Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: user registration)

10 Aug 2009 05:48
Replied by sozzled on topic User registration issues

"Synchronize Users" not working

Category: K 1.5 Support Archive

awkuena wrote:

I am also having a related problem. When I register an account, after filling out the fields and then clicking "resister" I am taken back to the registration page with empty fields, but I don't get any message saying I have successfully registered. Also I don't receive an email confirmation.

But interestingly, the new registration does appear in my joomla user list.

OK, let's stop right here. As I have written on many occasions, user registration is not a function of Kunena. It's a Joomla thing. See what I wrote in Kunena users/members for example.

The reason that you're not receiving an email-on-registration is not something to do with Kunena. It could be how you've setup your mail service (see Register User Form not working for example) or it could be how you've configured your registration settings (see Activation Emails are not being sent for example). It could also be a factor of whether you are using the standard Joomla registration procedure or a third-party extension (like Community Builder). The number of possibilities is quite extensive and depends on what changes you have made to your Joomla website since you first installed it.

You will probably find a better selection of answers if you search at forum.joomla.org/

This is about as much help as I can offer you at this stage.
05 Aug 2009 11:25 - 05 Aug 2009 11:26
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Threads from Private Boards showing up in Forum Tab

Threads from Private Boards showing up in Forum Tab

Category: K 1.0 and K 1.5 miscellaneous third-party extensions archive

standarddamage wrote:

The problem is that if I disable that tab, the members won't be able to change their signatures. However, I can set the number of posts to 0 so that none of the posts show up at all for anyone under that tab. Which is probably what I'll end up doing before I open the new Kunena forums.

There are other alternatives, too, and I would investigate the suggestion made by Hurr1c4n3:

You can also unpublish the forumview field in the forum tab of community builder.

I rely on Community Builder for user registration, login and for users to choose/upload an avatar. The tabs on the user profiles are useful but they're non-essential and, particularly in your case, one of them creates a significant problem in terms of allowing unauthorised access to confidential and/or sensitive information. That, in my opinion, is an unpardonable sin and demands an immediate solution.

For your information, I have set the two relevant Kunena configuration settings thus:

Integration » Avatar Integration » Use avatar picture from = Community Builder
Integration » Profile Settings » Profile = Kunena

With these settings, my users can change their signatures from the Kunena user panel.

Keep us posted on what information you obtain from Joomlapolis.
05 Aug 2009 05:24 - 05 Aug 2009 05:24
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Kunena users/members

Kunena users/members

Category: K 1.0 Common Questions Archive

Oscarfishlover wrote:

Bloody hell, can you believe this? I just asked all my members on my fish site to test the one I have been playing with all day, just to make sure that their username and passwords work. So I enable registry and login about half an hour ago, and already I've just had a spam registration.

Crikey! :laugh:
05 Aug 2009 02:42
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Best way to populate Kunena with SMF users

Best way to populate Kunena with SMF users

Category: K 1.5 Installation, Upgrade and Migration Archive

G'day, davg. Are you running your SMF forum under Joomla? If you are, I think that you will find the following discussions useful:
03 Aug 2009 07:44

Kunena users/members

No doubt that question (converting your membership database) has been asked and answered at the Joomla support forum and that's where I would start. It should be possible to export the Joomla user table from your J! 1.0.x website and import it into your J! 1.5.x site; some conversion may be necessary. Like I said, the question has probably been asked hundreds of times. I don't think it's really a major headache - it will require your patience and perseverence - and I'm prepared to help you with ideas and suggestions if you think they're worthwhile.

In your case I would start the process rolling by establishing your new J! 1.5.x website. Even if the new site lacks the "bells and whistles" of your old site, you can begin by getting your users familiar with the new look-and-feel. Disable the user registrations on your old site and encourage your members to visit the new one. This will buy you some time to migrate the features (even if you don't necessarily employ the same component software that you originally used) from the old site to the new one.
03 Aug 2009 07:17

Kunena users/members

G'day, mate. I think I understand what you're driving at but, until someone else provides you with a better answer, I'd like to offer you a few thoughts to consider.

Kunena does not perform any of the user registration tasks like adding, changing or deleting user accounts. These functions are handled by Joomla. Other third-party extensions (like Community Builder and JomSocial) can assist these account maintenance functions (if you have them installed).

This is a very important point and it's one that probably causes some confusion. When you wrote

I was hoping that if I disabled the Joomla login/Registry system, so people could only register an account through Kunena, their details will be stored in the Kunena database.

