Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Solved SQL query to populate user_topics table?

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #11 by sozzled

harmlessdrudge wrote: Is there any narrative account of the data structures anywhere? I can read and work out code if necessary but English is easier.

A little off-topic to the central point of this topic - but a question that we're asked from time to time (and one that I wish I had a good reply to) - but not really the full-blown narrative discussion about the columns in within the Kunena-related tables, how they are used or how they're interrelated. Even today, I don't think the people on the Kunena development team have all the answers, either.

This topic may help What are the table names for K 3.0? . Remembering that Kunena is a dynamic open-source project - and the database structures are always changing - you can bet that the moment someone finishes documenting how everything works for K x.y it will be out of date when K x.y+1 is released. Therefore, in the absence of paying someone to maintain this kind of documentation and (as we all know, programmers are terrible at writing documentation) because maintaining this information as an unrequited "act of love", that's the way things stand. :(

harmlessdrudge wrote: BTW No, recounting didn't fix (forum stats were fine), however I have a lead (see previous message).

I hope the lead was a good one. :)

*** Off-topic ***

I empathise with the difficulties you are encountering in converting from a different forum to Kunena and I wrote about some of those challenges in my article I want to migrate my forum to Kunena ... . For what it's worth.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #12 by harmlessdrudge

This topic may help What are the table names for K 3.0?.

I have been using PhpMyAdmin and HeidiSQL to inspect and change the tables, both by editing directly and with SQL commands. HeidiSQL has a favourites button that I've set up to filter tables with the word "kunena" in them with a click (PhpMyAdmin is a little fussier to use in this respect but has some other advantages). So... I do know which are the Kunena tables!

I have figured out quite a bit by observation and some trial and error. I don't mind the non-existence of any document (I understand the dynamics you refer to) and would care more if there was information available but I couldn't find it.

Many thanks for your patience and responsiveness.

I think I have pretty much completed a migration from ning. Well... I need to go through a number of messages and update the links to images that are coming from ning now to local copies, import some avatars... and ??

There are however still very basic things I don't know yet. E.g. what the relation is between users in Joomla and Kunena (I've never used Joomla before btw). Of course, I did not sit down and read everything I could find on Kunena before starting, and don't know yet information exists beyond what I've skimmed on the wiki.

I have made some updates to the migrating from Ning post and could add a bit more if you think there's any demand (lots on Wordpress/Buddypress site). It seems I tried to made every mistake!

More
10 years 2 months ago #13 by jimrowland
I'm definitely interested in your migration lessons. I've skimmed through some of the other "migrating from" topics, but not the ning one. I have a project ahead of me to migrate my old forums (10 years of history in 100,000+ topics) to Kunena. We're currently using something called MegaBBS from PD9Soft.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #14 by harmlessdrudge
The Ning one is here: www.kunena.org/forum/migrate-to-kunena/4...rating-from-ning-com

It's actually a migration, effectively, from Buddypress (as an intermediate step, i.e., Ning-Buddypress-Kunena). Ning exports JSON files that are, reportedly, often corrupt. I ran into a couple of issues. My first import (Ning to Buddypress) left out 10% of the topics. I read somewhere that the solution was to duplicate and rename the larger exported discussions file. The other issues were to do with message sequencing and failure to import the first topic into Buddypress.

Once I had things in MySQL it was fairly straightforward to get things into Kunena using SQL. That still leaves plenty to do. One thing I would suggest checking out is whether you can process the content of messages satisfactorily to convert them to BBcode. There are passable converters (e.g., www.seabreezecomputers.com/html2bbcode/ ) which are fine for individual messages, but I found the PHP functions that I found online and which I could use not quite good enough. Ning has lots of irrelevant HTML in posts that put a bit of a spanner in the works readily enough.

I had only a few years with hundreds of topics and messages not thousands, so I was able to go through every single message and edit by hand where needed.

Whatever about Ning there ought to be an import from Buddypress. It should be straightforward, apart from the HTML to BBcode conversion perhaps. Buddypress handles Ning content very well and if the HTML conversion was a showstopper I might have stopped there. However, the security of Kunena + Joomla is considerably better and better suited to what I needed.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by harmlessdrudge.

More
9 years 8 months ago #15 by DrLulz

My original problem was getting attachments into Kunena without entering them manually, and this I have now done. I was about to about post that I then got an error on adding an attachment (despite recounting statistics), and I found that actually the error was topic related.

I'm trying to work through this myself. How did you generate the hash for the attachments? My post can be seen here .

Time to create page: 0.624 seconds