Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: is not responsible for user registration)

20 Apr 2010 15:47
Replied by sozzled on topic Cannot register any users!

Cannot register any users!

Category: Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla

User registration is a bit trickier on a local PC - like one running WAMP or XAMPP - because you don't have a mail server. So how do you do the user confirmation? This is a Joomla issue. Please look at help.joomla.org to address your user registration issues.

Kunena is not responsible for user registration, pure and simple. I don't know any other way of saying this. You don't need any other components to register your users but, in a local server configuration, users cannot self-register. In other words (because you don't have a mail server) you have to do the user confirmation yourself. This is a Joomla User Administration issue - it has nothing to do with Kunena.
20 Apr 2010 15:23
Replied by sozzled on topic Cannot register any users!

Cannot register any users!

Category: Miscellaneous, off-topic and general Joomla

G'day, sylther, and welcome to the forum. I sometimes have to remind new users about the policy relating to the Support category where you posted your question: K 1.5.x Support: Please read this first.

So, having said this, can you please fill in the missing blanks: What version of Kunena are you using? What Kunena template are you using? What version of Joomla are you using?

Many new users are unaware that Kunena is not responsible for user registration or login or logout: these are Joomla functions. Kunena is not responsible for user registration, pure and simple. User registration is a Joomla function that may, or may not, be assisted by other components such as JomSocial or Community Builder or others. Kunena makes it possible to utilise these other components. In short, these are not Kunena matters.

Can you please demonstrate how you feel that your problems tie-in with Kunena? What is this "registration page" that keeps "refreshing". Who designed or developed it?
07 Apr 2010 11:14 - 07 Apr 2010 11:41

"You must log in first" message

Category: K 1.5 Common Questions Archive

G'day, Nadia, and welcome to the forum. There are a few issues here that we've canvassed many times before but there also seem to be some basic functions of your Joomla website that are not functioning 100% correctly. I have sent you a PM; if you like we could discuss these things off-line in order to get your problems resolved as quickly as possible. :)

As I sometimes have to remind new members who post to this forum,
    The
Support category, where you posted your question, is intended to be used to address problems with the unmodified core Kunena software - not to ask how to change it or to discuss problems people might encounter with third-party software extensions - or to report defects that you are have found - not to ask questions about how to use the software normally or how to use Joomla normally. We give these support topics higher priority than other topics, particularly around the time when there is a new release of Kunena (as there was only a couple of days ago), in order to ensure that defects are not passed on to other users. I have moved your topic to a more appropriate section.We also get many questions relating to the subject of user registration and login and, in very broad terms, I will repeat the advice I have given in the past: Kunena doesn't actually do login or user registration.

Kunena is not responsible for user registration, pure and simple. User registration is a Joomla function that may, or may not, be assisted by other components such as JomSocial or Community Builder or others. Kunena makes it possible to utilise these other components. In short, these are not Kunena matters.

However, the registration and login links at the top the Kunena forum pages do present unusual challenges to new users and I completely sympathise with the confusion that ensues. There are ways that you can use to overcome some of these issues - and I'm happy to discuss them with you - but I agree that this is a significant shortcoming of Kunena. There is light at the end of the tunnel insofar as these problems have been eradicated in the yet-to-be-released K 1.6 ... so you may have to be patient a little while longer for a permanent solution.
06 Apr 2010 04:39
Replied by sozzled on topic No user login desired

No user login desired

Thank you, Cerberus, for making my job here so much easier! :)

I just want to add a short comment to this topic - and for the benefit of others who may also be interested in future: Kunena doesn't actually do login or user registration.

I will repeat what I have written elsewhere ( Registration Page Issues ):

As I am "fond" of telling people ;), Kunena is not responsible for user registration, pure and simple. User registration is a Joomla function that may, or may not, be assisted by other components such as JomSocial or Community Builder or others. Kunena makes it possible to utilise these other components.

Therefore if you want to allow or prevent users from registering, you achieve these objectives via Joomla (see help.joomla.org to find out more about that) - these are not Kunena matters.

Your forum will thrive or fail because of the content that your users give, not whether they have to register or not. If your users are confused then let them ask you questions and wait for the questions to be asked before you worry unnecessarily about the possibilities. Does that seem like good advice?
05 Apr 2010 19:37

K 1.5.11: 'change username' javascript popup issue

Category: K 1.5 Support Archive

I agree this is probably not a high priority. I also agree that the JavaScript popup is incongruous and should be scrapped in favor of using Joomla System related error message displays.

I also agree that changing the username is adverse to the normal operation of Joomla. Additionally, as was pointed out, the main problem is that certain extensions, like Kunena, have designed one process or another based on the assumption that usernames won't change. For instance, in Kunena, posts are recorded with both a username and a userid, but Kunena takes a shortcut and uses the recorded username to display the user responsible for the post. This is technically incorrect and violates good normal form since the userid is already present and points to a username in the users table that just needs to be joined into the query that hoists this data. At that point it doesn't matter what the username is.

Kunena invited the situation by allowing the username change option without a method for properly keeping the identities straight on the screen in the wake of such a change or for refreshing the user session followed by a page refresh.

All things considered, it's probably not advisable to disrupt the underlying assumption that a username is not going to change. This keeps you straight with all the like assumptions that extensions are likely to make as well.

However, in our case, the whole scenario came up because we have a database of almost 5,000 users that we're going to pre-load into the system. We're doing this as a convenience to our users fearing we might loose some along the registration route. So we're making a random temp password and a temp username formed on the email address so we can e-mail them with a one click access invitation. Joomla may allow them to change their e-mail and password but not the username, which is why we wanted to use the Kunena change username feature since it was already resident.

At this point we've decided not to use that feature. Instead we're coding up an AJAX based change username feature that's only available if the user is NOT logged in. The routines reside inside an uncategorized article embedded in Sourcerer as a PHP script that provides the JavaScript and HTTP request code. In this case, the user provides the desired username along with the e-mail, the current username and the password for validation.

We are going to warn users that the change username feature is provided as a service intended to be taken advantage of before they start using the system to any degree, after which they will likely suffer from one kind of split identity or another, like prior Kunena posts. However, with Kunena their karma and ratings should all still remain intact. Trying to account for the behavior of so many extensions is a daunting task and is probably ill-advised.

In the end we might add a routine to change the username field in Kunena's messages table so that the username correction is made.

Still, this is an issue that Kunena will have to address if they are planning on rolling out a standalone Kunena template.

There is really no option other than Kunena for Joomla. There is no question it's the way to go. It is a Hall of Fame product.
28 Mar 2010 11:00

CB CAPTCHA does not appear on Kunena Login form?

Category: K 1.0 and K 1.5 miscellaneous third-party extensions archive

If I understand your problem correctly, you are saying that you are experiencing a problem with users being able to login to your website. Is that correct?

As I am "fond" of telling people ;), Kunena is not responsible for user login or registration. User login and registration are Joomla functions that may, or may not, be assisted by other components such as JomSocial or Community Builder or others. Kunena makes it possible to utilise these other components.

We have had many discussions about how well Kunena integrates the registration/login/logout functions with JomSocial and CB but, setting those aside, I strongly doubt that Kunena is involved in your problem. Your problem concerns CB Captcha which has nothing at all to do with Kunena.

Please refer your questions about CB Captcha to the people who are responsible for supporting that software: www.joomlapolis.com
16 Mar 2010 01:18
Replied by sozzled on topic Antispam and CAPTCHA

Antispam and CAPTCHA

As a general comment, Kunena is not responsible for user account registration (nor user login, either). Therefore the setting that you referred to, Kunena's CAPTCHA-powered "Spam protection system", has nothing to do with your user registration problems. This setting only has a purpose if you allow anonymous, "guest" posting privileges on your forum.

What specific problems are your users encountering with account creation?
07 Mar 2010 04:36

Login button redirects user to: /component/user/

Category: K 1.5 Installation, Upgrade and Migration Archive

* Go to: seo-web-design-co.com (No problem there)
* Click on: Forum (No problem there, either)
* Click Register (The registration form appears)
* Fill out registration. (For security reasons we do not register ourselves at users websites, but I assume that this function works as you have described.)
* It takes you to: seo-web-design-co.com/component/user/ where is says, "Welcome to the registered user area of our site." (OK, so users have registered. Sounds like everything is working as it should.) But have users activated their registration and have they logged in to your website? :unsure:

Here is what I wrote on the subject about an hour ago:

I have said this, and others have also said this, on many occasions: Kunena is not responsible for how users register or login to your website. That's the start, the middle and (pretty much) the end of the discussion. Joomla handles the way your users register and login. The Joomla registration process may be helped by third-party extensions like Community Builder or JomSocial or other extensions if you have installed them. :)

Kunena displays the "Please login or register" options at the top of the forum pages. Sometimes this works for people and sometimes it doesn't quite meet their particular needs. Everyone is different. Sometimes people want to use this area for other purposes; sometimes they just want the whole thing to go away altogether. Again, there's no commonality among the different kinds of requests we get on this topic. However, from a support perspective, the feature (that is, the login/registration links incorporated into Kunena) that you've referred to, this actually works. B)

Can users, who register at your website, login after they've registered and activated their accounts?

When your users have activated their accounts they can login and they should be able to post messages to your Kunena forum.
07 Mar 2010 03:11
Replied by sozzled on topic Please Test Login,

Please Test Login,

I have said this, and others have also said this, on many occasions: Kunena is not responsible for how users register or login to your website. That's the start, the middle and (pretty much) the end of the discussion. Joomla handles the way your users register and login. The Joomla registration process may be helped by third-party extensions like Community Builder or JomSocial or other extensions if you have installed them. :)

Kunena displays the "Please login or register" options at the top of the forum pages. Sometimes this works for people and sometimes it doesn't quite meet their particular needs. Everyone is different. Sometimes people want to use this area for other purposes; sometimes they just want the whole thing to go away altogether. Again, there's no commonality among the different kinds of requests we get on this topic. However, from a support perspective, the feature (that is, the login/registration links incorporated into Kunena) that you've referred to, this actually works. B)
07 Mar 2010 02:42
Replied by sozzled on topic Please Test Login,

Please Test Login,

I'm sorry. I don't understand your problem.

If you are having a user registration problem, please understand that this is not a Kunena support issue. You should seek assistance from the Joomla help forum . Kunena is not responsible for user registration.

If you are having a problem with users logging in, again that's primarily a Joomla issue and the solution may also lie in the same place.

If I have misunderstood your question, please let me know. :)
19 Feb 2010 23:45

creating new users - registration

Category: K 1.5 Installation, Upgrade and Migration Archive

Kunena is not responsible for actually registering new user accounts. Having said that, the link at the top of the forum page is a Kunena feature. The question is, what are we talking about?

Please confirm if this is where you are having difficulty. If you search for "register new account" you will also find many other discussion topics on this subject.
23 Jan 2010 04:01 - 23 Jan 2010 04:04

Where do i add a terms & conditions info for new users when they register?

G'day, 420blogger, and welcome to the forum. :)

I will repeat what I have written elsewhere ( Registration Page Issues ):

As I am "fond" of telling people ;), Kunena is not responsible for user registration, pure and simple. User registration is a Joomla function that may, or may not, be assisted by other components such as JomSocial or Community Builder or others. Kunena makes it possible to utilise these other components.

Therefore if you want to include a "You must agree to these terms and conditions before you can become a member" you don't do this with Kunena.

People fail to make the distinction: you're not registering with the forum (as you wrote) as though it were something independent of the website. User registration is a website issue. Kunena simply uses whatever you've done in Joomla ... as simple as that!

There are other extensions that may give you what you want. I think it's possible with JomSocial or Community Builder, for example, and you can browse the Joomla Extensions Directory for them. B)

What you could do, to address your issue, is to construct a "site policy" page as a Joomla article and refer to it in your forum announcement or forum description.
19 Jan 2010 01:47
Replied by sozzled on topic I have three questions

I have three questions

1. It may be possible - I haven't tried - to use animated gifs as smileys. See Smiley management in the Wiki
  2. Kunena is not responsible for user registration (see Registration Page Issues ). You will need to integrate Recapture with whatever component you have installed on your website.
  3. Ever since Kunena came on the scene there has never been a Bad Words plugin that has worked. Once upon a time there was a plugin available for Fireboard but this does not work now. From K 1.5.8 the configuration settings (to integrate with the defunct Bad Words filter) have been removed from Kunena.
13 Jan 2010 01:42
Replied by sozzled on topic On site notification

On site notification

Category: K 1.5 Hacks, Tricks & Tips Archive

As we have said on numerous occasions, Kunena is not responsible for user registration or account activation. You will have more success if you look at the Joomla forum .
09 Jan 2010 02:15
Replied by sozzled on topic Registration Page Issues

Registration Page Issues

G'day, dgreener, and welcome to the forum. :)

There's much folklore associated with how well Kunena integrates the registration/login/logout functions with JomSocial and CB (which probably explains why there are so many requests for how to disable the feature), but let's leave that aside and look at your problem. I strongly doubt that Kunena is involved in what's going on.

You say that you're not receiving the automated "activation e-mail". This could be due to several causes but the most likely one is that you registered your account with an incorrect e-mail address. Of course, it may simply be that your webhost may not have e-mail properly configured (for example, if you are using XAMPP on your own PC and you haven't installed a SMTP mail service). Therefore, my question to you is this: has your site ever sent you e-mail? :unsure:
Displaying 106 - 120 out of 122 results.
Time to create page: 5.224 seconds