Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: user registration)

04 Jan 2012 11:28
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Allowing Avatar selection on Registration

Allowing Avatar selection on Registration

Category: Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla

unleash.it wrote: Because of the way Joomla is set up (read: inflexible user registration, trust me I'm not a newbie)

Yes, I agree with you that Joomla's basic registration process leaves a lot to be desired.

unleash.it wrote: I realize that Kunena doesn't have a way to easily change reg unless it wanted to override it with plugins.

That's true.

unleash.it wrote: [It] would be great if it were also possible to still allow avatar maintenance in the Kununa profile [at site registration time].

As I wrote earlier, Kunena does not have a registration procedure. If you read the FAQs page (and the sticky topics in this category, and the advice we have written tirelessly over the past three years) Kunena uses whatever you use for site registration and that's the way things currently stand. As you say, if someone is prepared to write the necessary inclusion for Kunena to perform user registration, they may have more than just your thanks. But, it hasn't happened yet and there are no current plans to implement this addition as part of the Kunena project in the short-term.

As a longer term matter, the project team is considering the possibility of improving Kunena profile management features (either as a core component or as an optional add-on) but some of these extensions will probably have to wait until K 3.0 or afterwards.
04 Jan 2012 10:57 - 04 Jan 2012 10:59

Those are questions that are more properly addressed by JomSocial or Community Builder support. The simple truth is that Kunena does not have a registration function. See the sticky topics in this category and read the FAQs page How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website?

The reason for the topic split is explained here: K 1.7.1 [BUG] reCAPTCHA causes topic split . I have merged the topics back together again.
04 Jan 2012 09:49

Kunena does not handle site registration. There is no "select avatar" when you register (even with JomSocial or Community Builder). Users must choose an avatar after their registration is accepted/approved/activated. This is quite normal and it's a good feature, too, because this means that users cannot add some image that may be inappropriate for your website.
21 Dec 2011 02:31
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Need to remove Gender and Birthday icons

Need to remove Gender and Birthday icons

Category: K 1.6 and K 1.7 miscellaneous third-party extensions archive

AS far as the gender display is concerned, there are two definitive answers:

(1) Encourage and allow your users to complete their gender at registration time (then you won't have any "gender unknown" problem to use as an excuse for removing the feature; or

(2) Hide the gender by adding the following three lines to the end of your Joomla site template CSS file:
#Kunena .kicon-profile-gender-unknown, .kicon-profile-gender-male, .kicon-profile-gender-female {
    display: none;
}

As far as the birthday display is concerned, it only shows if your users enter a birthday. Why do you need to explicitly remove the birthday display?
21 Dec 2011 02:16
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Moving stuff to site global. Newb needs strategy.

Moving stuff to site global. Newb needs strategy.

Category: K 1.6 and K 1.7 Common Questions Archive

There are a lot of questions here, too many to give a detailed reply to each.

Kunena is not responsible for user registration. Whatever you use for user registration, Kunena simply goes along with that. There are no integration issues for Kunena here.

Login is a slightly different matter. In very broad terms, you may need to tweak your Kunena intergration settings on what you use for your users to login. Most users do not need to change their Kunena configuration settings.

Joomla search can search Kunena forum content. You will need the Kunena Search plugin for that.

Who is online? yes, it covers who is logged-in whether they are using the forum or not.

What do you want your users to "access" or not via the Kunena user profile? Can you please be more specific?
08 Dec 2011 22:06 - 08 Dec 2011 22:10
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Change login caption from "Username" to "Email Address"

Change login caption from "Username" to "Email Address"

lukavac wrote: ... when i put email in username box i can login ...

So you can login! :woohoo: That's the important part. You just want to change the text from "Username" to "Email address". The reason that it's taken me so long to give you an answer is because I did not fully understand the subject of this topic. I've changed the subject now so that other people can also help us better.

I looked at your site. You have two places on your Kunena forum page where people can login. I suggest that you change your Kunena settings: Forum Configuation » Integration » Integration Options » Login and Registration = None

I'm sure that will make things a lot easier for you and there's nothing else that you need to change. You also might like to read Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) in the Wiki. This will actually make your URLs look a lot better if you use the Joomla recommended values. ;)
30 Nov 2011 03:33
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: no email notifications with upgrades

no email notifications with upgrades

beyondthenet wrote: See here how we are stopping spammers: lineboring.org/login/register

Yes, that's a good idea. It might also be a good idea to post your suggestion (and how you achieve the 404 message) by contributing to the discussion How to protect my forum from spam . I am sure that a lot of people would appreciate your idea.

beyondthenet wrote: We hoped to get an email that the admin could approve a new member by looking at all the details in the signup. Instead the admin must go to the admin area and see all the new user details before approving.

Yes, as you know, Kunena is not responsible for handling the registration of new accounts on a Joomla website and Community Builder is one useful way to help. The topic How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website? has some useful tips in this regard.

I'm pleased to hear that you've resolved the mail issues and I think we can archive this topic now. :)
30 Nov 2011 02:29 - 30 Nov 2011 02:30
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: no email notifications with upgrades

no email notifications with upgrades

You posted your message in the Community Builder category but I don't see the connection. I've moved your topic into a different category.

When you wrote that "email notifications are not being sent", which particular email notifications are not being sent? Email regarding new user registrations, for example? Anything else?
23 Nov 2011 00:22
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: No emails to subscribed users

No emails to subscribed users

Please read the FAQs page (menu item above the forum), particularly relating to user registration: How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website?
20 Nov 2011 06:17
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: How to protect my forum from spam

How to protect my forum from spam

Weedroy: there are too many questions here for me to answer simply.

Search the forums for information about private message software - the question has been asked and answered hundreds of times.

Kunena does not do user registration. This question has been asked and answered many times, too. See the FAQs tab on the menu at the top of this page.

You don't like "auto mail"? In what context? Please start a new topic about what you mean.

As we wrote before, you do not to install any software to use CAPTCHA with Kunena. You may need something else with other Joomla extensions. That's not our department. I hope this helps. :)
19 Nov 2011 10:34 - 19 Nov 2011 10:38
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Blank pages when clicking on register etc

Blank pages when clicking on register etc

G'day, Callesen58, and welcome to Kunena.

A few observations:

(1) Your problem has nothing to do with Kunena. If you click the FAQs tab on the menu near the top of this page you will see in How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website? that Kunena is not involved in the user registration process. The error message you are getting is being generated by Joomla's user management component.

(2) Generally-speaking, there's a standard approach to addressing blank page issues. The fact that you have blank pages in the backend suggests that there's a more serious problem with your website than merely the frontend experience of Kunena. You should never get blank pages in the backend and, if you do, those are much more important to address first. As a general guide, you may find this page helpful How to diagnose blank page on Kunena (even though, as I wrote earlier, the problems have nothing to do with Kunena).

(3) When you wrote that you recently installed Kunena on a fresh Joomla install, why did you choose to install a version of Joomla 1.5 that is three versions out of date? You've got serious Joomla issues; I don't even think that, if you went to the Joomla forum (forum.joomla.org) you will find too many people interested in helping you out with complications arising from recently installing J! 1.5.22 (!)). Good luck.
17 Nov 2011 11:17 - 17 Nov 2011 11:17
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Require Approval for all New Users Before Posting?

Require Approval for all New Users Before Posting?

Category: K 1.7 Common Questions

G'day, MGJohnson, and welcome to Kunena.

MGJohnson wrote: Is it possible to set things up so that all new users need approval from Admin prior to being allowed to post anything?

This is covered by the Review Posts setting in the Category Configuration. See Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 2) - advanced setup for special groups for more information.

MGJohnson wrote: Can I set it up so that every new member requires approval prior to accepting their registration?

That's not really possible. For a "member" to post on the forum, they have to be registered. It's kind of a "catch 22" situation. Someone is either a member or someone is a visitor.

MGJohnson wrote: I want to be able to select who is allowed to register on a case-by-case basis.

See the FAQ How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website? User registration is not handled by Kunena; it's handled by Joomla or a third-party extension (like JomSocial or Community Builder, for example) which may allow you to vet user registrations on a case-by-case basis. Standard Joomla registration works on an all-or-nothing principle. Either no-one can register or anyone can register and the registration procedure is automatic. Other extensions allow you, as the site administrator, to accept or refuse applications to register.

I hope this helps.
13 Nov 2011 03:43 - 13 Nov 2011 03:52
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: create account link missing in welcome box

create account link missing in welcome box

I'm still waiting for advice from the development team about how Kunena and Community Builder should interoperate together. On the one hand, I don't seem to have any problems if I ignore CB's recommendation about disallowing user registrations in Joomla Global Configuration (in J! 1.5) or User Manager settings (in J! 1.6 or J! 1.7). If you want to let users register via CB, then allow Joomla registration and use this:

CB Configuration Manager » Registration » Allow User Registration = yes, independently of global site setting

The only thing that I can't quite figure out is, if you use CB login/registration with Kunena, how to disable the "Remember Me" checkbox so that Kunena behaves the same way as CB login.

EDIT: Well, there is a downside to ignoring CB's recommendation: If a user tries to access a page on your site that they don't have access to, they're presented with the Joomla registration screen instead of the CB one. So, that's presents a security difficulty.
13 Nov 2011 00:30
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: create account link missing in welcome box

create account link missing in welcome box

ajuking001 wrote: In K 1.7, [set the integration] to CB, in J17 User Mgr. Options, turned On the parameter. And... woohoo, the create an account link was available in Kunena.

I had no doubt in my mind that would work.

ajuking001 wrote: It even showed the CB register link.

That was going to be my next test, first thing in the morning. In your case you are using J! 1.7; in my case, my difficulty occurred when I was overhauling a J! 1.5 website and I still haven't verified whether CB 1.7 overrides Joomla's registration process irrespective of what you have the Joomla Global Configuration value set to. I suspect that it doesn't.

ajuking001 wrote: My question is if the User Mgr setting is kept On, will it interfere with CB's profile reg system? I can remove all the instances of login boxes and URls of Joomla. Will I need to sync users between CB and J17 often?

Those are very good questions and they should be asked at Joomlapolis . On the one hand it makes no sense for the CB installation procedure to make the recommendation while, on the other hand, CB's software ignores those recommendations. That's why I was fascinated by your response that the account create link pointed to CB (I still need to verify this is the case in J! 1.5).
02 Nov 2011 01:57
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Changing the forum emails

Changing the forum emails

If you read our FAQs (or searched this forum for the words "registration" with "emails") you would quickly discover that Kunena is not responsible for user registration or login. This point is emphasised in How do I register new users to my website and where should they login to use my website?

In other words, this is a Joomla issue (or it's an issue of any third party written extension that you're using for site registration). Your question has probably been asked and answered on the Joomla forum (forum.joomla.org) and it usually involves making a couple of appropriate changes to your Joomla Global Configuration settings unless, as I wrote, you're not using "basic" Joomla for user registration. I hope that helps.
Displaying 151 - 165 out of 381 results.
Time to create page: 0.901 seconds