Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: user registration)

19 Feb 2011 01:24 - 19 Feb 2011 01:33
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Login before Kunena forum

Login before Kunena forum

Category: K 1.6 and K 1.7 Common Questions Archive

G'day, sepp, and welcome to Kunena.

Thank you for your very good questions. I hope my answers will be just as good.

You do not need the Kunena Login module; it is optional. You can use whatever login module you already have; you can use the standard Joomla login module, if you like! :) The Kunena Login module gives your users a couple of extra features, that's all.

The most important point that we need to make is the Kunena does not handle user registration. Kunena does not create the Joomla user accounts when your users join your website. There is no Kunena registration function.

Joomla handles user registration. You can, if you like, install other components to assist the Joomla registration process: components like JomSocial or Community Builder, for example.

sepp wrote:

I would like though, that users can create an account consisting of password and username itself but the final activation should be done by the admin.

Unfortunately, Joomla does not have the means to do that. In Joomla you can either allow everyone to register or you allow no-one to register. There is no other option where users can start the registration process but you, as the administrator, finish it off for them. However, if you want your users to register but require your approval to complete their registration, you can do this with a Joomla extension (like Community Builder or Jomsocial). As I have already written earlier, Kunena does not have a user registration function.
15 Feb 2011 02:21
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: I can't figure out how to make my forum fit properly into my site template

I can't figure out how to make my forum fit properly into my site template

Category: K 1.7 Templates and Design

G'day, gguidesc, and welcome to Kunena

It would really help you a lot if, when you ask these kinds of questions, you gave people a little more information to work with. I can see the issue, from the picture, and my first response would be to ask the people who designed the template (and from whom I purchased the template) how to fix the problem. That would be my first idea. You paid for the template and so you should expect it to work properly.

The second idea that I would try would be to use a different site template. Maybe the site template you're using is not a good choice if you want to run Kunena? :unsure:

That is how I would go about the problem, if I were in your position.

If that doesn't work, I would search this forum, looking for questions that were asked about the template that you are using. If you do not find any questions asked about that template, I think that tells you that your problem is an uncommon one.

I don't know what you mean by "it will not let me edit the register page". User registration is not a function of Kunena - it's a Joomla function - but perhaps I have misunderstood your question. Do you mean that you cannot edit your Kunena user profile?
13 Feb 2011 03:18 - 13 Feb 2011 03:34
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: post page login form never works 1.6.1

post page login form never works 1.6.1

Category: K 1.6 and K 1.7 miscellaneous third-party extensions archive

It may, or may not, be helpful to us to see where this problem occurs. The information (that you concealed) was located within
This message contains confidential information
12 Feb 2011 06:31
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Rankings all showing Administrator

Rankings all showing Administrator

Category: K 1.7 Common Questions

Have you looked in the Global Configurations section of your Joomla admin. site? What is the default value that you assign to new user registrations?
08 Feb 2011 03:57
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Last Visit Date Incorrect For People Who Have Never Visited

Last Visit Date Incorrect For People Who Have Never Visited

Someone have a fix? Visitors of my forum permanently joke of this date.

OK, so it's a joke. The easiest way to deal with that is to laugh along with them! B)

You could tell them the technical truth but, from the sounds of things, your users aren't really interested in knowing the technical truth. They just want to laugh. Well, unfortunately, you can't always change social behaviou just because you feel irritated by it.

You could tell them that the problem is a software problem. The actual truth is that this is not a forum issue. As we have stated on hundreds of occasions, Kunena is not responsible for user registration or the data that is deposited into user registration records when people join your website. (Kunena simply picks up whatever information is fed to it from the jos_users table). This is a Joomla issue. If the information is "wrong" in Joomla then Kunena will make whatever sense it can of it (or not) as the case may be.
02 Feb 2011 04:07
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: removing the username display

removing the username display

If users register with the username of This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. then you've got a few issues.

Yes, it's possible for the forum to display a user's "real name" within the forum and (perhaps it's unfortunate) that by allowing this the profile view shows both the "real name" and the username. I also would agree with anyone who suggests that using a userlist plugin setting to control something that is not a userlist plugin feature is not a very elegant solution, either.

However, the fact of the matter, Peter, is that you have registered at www.kunena.org with the username This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and you've proven your point. When we look at this topic we see the username and it's coincidence that your username is [probably] your email address, too.

So, to address your question,

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. wrote:

when you click on someone profile is shows "Profile for Peter (email address)"

this is not, strictly speaking, true. What is actually shown is

Profile for <real-name> (<username>)

The actual solution is to change the username to something that is not a transliteration of a person's email address. This is a policy decision that you need to make. For example, this website does not have such a policy that prevents users registering with a username that may (or may not) bear a resemblance to an email address. Your username is an illustration of that point. However, this website does have a policy of refusing inappropriate usernames to be registered and we do enforce that policy. You could choose to develop a policy at your website that says "People who register with their email address as their usernames will have their privileges revoked."

Alternatively, you could change those registrations by hand and advise your members by e-mail of this fact. Either way, I'm sorry, but Kunena does not (at the moment) do what you want.
02 Feb 2011 02:36 - 02 Feb 2011 02:40
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Community Builder and it's worth?

Community Builder and it's worth?

Category: Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla

G'day, Bob.

It's possible to physically rename and move the user avatar image files from where they're stored by CB to where they're needed by Kunena. It depends on how many users (and whether they've uploaded their own CB avatar images) as to how long this process would take.

Originally this topic started as a general question about "is CB really necessary" and I think we've answered that. The topic is now delving into specifics about how to make CB work and we're in danger of misusing the purpose of the Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla category when we have another category for such purposes.

Bob Britt wrote:

Is there a way to make the Kunena Profile manager the default manager for all joomla access but still have CB doing the registration?

As you know, Kunena is not responsible for handling user registration. The Kunena user profile - even though it's well designed, looks good and contains most of what is captured by whatever registration process you've got - is only used in the Kunena forum component. The Kunena user profile is not a standalone Joomla extension.

You could probably design a feature that sat outside Kunena to allow your users to point to their profiles to the Kunena profile view. I honesty haven't tried to do this. Maybe someone else has done this and can tell us?
01 Feb 2011 04:44
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Difficulty getting email notifications to work

Difficulty getting email notifications to work

There are many reasons that email may not work for you. It could be a server thing or it could be a webhosting thing, a Joomla thing or something at the receiving end. In a very small percentage of cased (less than 1%) it might even be a Kunena thing.

So, can we eliminate all the other things?

amateur wrote:

In terms of the Joomla site - I can get email notifications from there (via a mailto link etc).

Aside from mailto:, do you get any emails at all from your website? I'm not now discussing Kunena, I'm just asking if you get emails about new user registrations (for example) ... those kinds of things.

Have you checked your Joomla email configuration? Is the mail that you are expecting being sent to your "junk mail" folder, for example? Did you spell your email address correctly?
27 Jan 2011 01:36 - 27 Jan 2011 01:40
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Open Forum

Open Forum

Thank you. To removed the a ability to login or see an option to register, change the setting Login and Registration = None

To completely remove the possibility of people registering on your website, you need to change the setting in your Joomla Global Configuration » System » User Settings » Allow User Registration = No
25 Jan 2011 05:10 - 25 Jan 2011 05:13
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Is there anyway to configure the emails sent by the system when a user registers

Is there anyway to configure the emails sent by the system when a user registers

Yes, there is a way to customise the wording used in the system-generated emails. As you are probably aware, Kunena is not responsible for user registration. If you were not aware of this fact, Kunena is not responsible for user registration .

Perhaps your question is best answered by looking at the Joomla support forum . If I have misunderstood your question, please let us know.
22 Jan 2011 16:26 - 22 Jan 2011 16:46
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Captcha or email activation for new users

Captcha or email activation for new users

Thank you for the pictures. The first picture is Kunena. The second picture is what happens when you click the "create an account link" - Kunena is not responsible for generating the second picture; that was created by Joomla. Are we all clear on that point? :) Kunena was not responsible for the registration form.

How do I get a captcha on that registration?

You do that with a registration module that has a CAPTCHA feature. Sorry, if that sounds like I'm talking in circles but, really, I'm telling you the truth.

Although first image looks like Kunena is asking you to register/create an account, you have to understand that the login form that's painted by Kunena is merely giving your users the means to login or register using whatever registration process you have installed. You can, if you wish, completely remove this function if you think it's too confusing or complicated.

If you haven't installed anything "special" then your users use the Joomla registration process. The Joomla registration process does not have a CAPTCHA feature. There are other registration processes that you can use that do have a CAPTHCA process to filter out undesirable registrations - the Joomla Extensions Directory is the place to look for those - and these are some of the things that are discussed in the topic [Merged topic] How to protect my forum from spam .

However, returning to your question: Kunena is not responsible for user registration.
22 Jan 2011 13:08

When a visitor registers on a Kunena forum, that registration is handled by Joomla. Is that correct?

No, that is not correct. There is no "forum registration" as such.

The following is a correct statement: When a person registers at a Joomla website, that registration is handled by Joomla.

The following is also a correct statement: If a Joomla website has a Kunena forum, access to the Kunena forum is handled by Joomla.

This is also a correct statement: You do not need to be registered or logged-in to a Joomla website to be able to user the Kunena forum on that site. The ability to access the Kunena forum is controlled by the policy implemented by the site owner. The site owner may require that only logged-in, registered users are able to use the Kunena forum, just as the site owner may require that logged-in, registered users have access to other content on that website.

The definition of a visitor is someone who is not logged in as a registered user. Does that make sense?
22 Jan 2011 10:18 - 22 Jan 2011 10:26

How do I enable [Captcha or email activation] for new user registration? I have email activation enabled for Joomla, but this, obviously, doesn't carry over into Kunena.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Kunena is not responsible for user registration.

Let me say that again - because, if you had searched this forum for "user registation" you would have our response on nearly every occasion that the question has been asked - Kunena is not responsible for user registration. Joomla is responsible for user registration. I don't understand what you mean that the account activation "doesn't carry over into Kunena".

In what way(s) does the account activation not "carry across into Kunena" or prevent users from using your forum? Can you be a little more specific, please?

I saw some older postss (10 months+ ago) that talk about a setting under the Security tab for turning on spam protection

There were some protections built into K 1.0 and K 1.5. There is some ability to apply CAPTCHA if (and only if) you allow guests to post on your forum. No version of Kunena imposed CAPTCHA for logged-in, registered users. It is assumed - rightly or wrongly - that, if you had passed the registration checks that you have on your website, that people have the right to post on your forum.

I do not see it in 1.6.3.

At the time of writing, K 1.6.3 does not exist as a public release. K 1.6 has the capability to integrate a third-party CAPTCHA mechanism; see >>> here <<<
21 Jan 2011 14:00
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: K1.6.2 BUG after migration? 179 members in backend, but in frontend says "113 registered users"??

K1.6.2 BUG after migration? 179 members in backend, but in frontend says "113 registered users"??

I have moved this topic to a more appropriate area.

You say that all of your Joomla users are "enabled" but your picture shows one of them that has a red cross next to it. This suggests that your users registered but they did not complete the registration process. Or it shows that users have registered but they have not tried to login.

I am just guessing. Is this a serious problem? Does it affect the way that Kunena works?

Maybe someone else can help us.
20 Jan 2011 04:53
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Critical problem with users registering - memory exhausted?

Critical problem with users registering - memory exhausted?

As a general response - because we cannot see your website (did you remove those details from your K 1.6 configuration report?) - Kunena is not responsible for user registration. No versions of Kunena have been responsible for user registration.

I accept the premise that something on your Kunena web pages has generated an error message and the error prevents users from accessing the registration procedure on your website but, until I know more about what it was you did and how we might be able to see this situation for ourselves, we're fumbling in the dark on this problem. Is there some way that you might be able to shed some further light on what's happening, please?

Memory exhausted problems are not always the result of low memory (and 128 Mb should be quite sufficient) and I doubt that the problem is this. I think there's some kind of integration issue but I just can't put my finger on it.
Displaying 211 - 225 out of 381 results.
Time to create page: 1.314 seconds