Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: user registration)

13 May 2011 14:03
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Set Allow Nickname on Posts to Yes but Name does not display

Set Allow Nickname on Posts to Yes but Name does not display

Category: K 1.7 Common Questions

Again, while allowing this off-topic discussion to continue (because it really does not tie-in well with the question asked in msg #1), let me recapitulate the position. Kunena is not responsible for user registration. There is no user registration form generated by Kunena. It depends on the user registration process that you are using and the translation of "user name" as "display name" (or something else) that may give your users some guidance.

I hope that helps.
13 May 2011 13:36 - 13 May 2011 13:38
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Set Allow Nickname on Posts to Yes but Name does not display

fuin wrote: Is there a way so that one can change on the registration 'real name' which is what is easier and safer to change, to say nickname. That way they can use that as their nickname and They won't accidentally put in their real name for it?

I think I understand the point that you are trying to make and I'm sorry I was a little slow. This is somewhat off-topic (because I was trying to address the "nickname" feature question in the context of Kunena) but I see what you are trying to do.

As you know Kunena is not responsible for user registration. Whether or not you allow your users to change their "real" name (and let's leave aside the naïveté of 14 year-olds who should probably be a little more cautious when they register or websites) is something that depends entirely on how you manage your user registration process. For example, basic Joomla allows people the option to change certain details in their user account assuming that you provide them with a menu item to do so. Many third-party products (like JomSocial or Community Builder) likewise offer this functionality. Under certain conditions, people can change their "real name" in Kunena, too, but this may be limited by other policies that you have implemented on your website.

For example, if you have set your forum to use the Kunena user profile, your users can edit their profile as demonstrated by the following screenshot.

Does that help?
13 May 2011 12:29 - 13 May 2011 12:31

fuin wrote: But the nickname function does not work now which is suppose to be the third choice....

As I mentioned earlier in this topic, there is an understanding within the Kunena development team that some parts of the nickname feature have problems.

With this forum here, at www.kunena.org, there is no allowance of nicknames; there is also no allowance for changing usernames after registration either. Therefore the only way that people can masquerade with multiple personalities is to register with different usernames.

Have I misinterpreted some point that you were trying to make?
12 May 2011 01:56 - 12 May 2011 01:58
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: A Few Random Questions

A Few Random Questions

Category: Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla

G'day, dawn2. I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

What is the neat PM feature this board has - its all fluid and animated.. my forums don't have that. I like yours its SHINEY! - The PM facility is a part of the JomSocial component (see also [Merged topic] Kunena Web Site: What Joomla extensions are used at this website (Kunena.org)?

Is there a place to setup or define a Terms of Service or Rules? I notice a link called rules but can't find a place to edit it (on the register/login area for Kunena) - User registration is not a feature of Kunena and, consequently, any TOS agreement-making processing is something that is performed by the registration procedure used on individual sites. The registration procedure at this site is managed by the JomSocial component. You can, of course, define your own TOS article and place it anywhere on your site; often this is placed in the site footer. If you like you could use your TOS as the basis for a "rules" page in Kunena; see How to create a rule and a help page

How can I learn to make amazing stuff for Kunena/Joomla? - There are lots of ways that you can learn more about Joomla; there is a list of reference books in K 1.6 Installation Guide . This is a somewhat broad question and I'm not really sure how to do justice to it.

.. and in closing we need Kunena clothing. - I'll ask my mother to see if she could knit you a pair of Kunena socks! :laugh: Good suggestion. I'll see what the Kunena leadership team has to say in reply.
05 May 2011 03:20
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Jom social

Jom social

Category: K 1.6 and K 1.7 miscellaneous third-party extensions archive

How you control user access to JomSocial is something that you need to configure with JomSocial.

Kunena is not responsible for user registration. In your case I am assuming that you use JomSocial to control user registration. Your users are "Kunena users" because they are registered with your site. There is no separate registration function for Kunena.
02 May 2011 03:12
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Registration process through Kunena

Registration process through Kunena

Please read the results of this search: Kunena is not responsible for user registration

I think this explains everything quite clearly.
01 May 2011 03:22 - 01 May 2011 04:06
Replied by sozzled on topic How to protect my forum from spam

How to protect my forum from spam

*** Topics Merged ***

flatmattj wrote: I know this topic has been discussed extensively on this forum, but the posts I can find are very disjointed and very old.

G'day :)

Yes, the topic has been discussed extensively on this forum but the discussion has been kept in the one place so as to assist everyone with the same basic question: "How do I protect my website (and my forum, obviously) from attack?" Rather than tackle your question as a separate, new topic - as you have done - I've merged your topic with the one we've used in the past. I will, however, try to give your questions more detailed treatment than by responding with a facile how-you-protect-your-forum-is-something-for-you-to-decide kind of answer.

Even though some of the messages posted in this discussion may be old, the problem of spam is much older than when this topic started. Spam has been a persistent problem that is older than the internet. So, while some of the messages may seem "dated", the advice given in this topic is as fresh and relevant today as when it was first offered.

flatmattj wrote: Can anybody maybe give us all a simple, single forum example to solve this issue?

The reason that there is no single, simple answer is because the issue quite complex. If we start with the understanding that everyone has a different way of implementing a website (and a web-based discussion forum like Kunena) you might begin to understand that many factors may contribute to this problem.

Some people like the idea of allowing anyone to post whatever they like without requiring them to login. The problem with that, of course, is that they have little control over the content of what people post on their forum apart from challenging people every time they post with some simple "identity" check (e.g. CAPTCHA) and all that CAPTCHA does is to ensure that it's a human being posting objectionable material instead of a 'bot.

Some people restrict their sites so that everyone can view what's posted on the forum (and only registered users can login in order to post) but then allow anyone to register with their site; they then wonder how their sites become littered with material that they consider "objectionable". Other people still further restrict their sites so that only registered members of the community must login - in order to see the forum - but they still have the "open door" policy to allowing material to appear on the site automatically, without review. Again, the root cause of this problem is a registration issue. How do you know, when someone registers at your site, that they're not going to abuse the privileges of posting on your site?

Still, other people even further restrict their sites by requiring that all messages are subjected to moderator review before they are published on the board. This is about the ultimate preventive measure but it impacts on the smooth flow of the discussions and comes at a cost to management. This is a question for forum managers/site administrators to weigh up as to how much management overhead is the "right amount" and how much is not justifiable.

Some website genres seem more "attractive" to spam than others. I don't know why that seems to be the case but anime and game sites are more likely to be targeted by spammers than old ladies' quilting or bird-watching society websites. :unsure:

flatmattj wrote: 1. A spam user or bot registers on a Joomla! site and defeats captcha and email confirmation.

Of course as we all know, this has nothing to do with Kunena. Kunena is not responsible for user registration on a Joomla website. User registration is a Joomla function that may be optionally assisted by other Joomla extensions better equipped to deal with registration scrutiny. Basic Joomla has two variations: allow everyone to register (and new registrations must confirm by using a valid email address) or allow no-one to register. If you allow no-one to register you, the system administrator, must perform all user registration yourself.

flatmattj wrote: 2. They begin posting spam on a Kunena forum that only allows posting by registered users.

As I mentioned earlier in my reply, if you allow people to register and give them the unfettered right use the forum after they have joined, then you allow people the ability to post whatever they like ... unless you review everything that they write beforehand. The question that everyone needs to individually answer is, how much scrutiny is the "right amount" of scrutiny. On the one hand you can scrutinise to the point of terrorising people and they may be reluctant to post anything at all if they're continually subjected to this kind of treatment.

For instance, take a community-driven, self-help forum like the one here at www.kunena.org. Messages are not screened before they appear on the forum. They appear instantly. So, you may ask, how do we prevent spam posting on this website?

The answer to this question, as I have often written, is simple:

The only effective remedy against spam is vigilance.

We have an active moderation team here, one that operates close to 24 hours a day, and spam rarely lasts for more than a few minutes before it's detected, removed and the account(s) responsible for this rubbish are blocked from accessing the site in future. This site has a zero tolerance of spam and the moderation team is equipped with the necessary tools to deal with the problem.

However, if you are asking what preventive measures can be taken in the first place to stop spam from showing up on your forum, the answer really lies in how you screen new user registrations. There must be hundreds of guides on the internet to help people with this "management problem"; the forum here at this site is one place where people can meet to discuss various ideas, hints, tips and tricks-of-the-trade. I've given you a few ideas and I hope they help. I'm sure that others may have their own suggestions that will help you, too.
26 Apr 2011 05:05
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: User registration and forum rules

User registration and forum rules

joeK wrote: Do you know where I can find a 3rd party extension that will not allow anyone to register a new user with the exception of the administrator? Thanks in advance

Look in extensions.joomla.org
18 Apr 2011 00:16
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: user logon

user logon

G'day, Garry, and welcome to Kunena

I'm sorry, but could you be a little bit more specific please?

"Installed the program" is a little bit like saying "put the key in the lock". Which lock: car, house, boat, caravan, truck? So which "program" are you talking about?

Garry Que:

Great program just need help with this registering a new user

Kunena is not responsible for user registration

Garry Que:

I think its in Joomla 1.6 but I'm not sure where.

Have you asked at the Joomla support forum ?
08 Apr 2011 09:27
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Issue with User Registration/Login

Issue with User Registration/Login

Category: K 1.5 Support

Please read the advice posted earlier in this topic.

Please read K 1.5.x Support: Please read this first. . Can you provide more details about what version of Kunena you are using?

Thank you.
28 Mar 2011 09:29
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Registering Users

Registering Users

Category: K 1.6 and K 1.7 Common Questions Archive

G'day, John, and welcome to Kunena.

I suggest that you look at the results of this search query for more information about Joomla and Kunena and user registration: search results
18 Mar 2011 02:35
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: "Create User Account" option not appearing

"Create User Account" option not appearing

(1) Please read the very important information about Joomla 1.5 and "legacy mode" . Do not use legacy mode.

(2) What is your setting Global Configuration » System » User Settings » Allow User Registration ?
08 Mar 2011 02:32
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: The option: Create an account

The option: Create an account

Category: K 1.6 and K 1.7 Common Questions Archive

G'day, JustBe, and welcome to Kunena.

First of all, before posting messages on the forum, please read the posting guidelines that relate to each category, especially the Support category. I have moved your how-do-I-do-it question to our Common Questions category.

The answer to your first question is handled by the Kunena integration options. You should not have to worry about setting these options unless you are using a non-standard registration process. This site uses JomSocial for user registration. It doesn't really matter what you use, please look at the integration options that are applicable for your site.

The answer to your second question is to change the Joomla Global Configuration, deny user self-registration, and post a message on your site requesting that users contact you beforehand so that you can register their accounts for them. This is not a Kunena issue.

I hope this helps
06 Mar 2011 02:03
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Use username as id for link instead of user ID

Use username as id for link instead of user ID

Thank you for your interest in Kunena as a surrogate form of "user profiling". The design and layout of user profiles in K 1.6 is an improvement over what was available in earlier versions of Kunena and, I'm fairly certain, this work will continue to allow Kunena as a possible alternative to 3rd party-developed social networking products. However, at the present time, it must be remembered that Kunena user profiles only operate in the context of the site forum. Further, because Kunena does not have its own registration process - Kunena relies on Joomla or whatever 3rd party registration procedure you have installed - the ability to populate Kunena user profile fields must either be done by the user after registration or relies on 3rd party products to automatically map the information.

I should add that, as much as people way want it, at present it is not that easy to add new custom fields to store user-related data in Kunena. Although anything is possible and, because Kunena is open source there are no "trade secrets" as such, tailoring Kunena to individual needs is a matter for individuals to decide for themselves. We hope that, as new ideas are developed by the community, these developments will be shared among others in the community and some of them will find their way into the Kunena core.
23 Feb 2011 02:47
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Required fields

Required fields (CLOSED)

I can't remember how many times I have written this at this forum but I will repeat it again.

Kunena is not responsible for user registration.

That is the start, the middle and (just about) the end of the discussion. Joomla is responsible for user registration. You can use other extensions, like JomSocial and Community Builder, to perform the registration process. Part of that registration process can be to insist that a user completes the birthdate field, however Kunena does not have a "registration process". Sorry. That's the way it is.
Displaying 196 - 210 out of 381 results.
Time to create page: 1.190 seconds