Kunena 5.2 Beta 1 Released (24 Sep 2020)

The Kunena team is thrilled to announce the first public beta release of Kunena 5.2, a native Joomla extension for Joomla 3.9. This is a development release and should be only be used for testing; this version is not recommended for live websites at this stage.

The purpose of this release is to encourage testing by downloading, installing and identifying any problems or shortcomings that people may discover. K 5.2.0 B1 is stable and we are aware that people will discover defects. We encourage you to use the forum to report defects, as soon as they are discovered, so that the development team can work through the problems before the release of K 5.1 as a stable product. Reporting defects does not mean that the problems can or will be fixed. The Kunena team is looking forward to hearing your feedback on how well we have achieved our design goals.

× This is for users to help other users, to discuss topics that relate to migrating from other web-based forums and converting the data into a form that will operate with Kunena.

It is important to note that the Kunena team does not have a standard, recommended or supported protocol for these ideas and that posting questions in this category may not receive advice from team members.

Question Import from PHPBB3 straight to Kunena 3?

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #1 by Andyman
I am beyond tired of using phpbb3 with a bridge. It is cumbersome and my users don't like it. Seeing as how a Joomla 2.5-native Kunena is out now, the time is right to ditch phpbb3 once and for all and migrate to Kunena. Hurray!

However, I'm seeing all sorts of conflicting and confusing posts around the web about how to accomplish this, and most of the info seems very obsolete.

Ideally, I'd like to migrate my phpbb3 data straight into Kunena 3. This seems like it would be a fairly simple thing and would be the method most likely to preserve my existing data, as opposed to importing into earlier versions of Kunena and then upgrading (which seems like a mess waiting to happen).

Can this be done? If so, do you have any how-to information on it? If this doesn't exist yet, is it being worked on? I would be happy to donate some money to the team to help make it happen, and I'm sure I'm very far from alone in my need here.

Any info on this you kind folks can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Andyman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #2 by Andyman
Someone? Anyone?

More
7 years 3 months ago #3 by originalhandy
No you have to migrate from PHPBB3 to K1, then to K2 then to K3

Start here www.kunena.org/docs/PHPBB3_to_Kunena

I did it, its not that big a deal. Seems like more work than it actually is.
What you may run into is everybody being an Admin and everybody will have access to all forums, youll have to change that manually and upgrading from K1 to K2 you will possibly lose all your posts but a quick search here shows how to fix that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andyman

More
7 years 3 months ago #4 by Andyman
Does anyone know if it is necessary to go from K1 to K2 and then K3, or can I just upgrade from K1 to K3 after the import? It seems like fewer problems would be introduced upgrading once, directly to the new version.

Thanks!

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #5 by Andyman
The answer is no... no need to upgrade to K2.0 first. You can upgrade straight from K1.7 to K3.0 successfully after importing from PHPBB3 to K1.7. I hit a few minor snags (like all the categories being set to Nobody having access), but the issues are probably by design or are due more to my inexperience with Kunena than any real issue.

Now if I can just figure out why the thing works with SEF off and doesn't work with SEF on, I'll be in great shape! :D
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Andyman.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds