Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Idea retain menu on the side as you navigate through the forum

More
14 years 7 months ago #1 by joomal
Hi,
I'm quite new to Joomla and very new to Kunena.
I have set up 4 forums in Kunena. I would like each forum to be linked to a different menu item, and that (here's the bit Im struggling with) when you view a topic for that forum, the correct site menu appears. Let me explain...

The structure of my site is that there is a menu across the top with 5 menu items. This top menu is always there regardless of what page of the site you are on.
If you click on one of the top menu items, the page you go to has another (sub)menu down the left side with (sub)menu items corresponding to the top menu item you clicked. The top menu is still along the top and doesn't change. If you click on an item on the left menu, the page changes but both menus stay the same. If you click on a menu item on the top menu you go to a page with a different (sub)menu down the left side. Its pretty simple - I hope that makes sense.

I have set up four forums. Each one is linked to a different sub menu item on the left. These submenu items are on different sub menus (ie from different menu items on the top). I have set this up using 'Menu Item Type = External Link'.

When you go to a forum the top and side menus display as expected. *But* when you view a topic, the menu on the left disappears. Presumably because in Extensions->Module Manager, the module corresponding to that particular Menu is set to only appear on certain pages and the topic page is not one of those.

Does anybody have any suggestions how I can get this to work ?

Many Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #2 by Matias
Unfortunately you cannot do this by external links. And as Kunena 1.5 does not support different views, there's no way to do this. Kunena 1.6 will change this as it uses MVC views.

More
14 years 7 months ago #3 by xpozay
While I have not tested this you might want to try using metamod. Each forum will have a different url as you have discovered since you created links to it from the sub menu. Using metamod try creating different conditions to that the submenu of choice will show up when calling the forum page. I do this with virtuemart to show specific modules based on specific pages (urls).

More
14 years 7 months ago #4 by joomal
Hi,
Thanks for your answers and suggestions.
I couldn't use MetaMod because it allows you to configure how/when a module is displayed, but Kunena is a Component not a module. I tried numerous extensions which allow you to display a component as a module, but they all had the same problem (my original problem) that once you click on a link to a posting the menu disappears.

I have found a workaround, by creating a new template for my website which displays just the component and nothing else (no modules - no headers/footers/menus etc). I have set this template to be the default template for my site. The pages which display the forums automatically use this template. I manually set the original template to appear on all menu items on the site, by selecting them in 'Menu Assignment' for that template.

I then added a menu item of type 'Wrapper' with the url of the forum page. This displays the forum within a 'frame' on my website. The 'wrapper' menu item is displayed with the original template, and linked in Module Manager to the apropriate submenu. The forum page just displays the forum and nothing else. Even when I navgiate around the forum the header and menu remain (basic frame functionality).

This seems to be working, and Ive learnt alot about Joomla in the process !

The html for my empty template is:
(I just replaced the html of an existing template which I wasn't using rather than create a whole new template).

<?php // no direct access defined( '_JEXEC' ) or die( 'Restricted access' ); ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
" www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd ">
<html xmlns=" www.w3.org/1999/xhtml "
xml:lang="<?php echo $this->language; ?>"
lang="<?php echo $this->language; ?>" >
<head>
<jdoc:include type="head" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/system/css/system.css" type="text/css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/system/css/general.css" type="text/css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="templates/<?php echo $this->template ?>/css/template.css" type="text/css" />
</head>
<body>
<jdoc:include type="component" />
</body>
</html>

Thanks again to the Kunena team for a great product and looking forward to 1.6 !

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds