Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Custom Profile fields

More
12 years 10 months ago #1 by clairence
I added a couple of profile fields to the user registration form on Joomla, and I wonder how I can get those fields to display in Kunena User Profile page?

thanks.

(using Kunena 1.6.3 and Joomla 1.6)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Custom Profile fields
The short answer is, I don't think this can be done.

As an aside, K 1.6.3 is not supported (you should upgrade immediately to K 1.6.4); saying that you have J 1.6 is a bit vague. J! 1.6.0 is defective (and so is J! 1.6.1); J! 1.6.2 do not work with Kunena. The only version of J! 1.6.x that works with Kunena is J! 1.6.3 and the only version of Kunena that works with J! 1.6.3 is K 1.6.4. (Of course K 1.6.4 works with J! 1.5.20, J! 1.5.21, J! 1.5.22 but we recommend J! 1.5.23 if you use J! 1.5.x)
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 10 months ago #3 by clairence
Replied by clairence on topic Re: Custom Profile fields
Hmm. For some reason I mis-stated. I've got Kunena 1.6.4 and Joomla! 1.6.3.

So I'm out of luck trying to include those extra fields into the User Profile page?

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #4 by sozzled
Thank you for clarifying your situation.

As I tried to indicate earlier, the Kunena user profile does not easily cater to the issue you have described. There are, however, alternatives that you may want to consider. One of those is to use Community Builder which allows for the definition of custom user fields and the integration of some of that information in Kunena using the cb.simpleboardtab plugin provided with CB software.

That being said, however, the fact remains that Kunena user profiles are relatively inflexible in this regard in the current version (K 1.6.4) and this cannot easily be changed at the moment. It is hoped that a future version of Kunena (after K 2.0) will be offer more scope to change this. Apart from the alternative that I have just mentioned, the short answer is that there is not a lot we can do at the moment.

You are not alone in this matter and, if this is an essential requirement, further development can be done to deal with the question. Given the limited resources available to the developers (and unless there are people willing to sponsor the work) this is how things currently are. Perhaps someone else may have other ideas; I have only tried to explain that it's difficult (but not impossible) to do this at the moment.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: clairence

More
12 years 10 months ago #5 by clairence
Replied by clairence on topic Re: Custom Profile fields
Thanks, sozzled, for the explanation.
Yesterday, I tried adding CB to a test site (mirroring the basics of my project), and was quite baffled.

Might I explain my focus, since I'm at once nearly done with the project and yet stuck at a seeming impass.

I've added two fields to registration ("child's name" and "classroom") with the intention of using them in the Profile, and in the Registration email sent to administrators so they can correctly identify the person requesting membership.

Would you be willing to talk me through what you mentioned with the cb.simpleboardtabs? I don't see that plugin anywhere in the CB I downloaded.

Also, though this isn't the forum for it, could you explain how I would add those fields to the registration email sent to administrators for approval?

Thanks for your help.

More
12 years 10 months ago #6 by sozzled

More
12 years 10 months ago #7 by sozzled
This matter was resolved. The problem was more about how to display customised information in a user profile but not, necessarily, the Kunena user profile and to link the Kunena forum to a user profiling system containing the extra information. The specific solution involved the use of Community Builder software.

More
12 years 2 months ago #8 by emediately
I have the same question.

I have Joomla 1.7.1 and Kunena Forum 1.7. I added 2 new fields to the Joomla user registration using the new User Profile plugin for Joomla (in J1.7).

Aside from that I modified Kunena's template, edited the "editprofile.php", and creating HTML fields and added text, however how can I pull information from the database (User Profile plugin)?

More
12 years 2 months ago #9 by sozzled
I think this is something that you may like to ask the people who wrote the user profile "plugin". People need to understand that this new "plugin" is a concept, based around a Wiki article that shows people what they would need to do. In other words the User Profile plugin link given in the last message is only a reference to a guide, not a reference to a fully-assembled and supported feature of Joomla.

There is no harm in experimenting with Joomla's features. There is also no harm in asking questions about experimentation here, on the Kunena forum, either. I only want to point out that it may be difficult for people to contribute to this interesting discussion in a forum setting. Perhaps, however, someone may like to contact you directly and suggest a few ideas about what you can do. I, personally, do not know the answers myself.

Good luck and we hope that someone will soon offer to help you with your very interesting project. :)

Time to create page: 0.388 seconds