I feel that it was important we make the distinction between what Kunena does and what Joomla does.

Although the Kunena User Administration function allows you to administer certain functions that registered users have in your forum (such as forum "rank" or moderator privileges), the Kunena user table obtains these records from your Joomla user table. In other words, when a new user registers with your site a a Kunena record is created from their Joomla account. When a user is unregistered (i.e. deleted from the Joomla table) the corresponding record is also deleted from the Kunena table.

So, yes, you can disable the Joomla registration system. You can also disable the login function, too, but Kunena by itself won't accommodate those functions for you. :)
24 Jul 2009 04:10
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Register User Form not working

Register User Form not working

mcauley wrote:

this is for an intranet and will remain local ...
can this forum still work there?

Yes, the Kunena forum will work (you said so yourself in your first message). xillibit is right about configuring your SMTP services. Without email, your users will be unable to receive messages asking them to confirm their user registration. Users can still register but they won't have the ability to confirm their registrations. You, as the site manager/administrator, will either have to register the users or approve their registrations.

When you attempt to register a new user does this action create a new Joomla user account on your site?
22 Jul 2009 04:28 - 22 Jul 2009 04:28
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Register User Form not working

Register User Form not working

mcauley wrote:

I've ... configured some things successfully and it seemed to work fine. The only thing not working is the register users form.

G'day and welcome to the forum. What happens now when you press the registration link on the Kunena page? Perhaps a link to your website might assist us in diagnosing the problem. :)
22 Jul 2009 03:59 - 22 Jul 2009 04:00
Replied by sozzled on topic Is this about Kunena any more?

my RSS feed is on a dirty protest

Category: K 1.5 Common Questions Archive

Just to inform the rest of the users as to what is going on, we've been looking into a situation involving an event registration function. Initially, Bruce was trying to use the Kunena RSS feed to display information (entered by his site members) on the front page - as he has shown in the example in the preceding message posted here. To achieve this would involve feeding information from specified discussions or a specific category. The Kunena RSS feed, of course, collects information across the whole forum.

Although it's possible to use Kunena to achieve this result, it severely limits its functionality as a forum to discuss other subjects. Even the latest posts module (that's been developed by other Kunena users) would have difficulties in achieving the desired result. Among other things, the main problems are:
  1. how to get a consistent look about the information?
  2. if a person who "registers" changes their mind, how do they unregister?
However the latest posts module does control the ability to display information from a specific category ... and this may still be a solution.

However, as this discussion topic has been about how to get the RSS feed display working - and that part has been solved - the purpose for which it is required is a different discussion topic altogether.

I have been working with Bruce in looking at EventList (developed by Christopher Lukes) at www.schlu.net/ which does the management of events and allows site members to register their interest in attending. This, of course, isn't the only event registration system available. For example there is RedEvent (which is based on EventList) from redcomponent.com/redevent which, according to its description, includes an RSS feed; RedEvent can be downloaded for free but requires payment to register in order to do that.

Returning to Bruce's last message:

I've done a mock up of the module to show who's going. I suspect that bit will be easy as a module is fairly standard.

The module on your test site should fit in to its own page just like the gallery or forum (eventually) did.

What do you think?

I think you will have some "fun" developing a module from EventList that will display the information as you've shown. EventList wasn't designed to be accommodated into a side-panel module position (it's more of a main component thing). Please keep me informed of your progress and your solution (if any). FYI, I was able to solve the dilemma in displaying the Community Builder avatar; it required a small change to one of the EvenList modules.

Cheers

sozz :)
21 Jul 2009 02:46
Replied by sozzled on topic Kunena does not handle user registration

how to add, change and / or delete users in Kunena?

Kunena does not perform any of the user registration tasks like adding, changing or deleting user accounts. These functions are handled by Joomla. Other third-party extensions (like Community Builder and JomSocial) can assist these account maintenance functions (if you have them installed).

The Kunena User Administration function allows you to administer certain functions that registered users have in your forum (such as forum "rank" or moderator privileges). The Kunena user table obtains these records from your Joomla user table. In other words, when a new user registers with your site a a Kunena record is created from their Joomla account. When a user is unregistered (i.e. deleted from the Joomla table) the corresponding record is also deleted from the Kunena table.

