Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Question Why Kunena 4.x allows utf-8 characters in attachment filenames?

More
7 years 10 months ago #11 by baijianpeng
I use JPA format for backup package in Akeeba.

I will test the latest backup package which contains an attachment with Chinese words in its filename.

www.joomlagate.com/

Chinese Joomla Users' Portal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #12 by baijianpeng
Ok, today I made a new test: I know there is an attachment on my Kunena forum, that file contains Chinese words in its filename.

Then I made a full site backup with Akeeba 5.0.4 (the latest version). Next, I downloaded this backup package ( .jpa format) to my PC, and copy it to the web folder of my XAMPP testing server on local PC.

Then I use kickstart.php (v4.2.0 from Akeeba) to extract this backup package. The extraction process finished smoothly.

After restoration of the backup package, I noticed that the attachment can be downloaded properly on Kunena forum.

However, when I check the file list in that attachment folder via Windows File Explorer, I noticed that the filename of that attachment is showing NOT in Chinese words, but in some weird characters, unreadable symbols! They are NOT correct Chinese words, not the same as original filename on Kunena forum.

So, I think this is very bad. It could cause attachment links broken.

The best solution is to prevent non-ASCII characters in the filename of attachments.

If you prefer to see UTF-8 characters in filenames of attachment, I think we can make an option in Kunena configuration: Automatic change filename if contains non-ASCII characters: Yes / No.

Thank you.

www.joomlagate.com/

More
7 years 10 months ago #13 by baijianpeng
If Kunena team think "automatic renaming the filename of attachment" is too difficult to coding, could you please add a new option such as "check and refuse the attachment if its filename contains non-ASCII characters"? I think this is more easier to code than the other idea. And since this is only a new "option", which will not affect those users who really love to see utf-8 characters in the filenames of attachments.

Thank you.

www.joomlagate.com/

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #14 by baijianpeng
Today I was stuck with this issue AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!

When trying to extract the backup package made by Akeeba Backup on my Joomla website, the extracting process met error and stopped, because there is some attachments files in Kunena that use "Chinese words in their filename".

I had reported this issue again and again, why you Kunena develpers just IGNORE this problem? Don't you know that it is VERY annoying that those UTF8-character-filenames caused my backup package dead?

Could you please tell me How badly and how many times I should emphasize on this issue that will just draw your attention to fix this problem?

What I want is very simple: just an new option to "disallow any non-ASCII character in the attachment filename", you don't need to develop some code to automatically change the filename, just reject that file and tell the user to change filename manually if he wants to upload it.

This is just an OPTION, it will not affect those guys who really like to see non-ASCII characters in filenames.

I think this option will not HURT anybody, Ok?

Could you please just do something to solve it?

Thank you!!!!!

www.joomlagate.com/

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by baijianpeng.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #15 by xillibit
Hello,

I don't have ignored the issue but i have completly forgot it, i will add this issue into github to don't forget it

P.S. : github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/issues/4099

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by xillibit.

More
7 years 9 months ago #16 by baijianpeng
Thank you, hope you will add this new feature soon.

www.joomlagate.com/

More
7 years 9 months ago #17 by 810

More
7 years 9 months ago #18 by baijianpeng
No, I don't use WAMP, I only use XAMPP for my localhost testing server.

Procedures to reproduce this issue:

1. On my live website (CentOS OS, PHP 5.6, Joomla 3.5.1, Kunena 4.0.11), make a full site backup with Akeeba Backup the latest version, to JPA format package.

2.Download this JPA format backup package to PC ( Windows 10 64bit ).

3. On localhost testing server (XAMPP 5.6), upload this JPA file, and Akeeba Kickstart tool.

4. Try to extract this JPA file with Kickstart tool.

5. If there are some attachments of Kunena which contains Chinese words in filenames, the extraction process will halt and return error. The error message will point to the exact filename, which shows Chinese words in it. So I know which file had killed the extraction process.

As I had mentioned, adding a new option to allow the site Admin himself to choose "whether or not allow non-ASCII characters in filenames" will NOT hurt anybody. It is safe to do so.

Thank you.

www.joomlagate.com/

More
7 years 9 months ago #19 by 810
ok thnx, have you reported this to the akeeba team.

Because I want to have so much clean code as possible. And its 2016 so utf-8 should be fully working now.

More
7 years 9 months ago #20 by baijianpeng
I did not report this to Akeeba team. Because I remember that I had successfully extracted a JPA file before, that JPA file contains Kunena attachments that has Chinese words in their filenames.

I don't know why that JPA file can be extracted, why this one can not. I don't want to waste my time or your time on this question. because I know: if I refuse filenames containing Chinese words, this problem will not happen.

www.joomlagate.com/

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds