Search Results (Searched for: )

26 Nov 2015 22:40 - 26 Nov 2015 22:41
To the best of my knowledge, the short answers to your questions are:

dsibilant wrote: Any idea of the RAM usage the system needs, especially versus systems like Phorum, VBulletin, phpBB?

These are all different products and it would be unfair to compare the memory usage between standalone forum software—phpBB, vBulletin and Phorum—and Kunena which requires Joomla in order for it to operate. Although these standalone products can be bridged to use with Joomla, they operate quite differently. If you want to know more about Kunena's memory requirements, I suggest you read the Technical Requirements article in the Wiki.

dsibilant wrote: Can the threaded view be made the only view users can employ?

It depends on what you mean by "the only view". Kunena allows users to choose between several views of the forum and that, perhaps, is one of its attractive features. Remembering that we're all different and have different preferences, it may be better to allow your users the flexibility in their choice of how they interact with your forum. The short answer is that it's possible but your users may not appreciate the choice you make.

dsibilant wrote: I want to integrate my site's normal content with the forum. Is it possible to enable guest comments on an article, and have those comments put onto the forum in a new topic or as part of an existing one?

Yes. This is achieved with the Kunena Discuss plugin .
26 Nov 2015 22:27
Replied by sozzled on topic Rating system

grerlic wrote: Is there any way to add to every topic thats created a rating system?

The short answer to this question is that I am not aware of any current facility in the standard Kunena 4.0 product that permits this.

There was an idea to do this a few years ago but, as far as I am aware, it has either (a) not been finished or (b) no work has progressed for over 2½ years. You can view the discussion among the developers on this topic here: github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/issues/981

I hope this helps.
03 Nov 2015 07:02
The messages (if you haven't deleted them from the database) are stored in the table _kunena_messages. The message contents—the actual text of the messages—are stored in the table _kunena_messages_text.

Does that help?
02 Nov 2015 07:08
Replied by sozzled on topic long file Names
This issue has not been included in GitHub as far as I can tell. If it has been listed as something to be looked at, what is the GitHub reference, please.
30 Oct 2015 21:21 - 30 Oct 2015 21:34

ruud wrote: Just tested and I do not have this issue ... [probably] works for me because I do not use Joomla caching? (I do use Kunena caching)

I must admit that I have not followed the progress of this topic for the two years that it has been running. I posted a topic about Joomla caching, guest posting and Kunena Discuss a couple of months ago and, like this topic, it was not addressed by the developers.

You may have hit upon the reason why Kunena Discuss does not allow guests to be the first to post comments. In actual fact, if you have Joomla caching turned on, guests may not be able to post comments at all. I'm not sure about this and the developers do not seem to know the answer either.

EDIT: Message #2 (which appeared 2 years ago) explains the reason and proposed a way to resolve the problem. Matias (the original developer of Kunena Discuss who is no longer actively involved in the project) wrote that he would "look into it".

The cause of the problem and the short answer to the question is, if you want guests to use Kunena Discuss to post comments about articles, you need to disable Joomla caching on your website.
28 Oct 2015 20:14 - 28 Oct 2015 20:15
Replied by sozzled on topic Preview does not work
I use JCE Editor and I have not experienced any issues with this and with Kunena. there have been instances where JCE Mediabox have caused problems with Kunena in the past but I think they're all ancient history now. I dont know anything about JDownloads, sorry. It's probably safe but, you're right, you should check it.
28 Oct 2015 19:53

knoakes wrote: You mean a joomla menu?

The Kunena menu is a Joomla menu. We suggest that you rebuild your menu. The information to help you do this is on the FAQs page and in Kunena menu issues article in the Wiki.
28 Oct 2015 19:49 - 28 Oct 2015 20:25

mythus wrote: Well, I just found the culprit... It was r-Antispam.

Congratulations! I wonder what the developer of this product must be feeling if people start identifying r-Antispam as a cause of the Kunena message preview feature falling over?

You asked, in an off-handed way, whether disabling r-Antispam will cause you any "ramifications". It is only my personal opinion, of course, but I do not believe in anti-spam products tacked-on to Kunena will address the mitigation of spam on anyone's website. It's a bit like what I wrote earlier in relation to the Kunena Login module: some people adore anti-spam products and some people quite happily live without them. I cover this subject in more detail in an article I wrote a few months ago: How to stop forum spam in Kunena . (Feel free to add any comments you might have about that article; I welcome all suggestions, comments, criticisms, other insights.)

As long as we're clear on one thing: r-Antispam may not necessarily be the only culprit and it may not be responsible for all instances of the message preview problem.
28 Oct 2015 19:17 - 28 Oct 2015 21:24
Thank you very much for your reply, mythus.

In truth, I'm not in the least frustrated. I'm concerned that people are not getting they help they require and that people maybe expect too much within the confines of a discussion forum. The truth of the matter is that each person's problem is unique. There's no quick fix. There are only some general guiding principles (some of which are only acquired after spending years understanding how the whole website management "thing" works).

There are commonalities, of course. Sometimes the problem is caused by a certain webhosting provider (there's a fairly simple way to check this) and sometimes the problems are caused by one, two or more of (perhaps) dozens of extra "goodies" that the person who designed the website added. And perhaps, sometimes, the phase of the moon may play a part. :lol:

I have a saying: "nothing is impossible; everything has a cost". In other words, as soon as I put a figure on the cost on fixing the problem, the problem (invariably) is solved. If I have any "frustration" it's that people expect that this problem can be solved at zero cost.

Here are some facts:

1) This problem is not caused by Kunena (even though, in my opinion, this topic is incorrectly categorised in the "reporting defects" category here);

2) This problem is caused by "something" that Kunena needs;

3) This problem seems to affect (perhaps) less than 0.1% of all users of Kunena;

4) It can take anywhere between 1 hour and several days to pinpoint the cause of the problem (depending on the software "soup" that is your website);

5) 99.9% of the (less than 0.1% of) people who have this problem are prepared to pay zero dollars to have it fixed.

So, if I have any "frustration" it is only that I don't know what else I can say that I have not already written many times elsewhere in this forum .

You asked for a general guide to fix the problem. Hmm ... "educated guesswork", trial-and-error, serious commitment, patience ... depends really on whether you want to fix the problem that you now have or whether you're looking for an easy workaround.
28 Oct 2015 18:38 - 28 Oct 2015 18:41
I do not know how to help you with this. This website here uses J! 2.5.28 and the Kunena Latest module works here (I do not know if the version here is version KL 3.1.1.1, however). This suggests to me that you have a routing issue peculiar to your website, probably caused by a badly constructed menu.

I am guessing that the link problem with the Kunena Latest module is not a problem with the module; I am guessing that the problem lies with your Joomla menu.

For me, the simplest starting-off point would be to use the "trash-burn-build principle" . See also Kunena menu issues .

I hope this helps.
28 Oct 2015 18:31
Replied by sozzled on topic Kunena Latest

irlundee wrote: Sozzzled, any idea when cypsis and kunena latest may play nice with each other. The new theme (in beta) is very nice.

I am not a member of the Kunena team . I have no idea, sorry.
28 Oct 2015 18:29 - 28 Oct 2015 18:51

mythus wrote: I was having trouble with Kunena Login Module - it kept complaining of outdated or whatever info in the fields. Sad. I really liked that log-in module and I hope ya'll get around to releasing one for kunena 4.

The Kunena Login module is unrelated to the preview problem. For what it's worth, the Kunena Login module has not been properly maintained for several years; some people love it and some people hate it. That's just the way it is. If it works that's good; if it doesn't work then c'est la vie.

mythus wrote: I decided to uninstall any kunena thing that was version 3, refreshed cache, did global check in, cleared caches in joomla and firefox... still preview is broken. Yet it works here?

The message preview problem has very little to do with site caching, browser caching, Kunena templates (e.g. Crypsis vs Blue Eagle as suggested by one of the developers earlier ), versions of Joomla (this website currently uses J! 2.5.28) or whether it is a full moon outside tonight.

The cause of the problem is simple: Javascript. The message preview feature requires AJAX . Once people get their head around this requirement then it's fairly easy to explain what has to be done next.

The Kunena message preview works on some websites and it does not work on other websites. That's a fact (and, by the way, I have never had a problem with the message preview feature on any of my websites where I use Kunena).

There are usually two causes why the message preview feature does not work:

1) The webhost does not support JSON; or

2) You have another extension that interferes with the Javascript function, required by Kunena, to generate the message preview feature.

How do you approach this problem? It all depends, really, on how important it is for you to resolve the problem. For some people it is "absolutely essential" to resolve this problem—as you say, some people aren't savvy with BBcode—ut the unmistakable truth is this issue has been with Kunena for as long as I can remember it (certainly from around the time of K 2.0). The reality is that people want the problem "solved" and they're not prepared to invest their time (or money) into the solution.

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that this problem can be fixed; I mean this problem—that affects everyone in different ways—can be fixed in different ways for different people. The bad news is that it costs a little bit to fix the problem. It takes time to identify the cause of the problem: is it a hosting issue or is it a conflict with another extension used on your website? If you have the time (and you do not want outside help) then, at least, you have identified one of those costs ... time!

It would take me forever to explain everything that people can do to resolve the problem. I do not have "forever"; for me time means money and I do not have an inexhaustible reserve of either. :)

There is professional assistance available to help with these kinds of problems (if people want them solved quickly). If people do not want to pay for external help then they will have to accept that their problems will not be solved quickly. Even with professional help, it can still take hours to work through the problem. There you have it: good news and bad news.
28 Oct 2015 17:55
Replied by sozzled on topic message area tiny?

irlundee wrote: Has anyone experienced this with the crypsis template?

Yes, I think most people experience this issue to varying degrees with the Crypsis template. For some people the message area is small, for some others it is a little larger. The problem is somewhat dependent on the site template that you use.

The message area can be dynamically resized by dragging the bottom right corner with a mouse (or, on a touch screen, with your finger).

The initial size of the message <textarea> element can be set by adding a CSS rule, something like

#kbbcode-message {
height: 200px;
}

I hope this helps.
28 Oct 2015 17:42
28 Oct 2015 17:38

knoakes wrote: I have a Kunena install in my joomla 2.54 site.

I do not understand "Joomla 2.54" Do you mean J! 2.5.4?
Displaying 271 - 285 out of 20338 results.
Time to create page: 0.688 seconds