Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Important Kunena does not work as my site homepage or with my Joomla menus

More
10 years 3 months ago #1 by woonydanny
Probably the biggest issue that Kunena needs to fix is the ability to have kunena as your site home page. And firstly, i have been using kunena since it was joomlaboard so please no need for quick responses that you can.

This just does not work, and the menus get all screwed up. If you just want to have a joomla site with kunena then this is impossible.

The kunena menu and its relationship to the main menu (and default showing on kunena pages), the ability to set kunena homepage as your site homepage menu item, and then also have a menu item called 'forum' so your site has links like domain.com/forum is a necessity

Matias and team can you please investigate and resolve as this is one of the fundamentals of being able to use kunena and joomla together and currently kunena does not work with joomla menus.

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #2 by woonydanny
My ideal setup would be:

Main Menu:
Home = kunena home page (url is site.com)
Forum = show kunena home page / category list (so that url is site.com/forum)
- Categories (so that url is site.com/forum/categories)
- Latest Posts (so that url is site.com/forum/latest-posts)
- New Topic (so that url is site.com/forum/new-topic)
- No Replies (so that url is site.com/forum/no-replies)
Blog
Contact Us

When in forum the url of the categories to be:

Section 1 (eg Dogs, so url is either site.com/forum/dogs or site.com/forum/categories/dogs whichever works best)
- Category 1 (url is site.com/forum/dogs/category 1)
- Category 2
Section 2 (eg Cats, so url is site.com/forum/cats)
- Category 3
- Category 4 (url is site.com/forum/cats/category 4)
- Topic (eg Why are cats furry? so url is site.com/forum/cats/category 4/why-are-cats-furry

currently with current kunena this is not possible

still wish that i can write my forum signature through a jomsocial plugin and do it from my jomsocial profile :(

More
10 years 3 months ago #3 by woonydanny
it also really annoys me that the kunena menu is automatically linked to the main menu showing of the kunena home page. no way to turn it off if you have the kunena menu shown elsewhere on your site.

i would prefer if you brought back the kunena_menu module postion that you can publish the kunena menu in that position yourself!!

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #4 by woonydanny
Thanks for your interest in this topic Sozzled, however i think you have missed the issue.

Yes, it is physically possible to create a menu to the kunena index page then assign that as the home page in the joomla main menu. This sets kunena as homepage for joomla, however if done it creates havoc for the rest of kunena. the home page links break the sef urls and start showing non-sef urls, menus go haywire and means you cannot set another menu item with kunena or have an alias to the kunena index menu item.

As mentioned, this is a known problem with Matias, and was just asking if this had been fixed in the upcoming K3.1 release as kunena is the main part of my site and i really would prefer to have it as my homepage, but after spending days trying over the last couple of years, it just wasnt possible and have the site keep functioning properly.

this would be one of my top wishlist items!

Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by woonydanny.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #5 by sozzled

woonydanny wrote: Yes, it is physically possible to create a menu to the kunena index page then assign that as the home page in the joomla main menu. This sets kunena as homepage for joomla, however if done it creates havoc for the rest of Kunena.

I spent half an hour testing my demonstration site and I could not see what havoc was created.

woonydanny wrote: As mentioned, this is a known problem with Matias, and was just asking if this had been fixed in the upcoming K3.1...

I'm sorry but I just don't totally comprehend the problem or the extent to which you say that Matias is aware of it; I haven't been able to contact Matias for a couple of weeks and so I don't know what he knows about this. Perhaps you might be able to clue me in? You will notice that I split the other topic (in which you talk about K 3.1) so that we could focus on what is broken in K. 3.0 and what needs to be fixed in your opinion.

woonydanny wrote: ... the home page links break the sef urls and start showing non-sef urls, menus go haywire ...

I must confess that on my test site (a) I have properly implemented Joomla SEO with a properly working .htaccess file (as recommended by Joomla), (b) I am using J! 3.2.2, and (c) I do not have any other Joomla extensions installed (except for Kunena) nor do I have any other menu items. But, I do not have any SEF URL issues as far as Kunena is concerned,

Until, or unless, we know more about your website and more about this problem as far as K 3.0 is concerned, I don't know what more I can say. Your configuration report might offer us some further clues. I'm only saying that, in my case where I have defined Kunena forum as my site home page, I cannot see any "havoc". :unsure: Would you like to try out my test site for yourself to show me where your issues arise? :dry:

I am unable to verify your claim that no-one can use the Kunena forum as their site home page (without creating "havoc" elsewhere). I do not know how discussion or speculation about what might be done in K 3.1 assists this topic; in other words, what, specifically, is broken in K 3.0. Wouldn't you agree? Perhaps other people who use Kunena forum as their site home page may like to contribute to this discussion also.

I have also moved this topic into our "support/defect" category I order to raise the priority of these serious concerns about Kunena as a dependable forum solution for Joomla users.
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 1 month ago #6 by woonydanny
Ok i think the best way to replicate the issue is to setup this:

Main Menu:
Forum = show kunena home page / category list (so that url is site.com/forum)
- Categories (so that url is site.com/forum/categories)
- Latest Posts (so that url is site.com/forum/latest-posts)

You will find that you cannot have the home page point to kunena home page and also have a menu item called 'forum' pointing to kunena index (or even as an alias).

i want urls of my forum to be site.com/forum/etc but cant have this if home page is set to be kunena.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #7 by Matias
Adding menu item alias to the URLs is a feature of Joomla router in Joomla 2.5 and 3.2 and there's nothing I can do to fix the issue.

Basically it means that you can set Kunena Menu > Forum as your home page, but unfortunately Joomla always adds /forum to every menu item under it. It's just the way how later versions of Joomla work and the same issue exists on every component or menus which are self-contained.

Its a known issue but not a bug in Kunena.

In case if someone is trying to understand the issue:

* Create a new site and install only Kunena into there
* In backend go to Menu manager and Kunena menu
* Mark /forum as your default menu item (home page)

The issue is that sub-menu items aren't aliased to /:

/
/forum/index
/forum/recent
/forum/profile
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Matias.

More
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #8 by sozzled
I would like to add a couple of comments to this topic:

woonydanny wrote: Main Menu:

That is correct and that is the way that Joomla should work. When you use Joomla SEO and you make a menu item the default (i.e. "home page" item and, let's say, the site is called site.com), the URL is site.com .

woonydanny wrote: Forum = show kunena home page / category list (so that url is site.com/forum)

This is also correct. If you go to any forum page in the forum after you have visited the home page, the SEF URLs of those Kunena menu tabs will be something site.com/forum/ <view>, where <view> is "index" or "recent", for example).

Let's look at the backend of a "typical" - OK, it's a very "vanilla-flavoured" - Joomla website. In J! 3.2.2 , the Menu Manager) shows us something like this:

Go into the kunenamenu menu and you will see a number of items (see the image below):

You see, from this second image, that I have made the first item (the one with the alias "forum") is the default Joomla (i.e. website) menu item (it has a "gold star") which is where you land after entering site.com into your brower; this means that when I visit my site, the first page that is opened - the home page - is the page defined by that "forum" menu item.

After that, when people go to different menu tabs in the forum, the URLs derive from this "root" (i.e. site.com/forum ).

If, for example, I change the menu item alias from "forum" to "xyz", then the URLS on the Kunena menu tabs derive their names from site.com/xyz ; so you would have site.com/xyz/index , site.com/xyz/recent , site.com/xyz/search and so on and so forth.

But things work a little differently when you go to categories or topics in your forum. Let's take an example - what is the URL of the (standard) "Welcome to Kunena" topic? Under the arrangement I have just shown, the URL would be site.com/welcome-mat/1-welcome-to-kunena .

Maybe this is not quite what you wanted to know - I'm not sure - but it gives us an example of how Joomla currently works and how the Kunena router generates URLs.

However, coming back to the subject of this topic that suggests that "Kunena does not work as a person's site homepage" (or how it interferes with or creats "havoc" with Joomla's menu system), I'm not sure exactly what is the problem or what needs to be done within Kunena to fix it.

Does this help to explain what the problem seems to be about?
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 1 week ago #9 by sozzled
@woonydanny: have you been able to follow-up on our suggestions?

More
9 years 11 months ago #10 by woonydanny

sozzled wrote: @woonydanny: have you been able to follow-up on our suggestions?

yes, Matias explained it well, and confirms that you cannot use kunena as forum home page if you dont want the name you give the forum menu item in every url of your whole site.

eg
if i name the kunena menu item 'forum' then all my urls of my site will have '/forum' in them so the menu item to jomsocial photos would be www.site.com/forum/jomsocial-photos

which is what i dont want.

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds