Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that relate to migrating from other web-based forums and converting the data into a form that will operate with Kunena.

It is important to note that the Kunena team does not have a standard, recommended or supported protocol for these ideas and that posting questions in this category may not receive advice from team members.

Solved SMF to Kunena

More
11 years 7 months ago #1 by StefanTwigt
SMF to Kunena was created by StefanTwigt
I would like to switch from SMF to Kunena. I have joomla! 1.5 with SMF 1.1.16 on the old site, and joomla!
2.5.6 with Kunena 2.0.1

I see a lot of topics about going to SMF from Kunena, no idea why, as we're missing options in SMF.

Does anyone know of a way to go to Kunena, please let me know.
If you have a reason to go to SMF instead of using Kunena, please let me know too..

thanks in advance!

Stefan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #2 by anfieldred
Replied by anfieldred on topic SMF to Kunena
Has anyone come up with a way of doing this? I am using SMF 2.0.2 but I really want to move to Kunena, if there is a way to do this can some please let me know?

More
11 years 6 months ago #3 by StefanTwigt
Replied by StefanTwigt on topic SMF to Kunena
we eventually got it working. First update SMF to the latest version.
Then install kunena 1.7 (not the latest version) it has a forum importer for SMF 2.0 which works.
After that we upgraded to Kunena 2.0x

A few buts, all images and files connected to topics or replies were missing after the import.
Same goes for all the avatars. However, we really wanted to switch, so we let our community upload and relink whatever they wanted...took them 2 days before we didn't miss anything anymore!
The following user(s) said Thank You: anfieldred

More
11 years 6 months ago #4 by anfieldred
So you managed to get all the users, posts and categories imported? Thats all I want!

Thank you for the reply!

More
11 years 6 months ago #5 by anfieldred
BTW, do you have a copy of 1.7.0 there doesn't seem to be a copy in the downloads section.

Thank you!

More
11 years 6 months ago #6 by StefanTwigt
Replied by StefanTwigt on topic SMF to Kunena
yep, got them all!

I think I added the correct files.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anfieldred

More
11 years 6 months ago #7 by anfieldred
Awesome worked perfectly and I have it now working on the Live! site...

Thank you so much! Now to update to the latest version of Kunena, this I am worried about!

But finally we are part of the Kunena community!!

More
11 years 2 weeks ago - 11 years 2 weeks ago #8 by FidelGonzales
Replied by FidelGonzales on topic SMF to Kunena
I recently performed the migration from SMF 2 to Kunena after attempting several times throughout the last four or more years. Each time, I have wound up using an extension (such as JFusion) to integrate the forum with Joomla, which often times led to technical issues.

The method of migration in this thread is the best. I would suggest, though, to begin your migration by first migrating to phpBB3, using one of the phpBB pages referenced below. The reason for this is that by using this method, you may retain the use of your attachments by migrating from SMF2, to phpBB3, to Kunena 1.7.2 and then upgrading to the latest Kunena 2.x. Otherwise, should you elect to migrate from SMF2 directly to Kunena 1.7.2, you will inevitably loose your attachments such as photos.

www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=13219422#p13219422
www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1013655
www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=12277955#p12277955

Due to several existing complications with my JFusion install and various hacks in SMF, it took me approximately six hours to successfully complete the migration. Otherwise, once I fixed these issues, the final migration took approximately one hour or less. Unless you want to contact every forum member with the new Joomla user creation, I would recommend disabling new user creation notification, as the migration creates new users for your forum in Joomla, and therefore creates new users upon migration import. I wish I would have known and considered this. Also, I reccommend performing the upgrade in stages, using the Kunena importer, since for large databases, you have less chance for a timeout/disconnection and also so you can isolate any errors that emerge.

You may see my forum below here ( mediaarmory.com/forum ).

Thank you for all your assistance. It is truly appreciated. I look forward to helping anyone who might need assistance.
Last edit: 11 years 2 weeks ago by FidelGonzales. Reason: Added More Documentation and Recommendations

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #9 by sparenton
Replied by sparenton on topic SMF to Kunena
Hi,

Actually, i do appreciate some help... We have a smf 2 forum, and want to migrate it to kunena. We've tried to go with the phpBB3 step, which is very nice, as we've kept nearly everything. But now, the second part seems more tricky to me, as i'm stuck with a "database connection failure" warning that i don't how to get rid of. I use phpBB3 and kunena 1.7 (in order to migrate correctly, then we'll go to kunena 2), both my databases are on the same server, the importer sees my phpbb directory, but the importer status information keeps saying that the database connection is "failed"... did you tell the importer where and how to use the databases ?

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #10 by FidelGonzales
Replied by FidelGonzales on topic SMF to Kunena
Where is your database connection error seen at? And at which step (configuration)? I recall having this error at various points as well, but the resolution depends upon where you're receiving this issue.

Your databases (phpbb/smf2/kunena) should not only reside on the same serve but on the same database. It seems this may be your issue referenced above.

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds