Search Results (Searched for: )

28 Sep 2015 23:49 - 28 Sep 2015 23:50
Replied by sozzled on topic User profile for guests
Thanks for your feedback. I wasn't sure if uddeIM or the Kunena Login module may have any bearing on the problem.

From the sounds of things, the problem may involve changes made by the developers within K 4.0.6 Crypsis B3 template. As a test (to see if the fault/defect is confined to Crypsis B3 which, I admit, I haven't tested myself), can you test using the "standard" Crypsis template and let us know if this makes any difference, please?
28 Sep 2015 22:49
At least it's not a "blank screen", right? ;)

Without knowing too much about how the Kunena Login module and uddeIM work with K 4.0.6, I really couldn't say unless I spent an hour or two looking at this myself. Also I have not tried using K 4.0.6 with the new Crypsis B3 template, either. I don't use uddeIM or Kunena Login on any of my websites and so I'm not necessarily the best person to help.

Have you tried unpublishing Kunena Login or disabling the integration with uddeIM?
28 Sep 2015 22:36
Did you read the tips in HTTP 500 Internal Server Error ? What happens when you enable debug mode from the Joomla Global Configuration panel?
28 Sep 2015 22:02
Replied by sozzled on topic Display PDF in Forum Post
I understand what you mean. The "extra step" involved is to click the .PDF attachment—to then open it or download it to their own computer. I'm not sure how this is such a major hurdle but I have to confess, I tend to avoid uploading PDF documents on discussion forums. They don't open inline and I don't think I've seen any discussion forum where a PDF document does open inline.

If it's a requirement for people to display images inline within the forum, JPEG format—to put it mildly—is not "aesthetically" pleasant. PNG format is, perhaps, a little better.

I'm taking a bit of a sabattical from things at the moment and concentrating on matters that are a little closer to home. Perhaps someone else in the community has a similar interest to yours or, perhaps, the developers and/or moderators of this forum may have another suggestion for you. Good luck, mate.
28 Sep 2015 21:49
I had a look at your site and I see the error message. I'm guessing—and I could be wrong—that this problem may not necessarily be caused by Kunena specifically but it may be caused by something else that happens when a guest attempts to view a member's profile on your website. On the other hand, I haven't tested the configuration setting in K 4.0.6 Guests to see User Profiles = No.

When it comes to diagnosing "internal server errors" I would suggest that you might find some useful tips by reading HTTP 500 Internal Server Error
28 Sep 2015 21:39
Replied by sozzled on topic Display PDF in Forum Post
G'day. I "answered" this question in a kind of roundabout way a year-and-a-half ago, when I wrote:

It is not possible ... to embed a PDF reader into the forum so that PDF files can be viewed within the forum (in the same way as it's possible to embed a video player to watch videos, or the eBay viewer to look at eBay advertisements) but it is possible to attach .PDF files to messages posted on the forum. These attachments can then be downloaded by your users and they can view them if they have a PDF viewer (e.g Acrobat Reader) installed on their own computer.

As far as I know, this is still the case.
25 Sep 2015 09:56 - 27 Sep 2015 08:59

xillibit wrote:

ShockPuppet wrote: thank You Kunena Team for all your hard work.

Why the change to minimum PHP 5.5 ?

We are going to have minimum as Php 5.5 but we haven't said that it will be in Kunena 5.0, we are following developpement of Joomla! 3.5 and if the technical requiements change with this version, Kunena will change too else it will not change. So the mimimun of Php 5.5 could be in Kunena 5.1, or 5.2....

According to the approved plan adopted by the Joomla Production Leadership Team (see Section 6.4 Minimum Technical Requirements),

The minimum technical requirements, such as PHP version, database version, etc., can only be increased for the first release of a new major version.

This, therefore, means that the increase in the minimum technical requirements for Joomla are not envisaged before J! 4.0.0 whenever that may occur.

I overlooked the point made by ShockPuppet earlier (good point, by the way). What happens if a users has another Joomla extension that will not operate on PHP 5.5?

