Kunena 5.1.18 Released (30 Jun 2020)

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 5.1.18 [K 5.1.18] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 3.9.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 5.1 and issues discovered during the development stages of K 5.1.

Question Malicious file upload is possible in the application

More
1 week 1 day ago #1 by anujitbhu
An attacker can upload malicious executable files on the system by simply renaming .exe file to .jpeg and the kunena forum allows it to upload even if the mime type check is active and the .exe extension is added to not allowed list.

It should do proper checks on Content type as well. This is a high risk vulnerability!

I'm using version 5.0.14 and we cannot give it to client till it is fixed. Please help me to put this code manually. Images are attached below.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 1 day ago #2 by mahagr
This is not a vulnerability as even if you upload the file, Windows will not allow it to be run, but sees it as a broken jpeg file. File content is almost impossible to detect properly, think about a bat file uploaded as a text file.

More
1 week 13 hours ago #3 by anujitbhu
then how can we prevent this type of broken file in a simple php file upload or kunena jquery

More
3 days 16 hours ago #4 by xillibit
Hello,

Why do-you want to prevent the upload if the file (in case of exe) can't be executed ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds