Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that are related to forum administration in general or problems in running Joomla. This is not the place to ask for Joomla support. If you want assistance with Joomla please ask at forum.joomla.org

Question Complaints about Mootools

More
12 years 8 months ago #1 by kapilsahu
hello sir i read in the kunena documentation that for kunena mootools should be enabled but i have one question why you don't rely too much on mootools since it is integrated default in joomla but think from the perspective of size i thought the size of mootools-more.js is nearly 230kb which is too much i think i saw the facebook & other site front page it is nearly 150-180kb & some site has total size of 600-800kb menas the mootools library is 20-30% of most of the site size so i think you have to start migrating from mootools to jquery which is realy very good for at that time it is just what i thinking please try to include this suggestion in your discussion.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Related to mootools

kapilsahu wrote: i read in the kunena documentation that for kunena mootools should be enabled

No, that is not correct. The documentation actually states:

It does not matter if users specifically enable or disable the System - Mootools Upgrade plugin; ... you only need to enable the plugin if you have other components that use the Mootools 1.2.4 Javascript library. Most sites will have this plugin disabled; this is normal. What K 1.6.0 does, however, is to automatically load the Mootools 1.2.4 library for pages that use the Kunena component.

Let's get the facts on the table: K 1.6.x requires Mootools 1.2.4+. There are no ifs, buts or maybes.

The Mootools library shipped with J! 1.5.23 is 116 Kbytes in size. The Mootools core library shipped with J! 1.6.5 is 82 Kb; in addition to the core library there is also another library (mootools-more.js) that is 219 Kb (in total J! 1.6 Mootools is 300 Kb). Given today's fast internet speeds, the load time for less than 300 Kb takes less than 1 second and the library only has to be downloaded once per visit to a user's website.

Interesting discussion. I think you should read MooTools and Kunena 1.6 which explains why the decision was taken to use Mootools.

More
12 years 8 months ago #3 by kapilsahu
Replied by kapilsahu on topic Re: Related to mootools
ok i agree with you i want to know that the mootools-more.js is also need to be loaded in frontend to perform kunena perfectly in joomla 1.6.5 or i can disable it for save increase site speed.
And other thing as you are saying that the 300kb is not too much but you also agree with me that google is anouncing in conference that he is giving preference to those site first which load faster & you see popular site like google or facebook they try not to use much images & library in their site to optimize their site speed & other thing you are telling that the library is loaded on user side only once but when i open my site the library is loaded every time can you tell me what setting i need to enable in my site to saves libraries on user side to increase site speed .On more fact is that today also many people are using mobile dial up in countries like india china where technology is not so advanced so i think try to use that library which uses less code & give good output
Thank you for answer my question i like kunena support
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChaosHead

More
12 years 8 months ago #4 by yog5121
Replied by yog5121 on topic Re: Related to mootools
You can compress Javascript with mod deflate oder gzip. ask your hoster :-)

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #5 by ChaosHead
Replied by ChaosHead on topic Re: Related to mootools
300 kb is too much for mobile browsers. Many of them don't support gzip.
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by ChaosHead.

More
12 years 8 months ago #6 by kapilsahu
I am agree with you that 300 kb is too much on the current woorld when sites like google & facebook run most of their pages under 400 kb & for mobile browser it is too much i think for mobile browser the site size should be atmost 300kb & in this case only mootools library is taking 300kb so i thinkthat kunena has to use other library than mootools.
Thank please consider my suggestion.

More
12 years 8 months ago #7 by sozzled
Comments noted. The Kunena project has no plans to move away from Mootools. Mootools is not significantly larger than jQuery with all of its plugins, anyway.

All websites servers should be set to compress ("GZIP") files. With file compression, the size of the Mootools Javascript library is about 40 Kb unless you use Joomla debug mode on. Mobile phone applications ... that's a different issue; we understand that.

More
12 years 8 months ago #8 by kapilsahu
can you tell me how to make the size of mootools library to 40kb with compression as in my site i have already on the joomla gzip compression but when i see my site in frontend & see it with firebug it show me the size of total mootools library is nearly 300kb.Please tell me the step how to compress mootools library to 40kb using which server compression technology . I am using lamp server with hosted on dedicated server .I have joomla 1.6.5 Ja social template & kunena 1.6.4.

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #9 by sozzled
The size of the files stored on the server does not change. What we're talking about here is the size of the download (i.e. what is used by your browser).
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 8 months ago #10 by kapilsahu
yes i am also talking about that when my site is downloaded on my browser i see it with firebug but the the of mootools-more.js is shown by him is 230kb nearly & according to you it should be 40kb .you can also see on my site .My new site which currently i am testing & talking about is
new.yedels.com

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds