Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Menu links to specfic forum categories

More
13 years 11 months ago #1 by fluiddruid23
Hi,

I am having an issue linking to specific categories. Firstly, I have a link here: 174.120.171.71/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=15 , which takes me to the main forum page. That's fine, so far.

What I also need, is to be able to link to the individual forum industry categories from within the industry sections, so, for example, the 'Discussion' tab on this page: 174.120.171.71/index.php?option=com_cont...blog&id=2&Itemid=138 links to the 'Rail Discussion' forum, as required, but I need this 'Discussion' tab to highlight and for the user to remain within the 'Rail' section. Right now, it navigates to the frontpage layout, although it does show the required forum category.

I believe I could get around this part, as the itemID is 19 at this point and not 15, which is used for the main forum page. The issue goes further, however, as all links on the page use itemID 15, so wherever I now click I am going to end up on the frontpage again. :(

Any help/insight into a way to keep the visitor within the current industry section would be very gratefully received!!

Many thanks,
Matt Atherton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #2 by sozzled
G'day, fluiddruid23, and welcome to Kunena. Here's a suggestion you might look into: Link Menu Item to Forum Category .

I like the layout of your website, too. What a shame you had to spoil it by removing the "Powered by Kunena" at the bottom of the forum. :(

More
13 years 11 months ago #3 by fluiddruid23
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I had seen that other topic, but was hoping to come out of this without having to hack code...

As for the "Powered by Kunena" link - I understand your disappointment, but, then again I don't get to add my website link to the bottom of the site either and I built the whole thing! Client's wishes sometimes have to be respected. Sorry!

Matt

More
13 years 11 months ago #4 by sozzled
There's no need to hack code.

You wrote that the link 174.120.171.71/index.php?option=com_cont...blog&id=2&Itemid=138 should take you to the "rail" discussion. Well, it doesn't it takes you to the "rail 'blog".

The link to the rail category of your forum, in your case, is 174.120.171.71/index.php?option=com_kune...func=showcat&catid=5

Different URL. Try the correct one. B)

More
13 years 11 months ago #5 by fluiddruid23
No, I mean the 'Discussion' tab on that page, which you have to click. I explained the scenario "one click earlier", so you could see where the page should remain, i.e. when clicking the 'Discussion' tab, it should highlight and the forum page open there, not go back to the other layout.

Matt

More
13 years 11 months ago #6 by fluiddruid23
So, a hack is my only real option, it would seem?

Thanks,
Matt

More
13 years 11 months ago #7 by sozzled
I'm sorry, fluiddruid. It's 05:30 in the morning and I've been up since 04:00 and so, perhaps, I'm not thinking too straight but I don't understand what you're trying to do.

If you go to 174.120.171.71/index.php?option=com_cont...blog&id=2&Itemid=138 you go to the "Rail" 'blog page. That much I understand.

If you click the Rail » Discussion link from the menu on the top of that page, you go to your Kunena "rail" category (from the looks of it) at 174.120.171.71/index.php?option=com_kune...func=showcat&catid=5 .

So ... what's the issue? What "other layout" are we talking about? That's the part that loses me. :S

If you could help me understand better what it is that you want, we might be able to work through a solution together. I'm not sure what "hack" is needed.

More
13 years 11 months ago #8 by fluiddruid23
*smiles* Good morning!!! :)

OK, I'll do my best to go through it step by step:

So, the forum main page is reached thus:

- Go to 174.120.171.71/
- Click on the "Join the Discussion" tab on the middle of the page, which will take you to 174.120.171.71/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=15

All good so far.

OK, now let's try to get to a sub-category of the forum:

- Firstly, I'd like to show you the setup for each section, in this example, the "Rail" section 174.120.171.71/index.php?option=com_cont...=blog&id=3&Itemid=17

You will see that on this page, the Products tab is highlighted. If we click on "Rail Blog", then we move to that tab and it gets the highlight...etc.

Now, what I need to achieve is when I click on the "Discussion" tab, I get the forum showing on the "Rail Discussion" category of the forum, but remain within the "Discussion" tab, which should get the highlight. Currently, I am using a fixed URL on the menu item, which opens the "Rail Discussion" category of the forum, but takes me back to the frontpage layout and doesn't stay in the "Discussion" tab, as required.

I am assuming the Itemid=15 part of the URL has a big part to play here, but I am at a loss as to how to get around this, as even if I put a completely different Itemid in the URL, once I have the forum category open, all links (Register, Lost Password, topic titles etc.) still contain Itemid=15, so no matter where I click I end up back on the frontpage layout and not still in the "Discussion" tab.

Hope that's clear?!?! :dry:

Thanks,
Matt

More
13 years 11 months ago #9 by sozzled
Thank you for your explanation. I think I understand much better, and I've made a few comments in blue below:
    OK, I'll do my best to go through it step by step:

So, the forum main page is reached thus:

- Go to 174.120.171.71/
- YES, no problem
- Click on the "Join the Discussion" tab on the middle of the page, which will take you to 174.120.171.71/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=15 - well, apart from the fact that it's called "Join the Conversation", no problem there, either! :)

All good so far.

OK, now let's try to get to a sub-category of the forum: - Hang on a sec'! How are you getting to a sub-category of the forum? I would imagine you'd click one of the forum categories, wouldn't you? :S

- Firstly, I'd like to show you the setup for each section, in this example, the "Rail" section 174.120.171.71/index.php?option=com_cont...=blog&id=3&Itemid=17 - So what did you use to get here?

You will see that on this page, the Products tab is highlighted. - Yes, I see it but I don't know how we got here :S If we click on "Rail Blog", then we move to that tab and it gets the highlight...etc. - Yes, I that works :S

Now, what I need to achieve is when I click on the "Discussion" tab, I get the forum showing on the "Rail Discussion" category of the forum Which it does! :) , but remain within the "Discussion" tab, which should get the highlight. Currently, I am using a fixed URL on the menu item, which opens the "Rail Discussion" category of the forum, but takes me back to the frontpage layout In other words, it's just as if you'd clicked the "Join the Conversation" link on the home page ... now I understand the problem! :woohoo: - and doesn't stay in the "Discussion" tab, as required.

I am assuming the Itemid=15 part of the URL has a big part to play here - Unless you have a really strong preference for using URLs that look completely unintelligible to the average guy in the street, it would be preferable if you were to convert them to SEF, q.v. Search engine optimization (SEO) , but this might only be window-dressing on the issue , but I am at a loss as to how to get around this, as even if I put a completely different Itemid in the URL, once I have the forum category open, all links (Register, Lost Password, topic titles etc.) still contain Itemid=15, so no matter where I click I end up back on the frontpage layout and not still in the "Discussion" tab.Even though we haven't solved your problem (and this sounds more of a Joomla issue, anyway) I'm very pleased that I understand what you're actually looking for. Certainly it will help you, your users, and those of us interested in finding a solution, if you converted your URLs into more "human-friendly" ones. ;)

I'll have a think more about what's going on behind the scenes and let's also invite other interested users into offering their suggestions, too. :)

More
13 years 11 months ago #10 by fluiddruid23
Thanks for understanding! ;)

As far as SEO/SEF is concerned, that's a given. I just find it easier to develop a site when I can see exactly what's going on as far as IDs etc. are concerned (as in this case, for example!).

Hope something can be worked out.

Cheers,
Matt

Time to create page: 0.645 seconds