Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Is it possible to insert flash video in Kunena?

More
13 years 5 months ago #1 by TVGrapevine
Two questions in one I suppose.

Is there a way to use html code in posts? I tried using html tags to post a video from our own server with out success.

I also tried posting a video from our own server using the video tool available with out success. Example:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

These two things are parsed by kunena, the html will be not interpreted and the video code that you want use with the link doesn't work.

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
13 years 5 months ago #3 by TVGrapevine

xillibit wrote: Hello,

These two things are parsed by kunena, the html will be not interpreted and the video code that you want use with the link doesn't work.

I know the video code doesn't work, the question then becomes how do we publish videos from our own servers?

More
13 years 5 months ago #4 by sozzled
Support for flash video has been disabled in K 1.6 because of security concerns.

I think that's the correct answer. :unsure:

More
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #5 by TVGrapevine

sozzled wrote: Support for flash video has been disabled in K 1.6 because of security concerns.

I think that's the correct answer. :unsure:

With all due respect to the programmers and everyone else that works on this project not allowing flash videos and html tags in order to publish videos from our own servers is a huge miscalculation.

Those features are used all over Joomla without problem and have to be included just as they are in almost every other piece of forum software. Usually the html tags are reserved for admin use only. Hopefully we will see this option return soon.
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by TVGrapevine.

More
13 years 5 months ago #6 by fxstein
To this date Kunena has not allowed html. We are working on upcoming version that will allow them safely.

Flash files are a whole different story. You can create a flash file that takes over your browser. If you allow the public to attach such flash files, it means you have a big security risk. One of our members demonstrated the flash issue a few months ago. We have no choice but to block flash files from getting attached or we end up on all security vulnerability lists and face potential removal from places like the JED.

As nice as a feature might be, if it leads to security vulnerabilities, we have no choice but to remove it, if it cannot be fixed. Unfortunately we have no control over flash and its development.

The big difference between Joomla in general and a forum like Kunena, is that you allow all registered users and sometimes even guests to post anything they like, where as you have a very minor population of Authors and Editors or Admins of a Joomla website, that you trust.

We love stars on the Joomla Extension Directory . :-)

More
13 years 5 months ago #7 by TVGrapevine
While I appreciate and understand the concern about flash, it seems the issue is not flash but the source from which flash comes from. It is either trusted or it is not trusted and that is why it should be an admin only function the same as html tags.

The reason I say this is currently Joomla and kunena allow flash, it is just a matter of where it comes from and since it should be an admin only function you should be allowing site operators the right to decide for themselves on whether to use html tags and flash or not.

Just my humble opinion. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dirkovision

More
13 years 5 months ago #8 by sozzled
fxstein: It might be possible to implement some kind of whitelist to use with the video feature but this would have to be something for a future development of Kunena.

There is a wider effect than merely disabling .FLV files as this topic shows. While I agree that .FLV files from untrusted sources should not be allowed to infect an unsuspecting community, I don't think that this should also extend to disabling .MP3, .WMV, .AVI, .MPG or any other content that can be leveraged by the video tag as this discussion seems to indicate.

TVGrapevine: HTML code has not been available in Kunena (nor in its predecessor Fireboard) since its inception. The trick, as fxstein tried to explain, is to work out a way to allow raw HTML to be used safely so that it doesn't play havoc with your website or your community when someone cunningly introduces something you'd rather they didn't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dirkovision

More
12 years 10 months ago #9 by ricardofoto
I think this is a major question , once we don´t have all video providers to select ( especialy adult ones) and with no embed option in kunena forum . I think this is one off the most major "GAP" from Kunena!

Time to create page: 0.387 seconds