Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved K 3.0 SEO Meta Description Generators

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #11 by Shimei

Kubik-Rubik wrote: Hi!

I had the same problem and since I use Kunena on a website with two languages, the result was even worse.

My suggestion for the description function is

- limit number of chars to 140 (or more if you don't use the global description)
- add the language tag
- add global description (optional)

Code:
public function setDescription($description) { if(!$this->state->get('embedded')) { if(mb_strlen($description) > 140) { $description = mb_substr($description, 0, 140).'...'; } $lang = JFactory::getLanguage(); $meta_description = $description.' - '.$lang->getName().' - '.$this->document->get('description'); $this->document->setMetadata('description', $meta_description); } }

After I have changed the code, everything is fine in Google's Webmaster Tools (HTML suggestion - duplicate description) and the output in Google is better.

Regards

Which file and where were these changes made in?

*Edit: found it, nevermind.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Shimei.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #12 by Shimei

ChaosHead wrote: And again all threads with nofollow attribute?

I call this anti-SEO.

I found a way to resolve this without having to hack the Kunena files each time Kunena updates. I posted what I had done with a component here: Kunena 3 - Replace all "nofollow" attributes
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Shimei.

More
10 years 5 months ago #13 by ssh
This is an old article showing how to fix the meta description issue:
ayudajoomla.com/joomla/joomla-seo/655-me...l-seo-en-kunena.html

More
10 years 5 months ago #14 by ssh
The new changes to the meta description generator only applies for posts, not for the replies, and all the replies are published using the same meta description as the original post.

any idea?

Thanks in advance,

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #15 by ChaosHead

Shimei wrote:

ChaosHead wrote: And again all threads with nofollow attribute?

I call this anti-SEO.

I found a way to resolve this without having to hack the Kunena files each time Kunena updates. I posted what I had done with a component here: Kunena 3 - Replace all "nofollow" attributes

Thank you. But while I see that the years pass, but Kunena team can not fix these minor problems.

Using nofollow on links enables Googlebot to crawl other pages you'd prefer to see in Google's index.

Matt Cutts. support.google.com/webmasters/answer/96569?hl=en

Already waiting, as Sozzled asks my configuration report and write a post in which will be a lot of words, but it will not solve the problem.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by ChaosHead.

More
10 years 5 months ago #16 by Matias
There's just not enough free time to fix everything, so I need to prioritize my tasks. :(

The pull request is still in there and in consideration. I've also removed a few nofollows (which BTW, according to Google do not prevent it from visiting the URLs).

The issue on removing nofollows is that we have many different variations of the same URLs and only one of those is canonical -- eg. should be follow. If we just remove nofollow, large forums will not get (again) updated by Google and load on the site increases a lot.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #17 by ChaosHead
No need to remove "nofollow" from all links in Kunena. I ask to remove this attribute only from links to topics.
Example (nofollow links crossed):

Google`s search robot should easily and without restriction index all topics on any Kunena forum. Believe me, I removed nofollow on my forum. After 3 weeks, the number of visitors from Google increased by 30%.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by ChaosHead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kubik-Rubik

More
10 years 5 months ago #18 by Kubik-Rubik

ChaosHead wrote: Example (nofollow links crossed):

:blink:

You are right, I didn't notice it. This is very bad and needs to be fixed immediately!

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions
kubik-rubik.de

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #19 by sozzled

Kubik-Rubik wrote: You are right, I didn't notice it. This is very bad and needs to be fixed immediately!

Can someone please explain to me - because I really do not know the answer - how this is bad for www.kunena.org and what is the specific problem that must be fixed immediately. If something needs to be fixed at www.kunena.org immediately then I will make sure that it gets done immediately (as long as I understand the nature of the emergency). Is www.kunena.org going to die or crash? Are the pages at www.kunena.org not being indexed by Google? Are people unable to search the site to find information they need? Because these thing are important and could become an emergency situation that requires immediate attention.

So, if someone would be kind enough to explain the nature of the emergency to me, I would be happy to make sure that it becomes the project's number one priority. If someone has a solution that they would like to share with the project team, I am sure the developers would appreciate this help. Thanks in advance.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 5 months ago #20 by Kubik-Rubik
First, please read this: support.google.com/webmasters/answer/96569?hl=en

It is okay to use the nofollow attribute for unverified outgoing links but not for internal links! Of course this attribute can also be used for crawl prioritization on the internal link structure but why would you want to exclude the most important pages (topics / threads) from being crawled and indexed by search engines? That's weird!

Crawl prioritization: Search engine robots can't sign in or register as a member on your forum, so there's no reason to invite Googlebot to follow "register here" or "sign in" links. Using nofollow on these links enables Googlebot to crawl other pages you'd prefer to see in Google's index. However, a solid information architecture — intuitive navigation, user- and search-engine-friendly URLs, and so on — is likely to be a far more productive use of resources than focusing on crawl prioritization via nofollowed links.

As ChaosHead said, this should be fixed as soon as possible to improve SEO in Kunena! I have fixed it already on my project page. The fix is very easy and needs only changes in two lines in the view class of Kunena.

The result is that the titles of the topics have the follow attribute and other links still have the nofollow attribute. See screenshot (follow = blue, nofollow = red):

Of course I would like to share my solution if there is a demand in the Kunena community.

Regards

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions
kubik-rubik.de
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.517 seconds