Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that relate to migrating from other web-based forums and converting the data into a form that will operate with Kunena.

It is important to note that the Kunena team does not have a standard, recommended or supported protocol for these ideas and that posting questions in this category may not receive advice from team members.

Question Migrate Yahoo Groups to Kunena

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #1 by Stuff4Toys
We are setting up Kunena to replace our Yahoo Groups but do not want to loose all the old data.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Stuff4Toys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 10 months ago #2 by Stuff4Toys
Is there no way to import Yahoo groups to Kunena?

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #3 by sozzled
I'm not sure how to help with this question - that has remained unanswered for over 8 months - but I will do my best. Actually, your question has been asked before (see an identically-named topic from nearly 5 years ago called Migrate Yahoo Groups to Kunena ) but the result then was similar to what you may already suspect now.

The question ("Can I import Yahoo Groups data into Kunena?") could be interpreted in several ways:

1) Has anyone ever successfully developed a way to automate the migration of Yahoo Groups data into Kunena? I think, based on the fact that no-one has contributed to this topic, the answer to that question is probably no.

2) Is it techncially feasible to transfer Yahoo Groups data into Kunena? Well, of course, just about anything is technically feasible depending on how much time, effort and, possibly, money you are willing to inject into the solution. That's not a question I can answer off the top of my head because the answer depends on how important this data is to you and what steps you have already taken or are prepared to take to safeguard that information. I wrote an article that generally refers to this issue called I want to migrate my forum to Kunena ... and I suggest you might like to look at it.

3) Am I legally permitted to automate a process to transfer Yahoo Groups data into Kunena? I think that if you read section 18 of Yahoo's terms of service you may find a few legal encumbrances in this area. While it's technically possible to convert the data structures that are used in one place into a form and format used in another place, it requires detailed technical knowledge of the data structures. Because Yahoo's data structures are proprietary to Yahoo and the knowledge of those data structures is protected by their intellectual property rights, this makes the job of automating the conversion a lot more difficult.

4) Am I legally permitted to transfer what we've posted in Yahoo Groups into Kunena? Apart from the restrictions contained in section 18 of Yahoo's terms of service , section 9 of the TOU states

Yahoo does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Yahoo Services

As long as you do not infringe on Yahoo's copyright, or the copyright of another third party, you should be able to transfer the content posted in Yahoo Groups into Kunena.

Does this help?
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stuff4Toys

Time to create page: 0.362 seconds