Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Solved Im New to Kunena and getting spam everyday. Need Help configuring.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #11 by sozzled

ratmil wrote: I have noticed a "Stop Forum Spam Configuration" at Kunena settings. I guess it should be worth trying this.

Thank you for mentioning this setting.

The setting Configuration » Security » Stop Forum Spam Configuration » API Key does not protect Kunena forums from spam. Kunena uses this information (see the file ../components/com_kunena/controllers/user.php) to report the details of a spam account to stopforumspam.com when you ban a user.

I have updated the article I wrote with information about this configuration setting. B)
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #12 by ratmil
I just disvored that Kunena uses the Stop Forum Spam Api key only to report spammers, not to stop them from posting.
Also, regarding online spammers database methods, like stopforumspam, it is true that they may report false positives. This may happen when identifying spammers by IP. You can fix this by using only email addresses to identify. This way it will really hard to mark a real user as spammer.

More
8 years 11 months ago #13 by ratmil
Sorry, I saw your answer right after posting my previous message.
Thank you very much for changing the article.
About the advertising inserted by R-Antispam, I really thought I had already make it invisible by default. I guess I had the intention and then forgot it. I already changed the extension so this option is disabled by default, so the annoying link at the bottom is only shown if users wants to.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #14 by ratmil
Posting again...
Sorry for posting so much. I guess you will mark me as a spammer, ha ha ha.
I just want to note that you are right about R-Antispam detecting false positives. Yes, the heuristic method may do that.
Anyway, you can disable this option in configuration by unchecking "Integrate with Kunena". And then you can set the Akismet option, of course you will need an Akismet key, you can get it for free at akismet site.
So, this picture would be the preferred configuration of R-Antispam:

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by ratmil.

More
8 years 11 months ago #15 by ruud
Hi Ratmill,

thanks for the instruction, just to be sure:
you have set Kunena, handle all input, use plugin to NO.
This sounds like it is turned off? How does this integrate with Kunena technically if the above settings are set to NO?

sharing = caring

More
8 years 11 months ago #16 by ratmil
Hi, Ruud.
R-Antispam integrates with Kunena by default. It checks the text sent by users to the forum and applies a heuristic method to know if it is spam or not. However, as sozzled said this method may detect false positives. So, if you think this is happening to you, you can disable Kunena integration.
But you have to protect somehow, so you can enable Akistmet. This option will trigger spammer detection on user registration, verifying with Akismet online database.
That is the option I am using right now. Although I didn't get much false detection.

More
8 years 11 months ago #17 by ruud
Thanks Ratmill,

on my forums I have enabled guest posting. So no registration necessary > will the akismet option then still work?

I must admit that I 'never' had false positives (except for one of my own posts with a lot of links in it :)))

sharing = caring

More
8 years 11 months ago #18 by ratmil
Yes, the Akismet option will work. Although I can´t tell you how good it will work because I don´t have public posting enabled and spammers always get caught on registration.
But as soon as you supply an Akismet key, spam detection will be checked with Akismet, R-Antispam database will be ignored.

More
8 years 11 months ago #19 by ruud
okay thanks, just set Kunena Integration back to 'yes'. better to have double protection, and I don't mind the false positives as these are very rare and the negative impact doesn't even come close to the positive impact of having a spam free forum :)
Thanks for explaining!

sharing = caring

More
8 years 9 months ago #20 by ratmil
I am been using R-antispam integrated with Akismet. I have noticed that sometimes it fails to detect spammer on registrations. However, it does detect spam posts by this users who were able to bypass detection on registration.

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds