Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Important K 3.0.4 Cannot re-enable "Show New Topics" if it has been disabled

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #1 by harmlessdrudge
I am setting up a new forum and made the mistake, apparently, of enabling New Topics display to see what it looked like. I now can't turn it off. I have a telephone icon showing up whether there are unread posts or not. I've confirmed that the setting (shownew=0) is set correctly in the configuration -- the menu is working ok, but I'm not getting the desired result.

I just logged in as a new user and see a telephone icon beside some topics and a blue page beside others. The Views count is incremented when I view topics with the Superuser account but not with a registered user account. I'm wondering if these are connected? I've imported users from ning via buddypress. (I'd actually like to suppress the Views count.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Update: the phone icon doesn't go away after the topic has been read.

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 120 seconds | Max execution memory: 128M | Max file upload: 40M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : protostar | author: Kyle Ledbetter | version: 1.0 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle | author: Kunena Team | version: 3.0.4 | creationdate: 2013-12-22

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 3.0.4 | 2013-12-22 [ Ukko ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: None

Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by harmlessdrudge.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #2 by sozzled
I tried to visit your website but it doesn't seem to exist on the internet. When you wrote that you "made the mistake, apparently, of enabling New Topics display to see what it looked like and that you "can't turn it off", I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

Can you show us what this "New Topics" icon or display looks like that you "enabled" by mistake?

More
10 years 2 months ago #3 by harmlessdrudge
The URL is for an existing site (just a landing page if you put www in front). It links to a private site created with Ning. Both will be replaced with a Joomla site with Kunena if all goes well. I'm working with a local Joomla installation just now.

I've attached a part of a screen grab showing the phone and blue page icons I can't turn off and which appeared once I enabled Show New Topics.
Attachments:

More
10 years 2 months ago #4 by sozzled
Not sure about the answer. I think this has something to do with enabling the Blue Eagle template "Blend with Joomla" option. Perhaps you should turn it off? Can you please tell me, what is the configuration option to "enable" the New Topics display? (Sorry, I'm just not firing on all 4 cylinders today ... too many long hours in front of the monitor, I suspect.)

It would be much easier to see these kinds of things in real time rather than relying on second-hand information. Please read Support for PC-hosted websites (e.g. WAMP, XAMPP)

More
10 years 2 months ago #5 by harmlessdrudge
Kunena Forum / Configuration / Frontend / Show New Posts

(see attached)

"If set to Yes, Kunena displays an indicator about new posts since a user last visited the forum."

The indicator is big blue phone. "Blend with Joomla" is set to No.

I'm on a pokey DSL connection in a rural place working at home. Not ready to deploy anything online yet, besides it's for a private site. I'm not impatient and appreciate your fast responses! Many thanks.
Attachments:

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #6 by sozzled

harmlessdrudge wrote: "If set to Yes, Kunena displays an indicator about new posts since a user last visited the forum."

This setting is used to display a green NEW indicator on topics shown in the Recent Topics and Category Index. This setting is enabled by default. It also works in conjunction with category icons - the "blue telephone" in your case. We do not use the "big blue phone" category icon in this forum here at www.kunena.org .

Clearing the NEW indicator may need you to refresh the page in your browser. I guess (I've never tried it) if you use the setting

Kunena Forum: Configuration » Frontend » Look and Feel » Show New Posts = No

then you will get the "big blue phone" category icon? :unsure:

While developing a site on a local PC webserver is OK to establish whether an idea is feasible (i.e. proof-of-concept) it does not necessarily prove whether an idea is viable on a live, hosted, webserver environment. That's the essential point being made in the topic Support for PC-hosted websites (e.g. WAMP, XAMPP) . In other words, things may work (or not work) differently for a PC-hosted site as opposed to a properly-configured, commercially supported, internet site.
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #7 by harmlessdrudge
I'm confused. I'm just using an out of box Joomla and Kunena with almost nothing else installed. My category icon is a folder. The blue phone or page is apparently a topic icon (not a category icon). At any rate it showed up when I set Show New Topics to Yes (I may have turned it off while playing around with it before--but hadn't seen the phone before).

I wouldn't have minded at all if the folder turned green and had a "new" show up beside it, but the big blue phone that stays on whether or not there's anything new is something I want to get rid of.

Yes, I understand what you're saying about the site. I'm using a Bitnami Joomla stack which is quite a bit more robust than WAMP, XAMPP etc. ( bitnami.com/stack/joomla ). The idea is that the site is deployable to the cloud at the push of a button (almost) and works identically at either end. However, I don't know enough about Joomla to deploy it yet (still finding my way around and need to be satisfied I've got it fully secured). The forum is the most important feature and so far I like Kunena enough to persevere. And the speed of responses here is astonishing!!
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by harmlessdrudge.

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #8 by sozzled

harmlessdrudge wrote: The blue phone or page is apparently a topic icon (not a category icon).

Some time ago - months or years, I can't remember - I have seen this "blue phone" category icon ... or maybe I am mistaken and it's a topic icon? :unsure: I can't remember now. I don't know how or why or under what conditions it's generated; I haven't looked at my media folders on my website(s) to look for this image.

Because we cannot access your website, I cannot tell you anything more. We're relying on you to provide us with all the information about the image - its filename, etc. - because we have no direct access to your website. We cannot help you with the restrictions you've imposed on us.

Perhaps someone else in the community - someone who understands more about the blue phone icon - may be able to shed some light on this strange (to me) experience you are having.

I am more concerned about the subject of this topic which is "can't disable new topics icon" - because of the message it may send to other users of Kunena that making an unintential change on your site causes Kunena to go pear-shaped.

I don't know anything about Bitnami Joomla. I only know a little bit about "ordinary" Joomla. I, personally, have not done any local server development work for about 5 years. As I mentioned before, local server development work is fine to test theories, to establish proof-of-concept or to experiment with wild, crazy ideas. But, after all is said and done, local site development is "disposable technology" and it doesn't establish solid proof that experimental ideas will make the transition into the environment that people will use in live operation. (I'm not trying to lecture here; I'm just giving you an illustration based on my personal experience.) I understand your reasons for doing things in your local site environment - and good luck to you there, too - but we cannot necessarily resolve all of these local site development issues by "remote control" either.

If it's easy to deploy your site on the internet with the push of a button, why not do it now?

More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #9 by sozzled
I found the setting! :woohoo:

Kunena Forum: Configuration » Frontend » Look and Feel » Show New Posts = No

This does three things - two of which are not documented anywhere and the third that is a software defect! :pinch:

(1) There is no way for you or your forum members to use topic icons (like those we use here at this website) at all!

(2) If a topic has no replies then you will see the "blank page" topic icon; if a topic has one or more replies you will see the "blue phone" topic icon.

(3) When you set this option, you cannot revert it back the way it was! Furthermore, the value displayed is wrong! (More about this later)

I apologise for the misdirection. By default, the configuration option Show New Posts = Yes. If you set the value to "No" then, hey presto, instant blue phone!

More
10 years 2 months ago #10 by harmlessdrudge
Let me answer the last question first. The contents of the forum are confidential (may involve discussions on litigation). At some point when I get finished loading data, which I have almost done, I will back it up and replace the existing data with dummy data.

The folder is found at /joomla/components/com_kunena/template/blue_eagle/images/topicicons/system/normal.png

I'll document later what I've got installed if it will help (it's getting late here).

I understand the constraints and my expectations (already exceeded) are adjusted accordingly. I'll get to a point where I can provide access in due course. Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.406 seconds