Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: user registration)

20 Apr 2010 15:47
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Cannot register any users!

Cannot register any users!

Category: Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla

User registration is a bit trickier on a local PC - like one running WAMP or XAMPP - because you don't have a mail server. So how do you do the user confirmation? This is a Joomla issue. Please look at help.joomla.org to address your user registration issues.

Kunena is not responsible for user registration, pure and simple. I don't know any other way of saying this. You don't need any other components to register your users but, in a local server configuration, users cannot self-register. In other words (because you don't have a mail server) you have to do the user confirmation yourself. This is a Joomla User Administration issue - it has nothing to do with Kunena.
20 Apr 2010 15:23
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Cannot register any users!

Cannot register any users!

Category: Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla

G'day, sylther, and welcome to the forum. I sometimes have to remind new users about the policy relating to the Support category where you posted your question: K 1.5.x Support: Please read this first.

So, having said this, can you please fill in the missing blanks: What version of Kunena are you using? What Kunena template are you using? What version of Joomla are you using?

Many new users are unaware that Kunena is not responsible for user registration or login or logout: these are Joomla functions. Kunena is not responsible for user registration, pure and simple. User registration is a Joomla function that may, or may not, be assisted by other components such as JomSocial or Community Builder or others. Kunena makes it possible to utilise these other components. In short, these are not Kunena matters.

Can you please demonstrate how you feel that your problems tie-in with Kunena? What is this "registration page" that keeps "refreshing". Who designed or developed it?
07 Apr 2010 11:14 - 07 Apr 2010 11:41
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:"You must log in first" message

"You must log in first" message

Category: K 1.5 Common Questions Archive

G'day, Nadia, and welcome to the forum. There are a few issues here that we've canvassed many times before but there also seem to be some basic functions of your Joomla website that are not functioning 100% correctly. I have sent you a PM; if you like we could discuss these things off-line in order to get your problems resolved as quickly as possible. :)

As I sometimes have to remind new members who post to this forum,
    The
Support category, where you posted your question, is intended to be used to address problems with the unmodified core Kunena software - not to ask how to change it or to discuss problems people might encounter with third-party software extensions - or to report defects that you are have found - not to ask questions about how to use the software normally or how to use Joomla normally. We give these support topics higher priority than other topics, particularly around the time when there is a new release of Kunena (as there was only a couple of days ago), in order to ensure that defects are not passed on to other users. I have moved your topic to a more appropriate section.We also get many questions relating to the subject of user registration and login and, in very broad terms, I will repeat the advice I have given in the past: Kunena doesn't actually do login or user registration.

Kunena is not responsible for user registration, pure and simple. User registration is a Joomla function that may, or may not, be assisted by other components such as JomSocial or Community Builder or others. Kunena makes it possible to utilise these other components. In short, these are not Kunena matters.

However, the registration and login links at the top the Kunena forum pages do present unusual challenges to new users and I completely sympathise with the confusion that ensues. There are ways that you can use to overcome some of these issues - and I'm happy to discuss them with you - but I agree that this is a significant shortcoming of Kunena. There is light at the end of the tunnel insofar as these problems have been eradicated in the yet-to-be-released K 1.6 ... so you may have to be patient a little while longer for a permanent solution.
07 Apr 2010 03:59 - 07 Apr 2010 03:59
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Referrals?

Referrals?

Category: K 1.5 Common Questions

G'day, joomlamanisdaman, and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your question. No, there isn't a feature like this implemented in Kunena. Although I've never seen this feature implemented any web-based forum that I've seen before (and I've seen or used a few hundred) and although I'm not sure if it quite fits into the forum niche, something like what you envisage might be available within the Joomla development space. Have you looked at the Joomla Extensions Directory to see if a feature like this has been developed?

Kunena does not have responsibility for handling new user registrations: Kunena automatically creates a user record when a new user registers using the Joomla user registration process (or if the Joomla user registration is assisted by some other third-party component like JomSocial or Community Builder). Because Kunena does not handle user registrations - and there are no plans to change this - I would think that it would be rather difficult (impossible?) for Kunena to implement the feature that you suggested. At present, Kunena is essentially a forum component for Joomla. Therefore, the first thing that has to change is to transition Kunena into becoming a community management and forum component. That's possibly something for the future. :)
06 Apr 2010 04:39
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:No user login desired

No user login desired

Thank you, Cerberus, for making my job here so much easier! :)

I just want to add a short comment to this topic - and for the benefit of others who may also be interested in future: Kunena doesn't actually do login or user registration.

I will repeat what I have written elsewhere ( Registration Page Issues ):

As I am "fond" of telling people ;), Kunena is not responsible for user registration, pure and simple. User registration is a Joomla function that may, or may not, be assisted by other components such as JomSocial or Community Builder or others. Kunena makes it possible to utilise these other components.

Therefore if you want to allow or prevent users from registering, you achieve these objectives via Joomla (see help.joomla.org to find out more about that) - these are not Kunena matters.

Your forum will thrive or fail because of the content that your users give, not whether they have to register or not. If your users are confused then let them ask you questions and wait for the questions to be asked before you worry unnecessarily about the possibilities. Does that seem like good advice?
28 Mar 2010 11:00
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:CB CAPTCHA does not appear on Kunena Login form?

CB CAPTCHA does not appear on Kunena Login form?

Category: K 1.0 and K 1.5 miscellaneous third-party extensions archive

If I understand your problem correctly, you are saying that you are experiencing a problem with users being able to login to your website. Is that correct?

As I am "fond" of telling people ;), Kunena is not responsible for user login or registration. User login and registration are Joomla functions that may, or may not, be assisted by other components such as JomSocial or Community Builder or others. Kunena makes it possible to utilise these other components.

We have had many discussions about how well Kunena integrates the registration/login/logout functions with JomSocial and CB but, setting those aside, I strongly doubt that Kunena is involved in your problem. Your problem concerns CB Captcha which has nothing at all to do with Kunena.

Please refer your questions about CB Captcha to the people who are responsible for supporting that software: www.joomlapolis.com
24 Mar 2010 03:09
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:K 1.6 Attention all Kunenans: Help wanted to build a Testing Plan

K 1.6 Attention all Kunenans: Help wanted to build a Testing Plan

Category: General Feedback Archive

Kunena works on its own, out-of-the box, in a stock-standard Joomla installation. Many users, however, are attracted to other community management software products like Community Builder, JomSocial, and AlphaUserPoints. Users may choose to use none of these, or any one of them.

One of the last tests in any Kunena testing would be this:
  1. Optionally, install one of the following community management software components:
    • JomSocial
    • Community Builder
    • AlphaUserPoints
  2. Verify that the Kunena login, registration links correctly interface with the installed optional component
  3. Verify the Kunena forum utilises the user avatar images managed by the installed optional component

A further test could also be as follows:
  1. Optionally, install one of the following community management software components:
    • JomSocial
    • uddeIM
    • Community Builder
  2. Verify that the Kunena PM link correctly interfaces to the installed optional component
16 Mar 2010 01:18
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Antispam and CAPTCHA

Antispam and CAPTCHA

As a general comment, Kunena is not responsible for user account registration (nor user login, either). Therefore the setting that you referred to, Kunena's CAPTCHA-powered "Spam protection system", has nothing to do with your user registration problems. This setting only has a purpose if you allow anonymous, "guest" posting privileges on your forum.

What specific problems are your users encountering with account creation?
07 Mar 2010 04:36
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Login button redirects user to: /component/user/

Login button redirects user to: /component/user/

Category: K 1.5 Installation, Upgrade and Migration Archive

* Go to: seo-web-design-co.com (No problem there)
* Click on: Forum (No problem there, either)
* Click Register (The registration form appears)
* Fill out registration. (For security reasons we do not register ourselves at users websites, but I assume that this function works as you have described.)
* It takes you to: seo-web-design-co.com/component/user/ where is says, "Welcome to the registered user area of our site." (OK, so users have registered. Sounds like everything is working as it should.) But have users activated their registration and have they logged in to your website? :unsure:

Here is what I wrote on the subject about an hour ago:

I have said this, and others have also said this, on many occasions: Kunena is not responsible for how users register or login to your website. That's the start, the middle and (pretty much) the end of the discussion. Joomla handles the way your users register and login. The Joomla registration process may be helped by third-party extensions like Community Builder or JomSocial or other extensions if you have installed them. :)

Kunena displays the "Please login or register" options at the top of the forum pages. Sometimes this works for people and sometimes it doesn't quite meet their particular needs. Everyone is different. Sometimes people want to use this area for other purposes; sometimes they just want the whole thing to go away altogether. Again, there's no commonality among the different kinds of requests we get on this topic. However, from a support perspective, the feature (that is, the login/registration links incorporated into Kunena) that you've referred to, this actually works. B)

Can users, who register at your website, login after they've registered and activated their accounts?

When your users have activated their accounts they can login and they should be able to post messages to your Kunena forum.
07 Mar 2010 03:11
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Please Test Login,

Please Test Login,

Category: K 1.5 Support Archive

I have said this, and others have also said this, on many occasions: Kunena is not responsible for how users register or login to your website. That's the start, the middle and (pretty much) the end of the discussion. Joomla handles the way your users register and login. The Joomla registration process may be helped by third-party extensions like Community Builder or JomSocial or other extensions if you have installed them. :)

Kunena displays the "Please login or register" options at the top of the forum pages. Sometimes this works for people and sometimes it doesn't quite meet their particular needs. Everyone is different. Sometimes people want to use this area for other purposes; sometimes they just want the whole thing to go away altogether. Again, there's no commonality among the different kinds of requests we get on this topic. However, from a support perspective, the feature (that is, the login/registration links incorporated into Kunena) that you've referred to, this actually works. B)
07 Mar 2010 02:42
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Please Test Login,

Please Test Login,

I'm sorry. I don't understand your problem.

If you are having a user registration problem, please understand that this is not a Kunena support issue. You should seek assistance from the Joomla help forum . Kunena is not responsible for user registration.

If you are having a problem with users logging in, again that's primarily a Joomla issue and the solution may also lie in the same place.

If I have misunderstood your question, please let me know. :)
05 Mar 2010 01:27
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:I am trying to get started to use kunena for a website!

I am trying to get started to use kunena for a website!

You can find the answers to questions like Local Area Network and Domain Names if you use Google.

No, it's not a simple matter of getting hold of a sub-domain for free, not unless the owner of the domain allows it. That's something you have to negotiate with the owner of the domain. If you own your own domain, you can use any sub-domain name that you like (if you want). For instance, suppose you owned the domain tom.com; you could create a site called kunena.tom.com or another one called myhobbies.tom.com and so on and so forth. People who obtain their own domain names usually acquire them through a domain name registration service provider. The cost varies from provider to provider. Normally, you obtain the right to use the domain name for a limited time after which you need to renew your licence. A typical price for a .com domain name is about $5 a year for two years. Acquiring a domain name does not equate to having a webhosting provider. That's a separate issue.

Suppose you buy your internet hosting plan though sozzled's international webhosting company (sozzleds-iwc.net). And let us say that this fictitious company allows its users who don't own their own domain names to use their domain. They might let you use tom.sozzleds-iwc.net. These kinds of options vary between webhosting companies. Again, a phone call to them can answer this question.
04 Mar 2010 13:20
Replied by sozzled on topic Re:Latest members wrong display

[Topic closed by moderator - lack of interest; outdated version] Latest members wrong display

Thank you. This also confirms that the user registration procedures are working. The next question is, if you look at the Kunena User Administration panel in the backend, are those users listed there?
04 Mar 2010 13:14

[Topic closed by moderator - lack of interest; outdated version] Latest members wrong display

OK. The question now is, have you actually approved those requests for registration and have the users activated their accounts and have they successfully posted anything to your Kunena forum? :dry:
04 Mar 2010 12:00

So, in your case you are not using Community Builder or JomSocial for user registrations? Is that correct?

Your Themza site template unlikely to have an impact on this issue.
Displaying 301 - 315 out of 381 results.
Time to create page: 1.063 seconds