Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question How do I delete "Child Boards" from forum header lines?

More
14 years 1 month ago - 14 years 1 month ago #1 by villager
We have set up the forum, and we are trying to make it as visually clean as possible. Above the subsidiary forums (which Kunena calls "child forums", a line is used that says "Child Forums".

This uses a line of the page, and also for our new users has the potential to be confusing. In common English a child is an under-age person. While the jargon of Kunena means it is a subsidiary forum, this is confusing for some users new to our forum. The first time I saw it, I found it strange and had to stop for a moment to let my brain figure it out, and understand the brain wiring of the person who put it there in the first place. Is this an underaged forum? Is it a forum for children? Or is it a forum for parents about their children? Did the forum have a baby?

Rather than change it (which is option B, if we can't delete it), we see it as not necessary and wish to regain the line.

We hope you can tell us it is a switch in the configuration file, rather than a modification that will get blown away at the next update.

PS: Did a search on "child" but nothing jumped out as focused on this subject. Apologies if I missed it.
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by villager.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 1 month ago #2 by sozzled
Thank you for your question. The terms parent and child are used in a technical sense that may not be intuitive or readily understood, particularly in a normal social context.

What if your "child boards" were called something else, like "Sub-forums", for example. If you could change how they were labelled, would this be an acceptable solution?

To change this, you need to edit the file ..administrator/components/com_kunena/language/kunena.english.php and change the lines that read
Code:
DEFINE('_KUNENA_CHILD_BOARD', 'Child Board');
and
Code:
DEFINE('_KUNENA_CHILD_BOARDS', 'Child Boards ');
to
Code:
DEFINE('_KUNENA_CHILD_BOARD', 'Sub-forum');
and
Code:
DEFINE('_KUNENA_CHILD_BOARDS', 'Sub-forums');
respectively. In fact, you may want to search the entire file and make other changes. Don't change the part that's in UPPERCASE though, OK?

More
14 years 1 month ago #3 by villager
Thanks for the helpful reply.

1) If the description that is seen by the user was made a user controlled description allowing a neutral description, such as "sub-board", that would help with jargon busting.

2) The larger question however is its utility in claiming a line of real estate on the screen in the first place. The art of screen design finds one theory that less is more. It suggests that if a person can see everything they need without hitting the scroll button, they are more likely to access the options. Thus, if the user can leave the description blank and find the line is not claimed by the child board header, that would be the best enhancement for the next release.

More
14 years 1 month ago #4 by sozzled
For your question 2: Change the file ../components/com_kunena/template/default_ex/kunena.forum.css:

#Kunena div.fb_cc-childcat-title {
display:none;
vertical-align:top;
width:100%;
}

More
14 years 1 month ago #5 by e.dom
Replied by e.dom on topic Hide "Child Board" word
Hello everyone, someone knows how to hide the word "child board" on the list of categories? I tried to change the file fb_sub_category_list.php but I don't get results and don't know how to do.
shouldn't be complicated. thanks in advance and excuse me for my English.

Emilio

More
14 years 1 month ago #6 by rich
Replied by rich on topic Re:Hide "Child Board" word
Welcome e.dom,

you find this in your "kunena.forum.css".
Search following code and add "display:none;" (red). When it afterwards not hide, then modify it, to "display:none !important;"

#Kunena div.fb_cc-childcat-title {
width: 100%;
vertical-align:top;
display:none;
}

More
14 years 1 month ago #7 by e.dom
Replied by e.dom on topic Re:Hide "Child Board" word
I love you, you know? eheheheh: D
many thanks for the help, I read the css many times but I was not able to find it. using display: none! important; worked.
Thanks again and see you soon

Emilio

Time to create page: 0.498 seconds