I really think this matter needs to be seriously reconsidered. In my (very) humble opinion, Joomla should be the driving factor for extension developments. We know that some parts of Kunena have not worked with older versions of Joomla in the past (and it's been a pain having to wait for Joomla to release something that will address those concerns) but that's the way of the Joomlaverse. I understand that some extension developers are unhappy with the speed that Joomla is playing catch-up; again, that's just a fairly common criticism among Joomla extension developers (just have a read of some of the material that Nicholas Dionysopoulos—the author of Akeeba Backup—writes!). :laugh:

But getting back to the issue, I am a little surprised that the Joomla team seems to be ignoring the community's concerns. As I suggested earlier , it might be an idea to gauge community's opinions with a quick survey. B)
24 Sep 2015 22:24 - 24 Sep 2015 23:30
See my earlier post in this topic above.

As a suggestion, instead of making the decision that K 5.0 will require PHP 5.5 now, how about running a community survey to gauge community support? You can make the case for PHP 5.5—and why you believe it's needed for Kunena to move forward—in a new topic and ask people to vote for the following proposition and allow peoople to respond accordingly:

What should be the minimum version of PHP for K 5.0?

1. PHP 5.3.31 (the minimum version required for J! 3.4)
  2. PHP 5.4.31 (as recommended for K 3.0/K 4.0)
  3. PHP 5.5 (currently supported by PHP.net)
  4. PHP 5.6 (the latest version supported by PHP.net)

Alternatively, if people wish, they can use the Thank You feature here to show their agreement with what I have written (or how you may choose to respond) or they can reply to this topic.
24 Sep 2015 20:36 - 24 Sep 2015 21:42

810 wrote: We are also going to deprecated Php 5.4

So you need to Update Php

min : 5.5..
Req : 5.6

See: php.net/supported-versions.php

I think that's a step too far. Even Joomla's own technical requirements are only PHP 5.3.31 (although they recommend PHP 5.4, or higher).

Just because the PHP website says that PHP 5.4 is no longer officially supported (or that PHP 5.3 "died" on 14 August 2014 ) does not negate the need for continued support for those who may require additional time for their webhosting providers to catch up. :whistle: Have a look at the configuration reports provided by your users to see what version of PHP they are currently using and use that as a determining factor in deciding what minimum version of PHP should be used rather than what version is "supported" by PHP.net .

I would suggest that the primary factor, in choosing the minimum versions of server operating system software to operate one's website, is whatever is needed in order to run Joomla. For example, some years ago my webhosting provider at the time was not using the minimum operating system software (I can't remember if it was PHP mySQL or something else) required for whatever was going to be next major release of Joomla. Because Joomla was moving forward—and I wanted to maintain my involvement with Joomla—I changed webhosting providers in order to remain up-to-date. My forum needs were a secondary consideration. The changeover involved a few hundred dollars but it was worth it because Joomla has gone from strength to strength. B)

If K 5.0 will require PHP 5.5 then I hope you will still be providing support for K 4.0 for a long time. In my own case, I am running PHP 5.4.41. I would also suggest that if you abandon K 4.0 (within one month of releasing K 5.0, as you indicated in your article) you will lose the majority of people from this community. I, for one, will not be upgrading to K 5.0—I will not even be able to test it—if PHP 5.5/6 is required in order to run it. :angry:
24 Sep 2015 10:42 - 24 Sep 2015 10:52
I do not have the interest to debate this matter here. I have already put my case forward in other places and, if people don't care, that's their problem. At the end of the day it will only require one complaint put to the authorities and the Kunena developers may find themselves in more trouble than they bargained for.

Yes, it's one thing to put a warning on merchandise and say "stay out of here if you are not qualified to modify the product" and it's an entirely different matter if the merchandise does not have tamper-proof safeguards to prevent its possible misuse.

In my opinion, a "warning" is not a safeguard against potential misuse.

