Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that relate to migrating from other web-based forums and converting the data into a form that will operate with Kunena.

It is important to note that the Kunena team does not have a standard, recommended or supported protocol for these ideas and that posting questions in this category may not receive advice from team members.

Question PhpBB to Kenuna

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #1 by MetroHome
PhpBB to Kenuna was created by MetroHome
Is it possible to move data from PhpBb to Kenuna without a lot of work and without messing up all of my data in the process...

and is it 100% full proof it it is possible ot put the data back in the same order it is presently in PhpBB

I do not presently have PhpBB but I may be forced to use it with a OSE membership site, so I can use Joomla 1.5 for a while as Ose only supports Kunena 1.6
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by MetroHome. Reason: Left something out

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #2 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: PhpBB to Kenuna
I'm sorry but I'm not sure that I fully understand your question. You have asked if it's possible to migrate from phpBB to Kunena - and the answer to that question is yes - but you also have stated that you are not using phpBB. :S Hypothetically, migrating from phpBB to Kunena is achievable. Whether it's achievable 100% satisfactorily, without data loss, or at no financial cost to you is a different question - one that I do not know the answer to.

I have no knowledge of OSE, sorry, and I am unaware if OSE "only supports K 1.6"; that's a question you may need to follow up with the authors of OSE.

K 1.6.4 operates on J! 1.5.23 or J! 1.6.3 (whichever you prefer). :)
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 9 months ago #3 by MetroHome
Replied by MetroHome on topic Re: PhpBB to Kenuna
Lets assume I am using PhpBB as I may have to for a little while, assuming I was using PhpBB when the time comes what is your thought on moving the data over to a Kunena..

Is this a tough task, will there be a lot of data loss, will the data insert without a lot of errors are you aware of anyone who has done this and what was there experiences that you may know of

More
12 years 9 months ago #4 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: PhpBB to Kenuna
Depending on which specific version of phpBB you are talking about - I can only go on the testimonials given by other users who have migrated from phpBB to Kunena (as I have not done this personally) - we may conclude that this migration task is feasible. Assuming you are using phpBB it should be possible but this still sounds rather hypothetical.

The task of migrating from one forum format to another forum format always carries inherent risks and data loss can occur (as people have reported in the various forums I have visited where this similar questions have been asked) irrespective of what you may be migrating from and what you are migrating to. The question that is foremost in my mind is what guarantees are you looking for and, I suspect, such guarantees depend to a large degree on the technical implications of brand-X => brand-Y forum migration.

Many people report no ill-effects of forum migration. Others report moderate success and still others report no success at all. Those are my experiences.

As far as I am personally concerned, I do not subscribe to the forum migration school-of-thought but, I concede, it's an issue that each person must deal with themselves. I also accept that there's a genuine market for such migration services and the Kunena project team is desirous of doing whatever it can to assist users who are keen to avail themselves of those opportunities.

More
12 years 9 months ago #5 by LN888
Replied by LN888 on topic Re: PhpBB to Kenuna
:angry: I HAVE to interject here. :angry:

no one.... I MEAN NO ONE mentions the fact that it is NOT POSSIBLE to import/migrate phpBB3 to Kunena IF YOU ARE USING JOOMLA 1.6!!!!!!

So many times I am reading through forums and there are a lot of talk about the way you can migrate to Kunena 1.6 but it is ALWAYS for using Joomla 1.5!!!!

bottom line for the possibility for migrating phpBB to kunena....

YES - for Joomla 1.5
NO - for Joomla 1.6

THERE!
Someone needed to say it.
:unsure:

More
12 years 9 months ago #6 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re: PhpBB to Kenuna
No, there's no direct way to import all the data into Joomla 1.6 -- yet. Actually Kunena part of the migration should work just fine, but Joomla 1.6 itself is very different to J1.5, and you also need to be able to migrate users.

Time to create page: 0.396 seconds