Sometimes the Kunena table gets out-of-step with the Joomla table. To work around this problem there is a Synchronize Users function that you can use to put the Kunena table back in step, to delete Kunena records where there is no matching Joomla record or add a new Kunena record if a new Joomla record is found.

I hope this information helps you. In future, would you please use a better topic title so that you (and others who have the same question like it) can find it through the forum search. Perhaps you might edit your original message and change the title like I have done in my reply? ;)
20 Jul 2009 03:07 - 20 Jul 2009 03:16
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:my RSS feed is on a dirty protest

my RSS feed is on a dirty protest

forumspod wrote:

I can't make the rss feed selective ... I've had an idea:

Set up a link from live site to dev site to a specific thread topic so that people can leave a quick message. Make sure there's only one way back to the live site via the top menu and use the rss feed from the dev site to the live site LIONS FORUM module!

Yes, I understand the dilemma and your idea will work. RSS feeds can be piped from anywhere you can get them. So, basically, you want to set up two places for where your users can leave data. Both places would run Kunena (because that has the easiest-to-use interface to enter the details. By running two sites with Kunena, you can generate two RSS feeds. You pipe both feeds into one website.

As you say, the difficulty is navigating between each site so that they appear to be the same site. You also have to overcome the problem of single sign-on for both sites (i.e. registration at one site automatically grants the right to login at both sites). Have I understood the sitation correctly?

The more I think about this problem the less inclined I am that Kunena is the way to go about it. I'd like to check out a few other options, alternative Joomla extensions, that might do what you want better.
17 Jul 2009 03:33
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Community Builder login and register

Community Builder login and register

I would advise against using CAPTCHA with login; you don't want to discourage your registered users every time they want to use your site. CB CAPTCHA was designed to work with the registration procedure. Relax and don't worry about it.

If this matter does worry you then you should follow it up with the folks at Joomlapolis . :)
15 Jul 2009 03:12
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Login and Registration links

Login and Registration links

Category: K 1.5 Hacks, Tricks & Tips Archive

Question 1: subscriptions not working - see www.kunena.com/forum/16-archive-installa...rum-not-working#9715

Question 2: disable/deactivate login/registration because it doesn't work well with Community Builder - also asked dozens of times. This is a failing of the Kunena's integration with Community Builder and I believe it should be fixed properly instead of us having to work around it. Like you, I make use of CB's login and registration functions and I've got other links on my web pages which users can access; the links in Kunena are, therefore, somewhat superfluous if you're like me (see demonstration at enduring.com.au/40P_demo).

To achieve this result I edited the file ../components/com_kunena/template/default/plugin/profilebox/profilebox.php; changes at lines 114, 118 and 176 by adding style="display: none;" to the <td> elements. The changed lines should be:

(line 114) <td class = "td-1 fbm" align="left" width="5%" style="display: none;">
(line 118) <td valign = "top" class = "td-2 fbm fb_profileboxcnt" align="left" style="display: none;">
(line 176) <td valign = "top" class = "td-1 fbm fb_profileboxcnt" align="left" style="display: none;">

I hope this helps :)
14 Jul 2009 04:08 - 14 Jul 2009 04:27
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:"Latest member" not updating correctly

"Latest member" not updating correctly

I agree with you. Kunena does not handle the "latest member" nor "total users" information well. I don't think it's ever handled it well. I would prefer that the "total users" should be the count of how many enabled registered users, likewise, the latest member should be the last person to have completed the two-step registration process and is therefore enabled to login and use the site.

I also think that, some time in the future, the Synchronize Users (sic) function should be redone to make it more obvious what the user is supposed to do.
14 Jul 2009 02:56
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Sick of spam

Sick of spam

Because Kunena, itself, has neither its own user registration module nor login module, how can this be a security vulnerability of Kunena? Moreover, since Community Builder claims to be more resistant to spambot infiltration (especially since you use some form of CAPTCHA) I wonder if it's fair to blame that component either. (I do, however, have other concerns about the reliability of CB's CAPTCHA system - from a support standpoint - which I've written about at Joomlapolis .) Basically, my question to you boils down to what are you paying for and who should you really be complaining to?

Let's accept the fact that sometimes these things occur.

There are defensive counter-measures you can install. I recommend Joomlawatch from wwww.codegravity.com. It's not 100% bot-proof but it allows you to discover where the bots are coming from, how they're getting in, and ways to plug the leaks. B)
Displaying 346 - 360 out of 381 results.
Time to create page: 1.184 seconds