Returning to the "car" analogy, most vehicles used in crimes are stolen. It is a requirement, these days, for motor vehicle manufacturers to equip cars with engine immobilisers. However much we play games with analogies, the fact remains that from just about any way you look at this, freely placing the means to illegally invade peoples' privacy with web software makes the author of that software an accessory to the illegal misuse of that software.

By the way, although we're not discussing "hacking"', one doesn't have to have a notice placed somewhere to say that it's illegal to hack into a website. "Hacking" (in this sense) is illegal anyway and most countries have anti-hacking laws. So, no, it's not a case of "it's not illegal because no-one said otherwise." It's illegal because the law says it's illegal.
24 Sep 2015 10:15

ruud wrote:

sozzled wrote: 2) The article makes the point that autosubscribe will only be "allowed for B2B". How will K 5.0 ensure that websites where autosubcribe is implemented are used only for B2B purposes to ensure its legality ?

How do eg car manufacturers ensure that their cars are not used as getaway cars in a bank robbery?

That is an unfair analogy.

A better comparison would be, "How does Microsoft ensure that a person using the Windows operating system have the legal right to obtain updates?"
24 Sep 2015 00:02 - 24 Sep 2015 00:16
I am pleased to see that the developers have made an effort to communicate a broad plan of upcoming developments to Kunena (K 5.0) as well as advance information about the forthcoming K 4.0.6 .

I would like to ask a couple of questions, please.

Autosubscribe

The suggested improvement to add an autosubcribe feature as part of K 5.0 was first indicated as a "target" for K 4.0. The discussion at GitHub (that has now been closed) suggested that this feature would be factored into K 4.0.6, if my understanding is correct, but the blog article suggests otherwise.

1) Has the autosubscribe feature been deferred to K 5.0 or is it still intended to be included in K 4.0.6?

2) The article makes the point that autosubscribe will only be "allowed for B2B". How will K 5.0 ensure that websites where autosubcribe is implemented are used only for B2B purposes to ensure its legality ?

PHP 5.5

The article mentions that, from K 5.0, Kunena support for PHP 5.3 will be deprectated—I assume that there will be a check to prevent attempted installation if a website uses PHP 5.3 (or lower). The article recommends that people upgrade to PHP 5.5.

3) What is the minimum version of PHP required to install K 5.0?

Forum template options

4) With the arrival of K 5.0 and the removal of Blue Eagle support (and therefore all alternative templates that are derived from Blue Eagle) and the focus now on Crypsis, what resources will be made available for members of the Kunena community and other template developers to be able to design and construct their own templates?

5) Will resources be freely available for members of the Kunena community to be able to design and construct their own templates, or will an additional cost be required to make those resources available?

Thank you. I look forward to seeing the replies to my questions. :)
23 Sep 2015 10:48
... but it works OK on Blue Eagle, right?
23 Sep 2015 08:52
I do not think this problem has anything to do with Kunena.

Your configuration report shows that you are using sh404SEF. Please ask the forum moderators to move this topic to the sh404SEF category.

Please read the sticky topic in that category: To what extent does sh404SEF support Kunena? .

The Kunena Search plugin does not work with sh404SEF. This is why you are having your problem.

Also, you should know, that the third-party Kunena template you are using from Joomlashine will not work with K 4.0.5. If you do not believe me, try to look at any user profile on your forum. It will produce a fatal error if you (or anyone else) has uploaded attachments to your forum.

You should also change the forum integration plugins as indicated in red text below:

Kunena - AlphaUserPoints Disabled
Kunena - Community Builder Disabled
Kunena - Gravatar Disabled
Kunena - JomSocial Disabled
Kunena - Joomla Enabled: access=1 login=1
Kunena - Kunena Enabled: avatar=1 profile=1
Kunena - UddeIM Enabled: Disabled
23 Sep 2015 03:30
A better option would be to fix the problem and release a new version, in my opinion. When will this be done?
Displaying 331 - 345 out of 20338 results.
Time to create page: 2.480 seconds