Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

K 2.0 support will cease on 31 August 2013 and this section of the forum will be closed and archived after that time and no further questions will be answered about this version.

Merged Change browser window title

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #51 by sunny33days
Hello everyone, I just thought I would share my fixes, to improve the titles and to make them more search engine friendly (for SEO). These were based on the fixes mentioned above, with a few extra customizations. This improves the titles for both the Main forum page and the individual topics imho.

How to improve the Forum Homepage:

The Category Index is my main forum page, so I thought it was best to just use the Main Forum title only for this page (remove the Category Index language).

Go to: components/com_kunena/language/en-GB/en-GB.com_kunena.views.ini
And just delete the language like this:

COM_KUNENA_VIEW_CATEGORIES_DEFAULT=""

*Note: you still need to remove the “::” with step below!

2. Get rid of the double : : (just delete it entirely):
Go to: administrator/components/com_kunena/libraries/view.php

This is the fix previously mentioned above (to also fix the order and the double :, however instead of a "-", it's left blank as it's not needed for the main Forum home page now (as the Category Index language was deleted, no need for the : or - now):

Change from:
$title = KunenaFactory::getConfig()->board_title .' :: '. $title;

Change to:
$title = $title .' '. KunenaFactory::getConfig()->board_title;

This also fixes the order of the topic titles too (shows the topic's subject title first).

However you still want to add a "-" back to the topic titles only and also delete the word "topic" too: It's easy to add a hyphen back to topic titles only.. Just do this:

Go to: components/com_kunena/views/topic/view.html.php

Find this code:

$title = JText::sprintf('COM_KUNENA_VIEW_TOPICS_DEFAULT', $this->topic->subject) . " ({$page}/{$pages})";

Change it to:

$title = JText::sprintf($this->topic->subject) . " ({$page}/{$pages}) -";

This also removes the "topic:" language from topic titles completely, and the subject title is first now, and adds a "-" to seperate it from the main forum title at the end of the title.

For example, if your forum is "Widgets Forum" the Meta Title is just this now:

Widgets Forum

The individual Topic Titles are in this format now:

How to find Blue Widgets at a discount - Widgets Forum

This should be more search engine friendly.. :).
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by sunny33days. Reason: added bold and example

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #52 by ftlrs
Replied by ftlrs on topic Change browser window title
Hi all

I managed to get rid of the :: but I still see "Category Index".

Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

More
11 years 1 month ago #53 by sunny33days
Hi, did you see my last messge before yours. I just left this field blank in the language file. I had some other suggestions as well you may want to use to improve the topic titles.

More
11 years 1 week ago - 11 years 1 week ago #54 by Jean-Baptiste
Hi everyone,

This question is actually very good as I saw lot of people wondering how to do it. I just updated my kunena version to the latest one one month ago, and was not expecting this change.

I think I've lost around 500 visitors because of this change last week when Google took it into account.

I know that it is the way Kunena works, and this is a wonderful forum software, but is there any way you can just put the title of the subject as the main and only title, and not all these things that come before ?

Thanks for your help !
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Jean-Baptiste.

More
11 years 1 week ago #55 by sozzled
*** Topics merged ***

This topic explains how to change the browser window title.

Jean-Baptiste wrote: I think I've lost around 500 visitors because of this change last week when Google took it into account.

Do you know this for a fact? There are many reasons why people do not visit websites. This forum (at www.kunena.org ), for example, receives a lot of visitors.

The forum is listed well at Google and we have not changed anything in the software to remove the "::" from the window title.

More
11 years 6 days ago #56 by Jean-Baptiste
Well, we can never know for sure, but the website is still at the same position on Google for all the articles, except for the topics of the forum that just lost 2 to 5 places on their request after Google took into account the Title change.

Maybe not enough to be a 100% sure that it comes from this change, but quite an important possibility :)

More
11 years 6 days ago #57 by sozzled
It may be important to you (and I sympathise with you for your concerns) but, as far as what is listed on Google about www.kunena.org is concerned, this is not an issue for the Kunena site administration team.

Time to create page: 0.446 seconds