Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Multiple Email Notifications

More
11 years 9 months ago #1 by freedomcoach
Hi Everyone:

I'm now getting a ton of Email Notifications with forum posts, like 8 or more for each post. With the earlier version of Kunena, 1.7.2 I was receiving 2 (duplicate) emails and the same with K2.0.0 but with K2.0.1 this has expanded even further. All help appreciated. I posted my config in the other topic but I can paste it here again if desired.

Sincerely,
Howard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
In one sense, this is good news to hear. It shows that K 2.0.1 actually works as far as e-mail subscriptions are concerned. Let's see if we can try to fix the problem you are now having in removing the unnecessary extra e-mail notifications.

There are four key configuration settings that control email notifications. They are:
  • Forum Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Allow Subscriptions = Yes
  • Forum Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » E-mail to Multiple Recipients = <number>
  • Forum Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » E-mail Recipient Privacy = Hide Other Recipients (BCC) | Display All Recipients (TO) | Display All Recipients (CC)
  • Forum Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Visible E-mail Recipient = <e-mail address>
Obviously the first setting needs to be "Yes" otherwise there are no e-mail notifications sent. Your configuration report shows that you have configured this to be the case.

In respect of the other three settings, your configuration report shows the following:
  • Forum Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » E-mail to Multiple Recipients = 5
  • Forum Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » E-mail Recipient Privacy = Hide Other Recipients (BCC)
  • Forum Configuration » Users » Subscriptions » Visible E-mail Recipient = <e-mail address> (and we are guessing this might be your own e-mail address, yes?)
In addition to these settings, you can also subscribe to a topic and/or subscribe to a category. This is how K 2.0 handles these things:
  1. When a new message is posted on your forum, Kunena finds all the subscribers to the topic (and/or category) where the message was posted;
  2. Kunena splits the users into groups of 5; and
  3. Kunena sends e-mails to all of these groups plus the email address in the last (visible e-mail address) field
So, in your case, if you have 30 subscribers, 5 emails will be sent (plus one if you are also a moderator and you want e-mails sent to moderators when there is a new message posted anywhere on the forum)

If you want to get all the e-mails, you need to put a larger number into the E-mail to Multiple Recipients field (close to, but not exceeding 100); some mail systems (like GMail) do not allow more than 100 emails at a time.

From a privacy perspective, it's probably best to leave the setting E-mail Recipient Privacy = Hide Other Recipients (BCC). In that way, other subscribers will not see the addresses of the people who receive e-mail notifications.

These settings need to be adjusted (probably by trial and error) until you get a "fit" that works best for you. In your case, you may find it more useful to clear the field Visible E-mail Recipient

I hope this information helps you.
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: freedomcoach

More
11 years 9 months ago #3 by freedomcoach
Thanks, Sozzled. I will study your items carefully. BTW, now the email notifications are down to 2. I get duplicates for each message posted. I'll check back here after reviewing all the possible areas that could be causing this.

More
11 years 9 months ago #4 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Multiple Email Notifications
Are you getting two different emails? Or are they identical to each other? If they are identical, I need to fix that bug.

More
11 years 9 months ago #5 by sozzled

Matias wrote: Are you getting two different emails? Or are they identical to each other? If they are identical, I need to fix that bug.

In other words, what I think we want to know, is one of these e-mails received because you are a moderator/administrator and is the other e-mail because you have subscribed to the topic (or category)?

More
11 years 9 months ago #6 by Matias
Kunena sends different email to moderators than to subscribers. As "Visible E-mail Recipient" sends EVERY email to the address, you would end up getting two different emails.

More
11 years 9 months ago #7 by freedomcoach
Sozzled, I'm going through your checklist for email notifications and will get back soon on what I discover.

One strange behavior I'm seeing is that when users post in the New Member Introduction Area, I got a ton of email notifications, all identical. At least 8-10.

However, with other posts, I get 2 email notifications. I'm pretty sure they are identical. I'll share more data soon.

More
11 years 9 months ago #8 by Matias
Do you know how many users are receiving emails in New Member Introduction area? Because of you have checked a setting that sends you one email from every email sent by Kunena.

Because of you can have only up to 100 receivers for one email without it being marked as spam, sending email notification to 800 users would take 8 emails.

As I said before, I recommend of using email address that isn't your own for "Visible E-mail Recipient". That email address is just needed to prevent emails from going into spam folder as Hotmail, Google mail and others require that every email needs to have visible receiver in it.

So just make a new google account and use it in the setting.

More
11 years 9 months ago #9 by freedomcoach
Matias:

When I leave the Visible E-mail Recipient field empty, I receive absolutely NO Email notifications at all. This is a giant red flag to me since I'm (obviously) subscribed to many topics on the forum but for whatever reason, I'm still not receiving emails from any postings.

This situation is the same as it was in Kunena 1.7.2. It has not changed. I do not know YET, how many emails other recipients are receiving but I will check on this.

More
11 years 9 months ago #10 by Matias
Remember that you don't receive any emails from your own posts.

Time to create page: 0.408 seconds