Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Important WARNING: Kunena by default is out of index with yandex and some others SE

More
12 years 1 month ago #1 by regdomain
Since Kunena has a hidden redirect from Joomla menu to own menu, search engine consider it to be a redirect and do not index forum main alias - that killing SEO. Instead search engines index "start" page which does not have any SEO links. Example:

mysite/myforum - link from the main menu (not indexed)
mysite/forum/start - actual link (indexed)

As for the years of existence we have a lot of external and internal links to mysite/myforum all our SEO gone. Fro the many reasons we also do not want to have forum start page like mysite/forum/start.

Problem could be partly solved by moving Kunena "start" menu item to the parent along with others, changing its alias to "myforum" and creating a item alias to it from the main menu.

In this case there is no redirect from the main page, but links to forum categories are different and therefore are not indexed:

mysite/myforum - main link (indexed)
mysite/forum/categories (not indexed)

XMAP also do not understand forum structure in this case and site map includes only one link to the main alias.

"forum" in mysite/forum/categories is alias of the parent Kunena menu item. If this is unpublished SEF crashes killing all links with "component" instead of the forum.

THIS PROBLEM MAKES IMPOSSIBLE TO USE KUNENA with yandex SEO and I am afraid with many other SE. Google shows the problem but still indexing forum with penalties to SEO.

Could developers please fix alias problem letting us having it back to

mysite/myforum
mysite/myforum/categories

Not to be out of index? I think that just kunena SEF must be changed to uses alias from the "start" menu? not form the "forum" parent item. I would hardly recommend to WARN ALL USERS about being out of index if normal menu item to the forum was used. It was a shock for us to know that we are out of index after 3 years of success just after forum upgrade.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #2 by GoremanX
Yeah, you're pretty much right. This is one case where the Kunena menu requirement gets a bit oblique. I've got the same dilemma on my own site. Links from the main menu look like site.com/forum while links from Kunena Latest or from emails look like site.com/myforum (because Joomla doesn't allow the same alias twice at the same level). What I did to alleviate the problem is add an http redirect in Apache that looks like:
Code:
Redirect 302 /myforum/ http://www.site.com/forum/
(edit: note, this snippet probably does the opposite of what you were asking about, I'm only showing what I was trying to achieve on my own site, which is to have /forum be the central focus of all forum activity)

This way, even though the link in the rendered page still looks wrong, at least it leads to the right place. It's not a proper solution for SEO, but it helps. The other solution would be to write a plugin which changes all instances of /myforum to /forum, but that ends up being resource intensive for very little benefit. It also wouldn't fix links generated in emails.

Just so you're aware, this issue has been resolved in Kunena 2.0, which is due out in beta form within the next couple weeks. There's a lot to look forward to!

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by GoremanX.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #3 by Mike-XS

Kunena has a hidden redirect from Joomla menu to own menu

Hi, (using default Joomla SEF) I've setup my site with a link 'site.com/forum.html' on the main menu and another on the top menu, both with the same menu alias 'forum' pointing to the forum index page.

Using live http headers in Firefox, I'm not seeing any hidden redirects when clicking on either of those links to go from the frontpage to the forum index.

(because Joomla doesn't allow the same alias twice at the same level)

What I noticed is that if you 'create' two seperate menu links for your forum on two different menus, for example one link to the forum is on the main menu, and another link to the forum is on the top menu, both using the same menu alias, then you may experience this error:

Please check your Joomla menus: Infinite redirect loop detected ...

If you instead 'copy' the original forum link from one menu to another menu (instead of creating a new link), you shouldn't get any error (at least I was able to get rid of the above error this way ) and you can use the same menu alias more than once without any problems.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Mike-XS.

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #4 by GoremanX

Mike-XS wrote:

(because Joomla doesn't allow the same alias twice at the same level)

What I noticed is that if you 'create' two seperate menu links for your forum on two different menus, for example one link to the forum is on the main menu, and another link to the forum is on the top menu, both using the same menu alias, then you may experience this error:

Please check your Joomla menus: Infinite redirect loop detected ...

If you instead 'copy' the original forum link from one menu to another menu (instead of creating a new link), you shouldn't get any error (at least I was able to get rid of the above error this way ) and you can use the same menu alias more than once without any problems.

The error you describe is precisely because the two aliases are on the same level. In the database, all menu items are in the same table. Something in the root of the main menu and something in the root of the Kunena menu both end up being at level 2 as far as the database is concerned, and therefore cannot have the same alias.

The solution you describe can break menu assignment by making Kunena generate incorrect links when it can't detect which menu item it belongs to. For example, the Kunena Latest module on a non-forum page will generate links which make no menu item active, thereby preventing modules that are assigned to the forum menu from displaying when the forum is reached using those links.

There needs to be a menu item in Kunena Menu which is a Kunena Entry Page type for routing to work properly, and an alias to that menu item is what needs to be used to create a Kunena menu item elsewhere in the menu structure.

THE place to discuss photography!
www.friendlyphotozone.com
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by GoremanX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike-XS

More
12 years 1 month ago #5 by Mike-XS

The solution you describe can break menu assignment by making Kunena generate incorrect links when it can't detect which menu item it belongs to. For example, the Kunena Latest module on a non-forum page will generate links which make no menu item active, thereby preventing modules that are assigned to the forum menu from displaying when the forum is reached using those links.

Thanks. I don't have the Kunena latest module installed yet, but I'll install it soon and test this out a bit more.

More
12 years 1 month ago #6 by regdomain
I am looking forward to see solution to this problem in kunena 2.0

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds