Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: user registration)

08 Oct 2010 05:38
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Disable new user auto-approve , H O W ?

Disable new user auto-approve , H O W ?

Category: K 1.0 and K 1.5 miscellaneous third-party extensions archive

Yes, as xillibit correctly states, user registration (and approval) is not a Kunena function.

Thank you for posting your configuration report. While I have your attention, please read important information about Legacy mode . Thanks.
04 Oct 2010 04:15
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: moderators in moderation

moderators in moderation

Category: K 1.6 and K 1.7 Common Questions Archive

See How to assign a moderator to my Kunena forum

You may need to perform a "synchronize user" to get the "dummy" Joomla user registration synched into the Kunena user table. See Synchronizing users which might help.
04 Oct 2010 03:24
Replied by sozzled on topic How to protect my forum from spam

How to protect my forum from spam

Category: Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla

Mick wrote: Can it be set so I have to ok new members?

G'day, Mick, and welcome to Kunena.

Kunena is not responsible for user registration. User registration is a Joomla function. Joomla registration, itself, does not ask you if you want to OK new user registrations: you either allow everyone to register or you allow no-one to register (that is, you have to register people yourself). To get around this issue, you can install third-party user registration extensions for Joomla that allow you to challenge new user registrations. The Joomla Extensions Directory has details of many extensions that you can use: JomSocial and Community Builder are two popular extensions.

Some website seem to attract more spam than others. Fan sites, gaming sites, anime sites ... these seem to be prime targets for spam. Spammers aren't likely to lob into a site for discussing macrame pot-plant holders, for example. ;)

There are many things you can do to protect yourself against spam but, as I have written on many occasions before:

"The only truly effective remedy against spam is vigilance."

25 Sep 2010 09:57
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: New users and registration fields

New users and registration fields

Category: General Feedback Archive

Kunena is not responsible for user registration.
13 Sep 2010 14:03 - 13 Sep 2010 14:04
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Automatic e-mails for new registered users

Automatic e-mails for new registered users

Category: K 1.7 Common Questions

Kunena doesn't do user registration. Joomla does user registration.

You can also do user registration with third-party products (like JomSocial or Community Builder and others). You can find a list of third-party products that may send automatic "welcoming" messages to your new users by browsing the Joomla Extensions Directory

There are no features in Kunena to do what you want to do.
04 Sep 2010 03:14
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: kunena registration extra field birthday and gender

kunena registration extra field birthday and gender

Category: K 1.5 Common Questions

User registration is not done by Kunena. If you want to collect this information at registration time and map those details into Kunena user profiles, you need a third-party registration product like JomSocial or Community Builder.
25 Aug 2010 03:59
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: [Merged Topic] Automatically subscribe all members to be notified of any new messages

"Automatically" subscribe all members to be notified of any new messages

Category: General Feedback

G'day, erik, and welcome to Kunena.

Kunena does not have a function to, upon user registration, automatically subscribe all members to be notified of any new message posted to the forum. Kunena is not responsible for what happens during the user registration process.

After users register with your site they may choose to subscribe to forum material. If you specially want (or need) your users to be notified of new messages to the forum, you also need to educate your users and try to help them to use the facilities built into your forum.

K 1.6 allows users to subscribe to a category of discussion topics; users can later unsubscribe from their category subscriptions. If you forum has only one category, then if users subscribe to that category they will receive notification by email of all new messages posted to the whole forum. The question is, how do you get your users to subscribe to a forum category or categories?

When I wrote, 3 months ago, that I had some "news" about category subscriptions, I thought that the news was relevant to this discussion. You have asked for an update on the news. The update is that K 1.6 is now available to the general public and people can now assess for themselves whether these features are useful or not for their purposes.

I hope this helps.
20 Aug 2010 01:09
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: TIME ZONE

TIME ZONE

Category: K 1.6 and K 1.7 Common Questions Archive

fxstein wrote: This could be a registration process issue. The timezone we display by user comes from Joomla. Whatever the Joomla user is set to, is what is being shown.

That setting is populated by Joomla during Registration and my guess is that it is always set to GMT - independent of what the default for the site is - just a guess at this moment.

Ahhh! That makes more sense!
10 Aug 2010 08:08
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Can I run Kunena without Joomla?

Migration from phpBB to Kunena

Category: Migrate other forums to Kunena

coolnet wrote: Is there a reason why you need Joomla to run Kunena?

Yes. Kunena was designed to use Joomla and is built around the Joomla Application Program Interface [API]. Kunena was not designed to operate as a standalone forum like phpBB. Other standalone foums have their own user registration, login/logout and user profiling faciliies. Kunena uses these features that are already incorporated into Joomla.

This is the same design philosphy used by other Joomla extensions (including other forum software, similar to Kunena, like Agora for instance). The principle is that Joomla is what manages the overall content; extensions (like Kunena) extend this Joomla functionality. Joomla may seem, at first glance, to be a little overwhelming. I recommend that you read about what Joomla has to offer and try it for yourself before you come to any final conclusions about it.

I recommend two wonderful books on the subject:
  • Using Joomla by Ron Severdia and Kenneth Crowder, published by O'Reilly Media Inc. Ron Severdia is also a member of the Kunena development team.
  • Beginning Joomla! From Novice to Professional by Dan Rahmel, published by Apress. Although this book is a little dated, the general principles are similar.
I own these books, they're excellent value and I'm sure they will be useful to refer to for a long time to come! ;)
05 Aug 2010 11:19
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Issue with User Registration/Login

Issue with User Registration/Login

Category: K 1.5 Support

Your conclusions also confirm my suspicions. First of all you need to get Joomla working. Email is almost a necessity, these days, in building CMS-driven websites. Further, if you search for GoDaddy within this forum, you will see that most users seem to have a fairly low opinion of their services. I'm not saying that this is the cause, nor whether or not GoDaddy is "guilty by association" but it's something you may need to consider and eliminate as a factor.

My advice to you is to work through and eliminate the user registration issues - getting e-mail to operate properly is a a key part of that process - and then we can focus on Kunena. I am confident that you won't have too many problems with Kunena (or anything else that's on your site) if you overcome this first barrier.

For those who are new to Joomla, and who want to get a head-start building websites, I strongly recommend that you buy or borrow one of the following books:
  • Using Joomla by Ron Severdia and Kenneth Crowder, published by O'Reilly Media Inc. Ron Severdia is also a member of the Kunena development team.
  • Beginning Joomla! From Novice to Professional by Dan Rahmel, published by Apress. Although this book is a little dated, the general principles are similar.
I own these books, they're excellent value and I know they will answer all your questions for a long time to come! ;)
04 Aug 2010 14:16
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Issue with User Registration/Login

Issue with User Registration/Login

G'day, YBRTS, and welcome to Kunena

Your points 1-3 (no problem there. These, of course, have nothing to do with Kunena - they're all part of standard Joomla. At the end of step 3, is the user enabled? Or have you required that they must respond to an email to activate their account (which is the default behaviour)?

Users who have not activated their accounts will not automatically be added to the Kunena user account system. It's only after users have activated their accounts they they'll be given a Kunena user profile. However, it really doesn't matter if they do or do not have a user account before their account is activated; unactivated accounts cannot login to your website until they've been activated.

So now we come to your point 4: I am puzzled by the comment that when you try to login as a new user, nothing seems to happen and the user is not informed of what's going on. This is, indeed, very strange. If you are not able to login then there should be a message that is displayed, something like "your account/password was incorrect" ... something like that!

So, before we get to your point 5, let's just check that everything is working up to that stage. It might be useful to us if we could see your website and use an account that gives us access to your Kunena forum. If you would prefer not to give these details in public, use the special "confidential" tags, like this:
[confidential]My site is:  https://mysite.com
Test account: test-account
Password: password[confidential]
29 Jul 2010 14:28
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Authenticate new members

Authenticate new members

Category: Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla

From the Joomla forum website :

The standard 1.5 stable has no means to allow or require admin (or other) approval / verification before a user is allowed to login to a site - that is - after they get their verification email, all one has to do is click and then login to the site. It would be just absolutely fantastic if the admin - besides being notified of a new user - could actually approve or deny an application for registration

There are several extensions listed in the JED that will achieve what you're looking for.

Not a Kunena responsibility.
29 Jul 2010 07:51
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Private Messaging Plugin....?

Private Messaging Plugin....?

Category: K 1.0 and K 1.5 miscellaneous third-party extensions archive

josh8 wrote: Would manually accepting new members sort this problem out out?

There are probably a million ways to deter spam users but, as I've remarked on several occasions and in several other discussions, " the only truly effective remedy against spam is vigilance ". You can apply all the technological barriers you can think of and spam will continue. It's just the nature of the internet (although some site seem to be more attractive for spammers than others - gaming sites and "anime" sites seem to be extremely popular).

If your site fits into one of the spam-attractive genres, maybe you need to be even more vigilant than if you were developing a site for people who have an interest in, say, spotted zebras. :blink:

I think you should change your site registration policy to review and require your approval of all new user applications ... and let your discretion guide you. B)
23 Jul 2010 04:24
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Remove users ability to edit details

Remove users ability to edit details

G'day, leeg5168, and welcome to Kunena. :)

I'm impressed! I mean I'm really impressed that you've considered Kunena as discussion forum for an educational institution but I'm quite excited by your intention to use Active Directory as a way of regulating access to your organisation's website (I wasn't aware that Joomla had LDAP bridging)!

Of course, you don't want your Kunena users changing things in Active Directory and your request to prevent them from even the possibility that they could do this makes a lot of sense. I wonder if the Joomla LDAP bridge has some mechanism to prevent a reverse flow of information from Joomla back to Active Directory? If it doesn't then, you're right, Kunena may need some mechanism to stop users from changing certain profile information after registration.

I don't know the answers, unfortunately, but I think this is an important, giant step you're taking and one that will open Kunena up to a much broader greater commercial potential, particularly where intranets are involved. It may be a too late to extend the requested functionality into K 1.5 (and the same may even be true even with K 1.6 beta) but I will lobby on your behalf for this to be looked into as a priority issue for the future.
22 Jul 2010 04:27 - 22 Jul 2010 04:29
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Is there a way to set user restrictions based on forum-user posting options?

Is there a way to set user restrictions based on forum-user posting options?

Category: K 1.5 Common Questions

G'day, Rachel, and welcome to Kunena. Let's see if we can uncomplicate matters for you.

Kunena uses standard Joomla user registration. Whatever Joomla knows about the user, Kunena knows about the user. Obviously, Kunena needs to know a little bit more about users than Joomla does, such as whether the user is a forum moderator, for example. But, that's the basic idea.

Joomla user registration can be assisted by third-party products like Community Builder or JomSocial. These third-party products extend the information about users in order users to make use of other extensions developed for those products. One possible feature of such products is "paid subscriptions".

Kunena doesn't know about what lies beyond "basic" Joomla, although it is possible for third-party products to know some things (and to affect some behaviours) of Kunena. For example, it's possible to use the JomSocial user profile or the Community Builder user profile to view a user's Kunena posts. It's also possible for Kunena to use JomSocial or Community Builder avatar images.

However, because Kunena doesn't know about "paid subscribers", Kunena can't discriminate between them or any other user ... and there's your problem.

So, when it comes to setting up your categories, there is no current mechanism within Joomla 1.5 to define "paid subscribers". If we can define who are these users then it should be possible to adapt Kunena to suit your requirement. This can be done and I think you will find the background discussion on this subject helpful: [Merged topic] User Groups, User Group Privileges, ACLs .
Displaying 271 - 285 out of 381 results.
Time to create page: 1.236 seconds