Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Merged Last post First?

More
12 years 8 months ago #21 by sozzled
*** Topics merged ***

The post order is configurable on a user-by-user basis. This question has been asked many times in the past. See msg #2 in this topic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #22 by LN888

sozzled wrote: *** Topics merged ***

The post order is configurable on a user-by-user basis. This question has been asked many times in the past. See msg #2 in this topic.

But I don't understand that we are LOCKED IN to having the forum 'DEFAULT' to newest first ordering.... something that is COMPLETELY OPPOSITE to what most forums are structured. I understand that users can change their configuration themselves, and I think that's great... but why do I have to force all my users to change the forum to a STANDARD and TYPICAL view? Why am I as an administrator do NOT have that global option?

As I can see with all your 'merging' of this topic that I am not alone on this opinion. As it is configurable for an end-user, how much harder must it be to make it an option for the administrator? Why make it such a run-around?

Guess I will try that hack by LeFunk and see if it works...
Just my two cents... :unsure:

More
12 years 8 months ago #23 by LN888
K... the hack by LeFunk does NOT work... especially since his hack is for a version prior to 1.6.4
The lines pertaining to this would start on line 339 in the same file (view.php).
Code:
if ($this->myprofile->ordering != '0') { $this->ordering = $this->myprofile->ordering == '1' ? 'DESC' : 'ASC'; } else { $this->ordering = $this->config->default_sort == 'asc' ? 'ASC' : 'DESC'; // Just to make sure only valid options make it }

but I cannot make it so that it will show as default descending. changing the default_sort to 'desc' does NOT change the settings... especially to new users.

I sure hope that the developers have taken this extreme oversight and made the appropriate amendments for version 2.0

People (users) HATE the whole 'forced to opt out' situation. I would really like to make things straight forward for them.
:whistle:

More
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 1 month ago #24 by sozzled

LN888 wrote: But I don't understand that we are LOCKED IN to having the forum 'DEFAULT' to newest first ordering ...

You are not locked-in to using the last-post-first ordering. Do you see that here (at www.kunena.org )? If you don't see it here at this website then you know you are not locked-in to anything and that kind of destroys the argument, doesn't it?
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 7 months ago #25 by andrewn51
Replied by andrewn51 on topic Having a senior moment
I'm using 1.6.5 - Posts are ordered currently on my site as newest first - where is the setting for changing this to oldest first? Haven't been able to find an answer in the wiki...

Thanks,
Andrew

More
12 years 7 months ago #26 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Last post First?
*** Topics merged ***

The post order is configurable on a user-by-user basis. See msg #2 in this topic. Perhaps someone might write a Wiki article for this question ... one day ... :whistle:

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #27 by laurel
*** Topic split from Kunena SEO and last post first ***

changed the default ordering in the database for new users and in the User Manager from Kunena admin for the existing users.

How do you do this? Change the default ordering so that new replies are at the top? Newest first.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by sozzled. Reason: topic split, remerged, subject changed

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #28 by Plugje
Replied by Plugje on topic Re: Last post First?
The start of this topic is clear: users can change the order themself. But what I don't understand is why it can't or wouldn't be added in the configuration. Then every site owner can make is own decission. Also now not logged in users see the old post first.

Some people here are almost begging to have this option, and all the time pointing them to the start of the topic and repeating that it is not the way to do isn't much....let's say nice, isn't it? With other words: we decide what is best for you, even when it is not so hard to make this option.

One thing I like from Kunena is the many options you have as a site owner, only this option is missing.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Plugje.

More
12 years 1 month ago #29 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Last post First?

Plugje wrote: The start of this topic is clear: users can change the order themselves. But what I don't understand is why it can't or wouldn't be added in the configuration. Then every site owner can make is own decission. Also now not logged in users see the old post first.

Some people here are almost begging to have this option, and all the time pointing them to the start of the topic and repeating that it is not the way to do isn't much....let's say nice, isn't it? With other words: we decide what is best for you, even when it is not so hard to make this option.

One thing I like from Kunena is the many options you have as a site owner, only this option is missing.

I am not going to defend the current situation but I would like to make two points abundantly clear.

First of all, in my personal opinion only, I think it is wrong that a site administrator should determine the preferences used by all members of a forum. I think that, as far as practicable, preferences should be set on a user-by-user basis. Even if the administrator set certain preferences, such as message ordering, to suit him/herself, it should still be possible for each user to decide whether or not those preferences suited them. However, given the limits on what can be done, when building a complex piece of software like Kunena, on a shoestring budget, sometimes we can't have everything we want.

The current design of Kunena allows for each user to be able to set, on an individual basis, the message ordering. In other words, if you do not like the message ordering as first-post-first then you can change it to last-post-first. This is easy to do. This current design approach meets my personal taste that forum settings should (as far as practicable) be changed on a user-by-user basis.

The second point that I want to make refers to the statement "we decide what is best for you, even when it is not so hard to make this option". This is a statement made in ignorance of any established fact. The "decision" was not made at all. The design for K 1.6/K 1.7 did not factor in a change to the previous method used in K 1.5, K 1.0 or Fireboard. We may have an opportunity to address this issue in the future. For the time being, however, the current approach is the current approach and history will tell whether it was the right approach, or not. Changing the approach, so that there's a universal, GUI-driven configuration setting may sound easy to do, but any change needs the dedication of someone to actually make it, and the dedication of people to test it.

If people believe that "it's not hard to make this option", then we invite them to join the Kunena project so that they make the changes and assist the development team. Kunena is open source software; anyone can jump onto GitHub and join the project.

More
12 years 1 month ago #30 by cfut
Replied by cfut on topic Re: Last post First?
I believe what everyone is wanting is the ability to set a default for new users (or non registered users). So the admin could choose the default order for all new registered users.

Is it not possible to change the default behavior and still let users have their personal preference?

This kunena.org forum defaults to first post first like most other popular forums. How can we do this on our installations?
Thanks for the help.

Time to create page: 0.420 seconds