Kunena 5.2 Beta 1 Released (Yesterday)

The Kunena team is thrilled to announce the first public beta release of Kunena 5.2, a native Joomla extension for Joomla 3.9. This is a development release and should be only be used for testing; this version is not recommended for live websites at this stage.

The purpose of this release is to encourage testing by downloading, installing and identifying any problems or shortcomings that people may discover. K 5.2.0 B1 is stable and we are aware that people will discover defects. We encourage you to use the forum to report defects, as soon as they are discovered, so that the development team can work through the problems before the release of K 5.1 as a stable product. Reporting defects does not mean that the problems can or will be fixed. The Kunena team is looking forward to hearing your feedback on how well we have achieved our design goals.

Solved Preview does not work

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #21 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Preview does not work

mythus wrote: I was having trouble with Kunena Login Module - it kept complaining of outdated or whatever info in the fields. Sad. I really liked that log-in module and I hope ya'll get around to releasing one for kunena 4.

The Kunena Login module is unrelated to the preview problem. For what it's worth, the Kunena Login module has not been properly maintained for several years; some people love it and some people hate it. That's just the way it is. If it works that's good; if it doesn't work then c'est la vie.

mythus wrote: I decided to uninstall any kunena thing that was version 3, refreshed cache, did global check in, cleared caches in joomla and firefox... still preview is broken. Yet it works here?

The message preview problem has very little to do with site caching, browser caching, Kunena templates (e.g. Crypsis vs Blue Eagle as suggested by one of the developers earlier ), versions of Joomla (this website currently uses J! 2.5.28) or whether it is a full moon outside tonight.

The cause of the problem is simple: Javascript. The message preview feature requires AJAX . Once people get their head around this requirement then it's fairly easy to explain what has to be done next.

The Kunena message preview works on some websites and it does not work on other websites. That's a fact (and, by the way, I have never had a problem with the message preview feature on any of my websites where I use Kunena).

There are usually two causes why the message preview feature does not work:

1) The webhost does not support JSON; or

2) You have another extension that interferes with the Javascript function, required by Kunena, to generate the message preview feature.

How do you approach this problem? It all depends, really, on how important it is for you to resolve the problem. For some people it is "absolutely essential" to resolve this problem—as you say, some people aren't savvy with BBcode—ut the unmistakable truth is this issue has been with Kunena for as long as I can remember it (certainly from around the time of K 2.0). The reality is that people want the problem "solved" and they're not prepared to invest their time (or money) into the solution.

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that this problem can be fixed; I mean this problem—that affects everyone in different ways—can be fixed in different ways for different people. The bad news is that it costs a little bit to fix the problem. It takes time to identify the cause of the problem: is it a hosting issue or is it a conflict with another extension used on your website? If you have the time (and you do not want outside help) then, at least, you have identified one of those costs ... time!

It would take me forever to explain everything that people can do to resolve the problem. I do not have "forever"; for me time means money and I do not have an inexhaustible reserve of either. :)

There is professional assistance available to help with these kinds of problems (if people want them solved quickly). If people do not want to pay for external help then they will have to accept that their problems will not be solved quickly. Even with professional help, it can still take hours to work through the problem. There you have it: good news and bad news.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mythus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #22 by mythus
Replied by mythus on topic Preview does not work

sozzled wrote: The Kunena Login module is unrelated to the preview problem. For what it's worth, the Kunena Login module has not been properly maintained for several years; some people love it and some people hate it. That's just the way it is. If it works that's good; if it doesn't work then c'est la vie.

Aye, it's unrelated, and I understand the situation with the module. I only discussed it showing what I was trying in efforts to solve the problem for my site so that others might benefit from it and those who could offer suggestions on how to fix this would understand better all that I was doing.

I do fall in the camp of liking the module of course, so here's hoping that one day someone with skill to do so will give the module some love. Until then, or if such never occurs, as you say, c'est la vie. My site can and will live without it. :)

sozzled wrote: The cause of the problem is simple: Javascript. The message preview feature requires AJAX. Once people get their head around this requirement then it's fairly easy to explain what has to be done next.

The Kunena message preview words on some websites and it does not work on other websites. That's a fact (and, by the way, I have never had a problem with the message preview feature on any of my websites where I use Kunena).

There are usually two causes why the message preview feature does not work:

1) The webhost does not support JSON; or

2) You have another extension that interferes with the Javascript function, required by Kunena, to generate the message preview feature.

That is understandable. I'll ignore the appearance of a slight there as I am sure that is simply an effect of written discussion with a little bit of aggravation you must be feeling having to address this issue. I would kindly suggest that telling people to get their heads around something or saying that if people got their heads around something isn't the most effective way of responding to issues and would likely cause people with thinner skin to feel insulted, but eh, it's your choice to respond how you see fit. I am just happy that you - or someone somewhat official - even took the time to respond. It is better than feeling like the problem is being ignored, after all.

But enough of that eh? How about we discuss the meat of that quote there. I truly do want to solve the issue, and I am not expecting hand holding - just some kind direction. Do you know if there are any guides available to help tackle this? Anything that might point me in the right direction of where to look to make sure that I have the appropriate JSON support or to see if another module is affecting things?

In my first post to this thread you will see that I provided the report info to help with this, which lists all installed mods. There aren't many but that doesn't mean that one of them isn't affecting things right? I suppose the best route there would be to disable mods one by one and see what happens?

Being an unmanaged VPS that I have full access to, the JSON thing, if that is the issue, could be resolved. Am I right in thinking that ajax requires JSON? If so then I know my server supports it as the shoutbox is ajax/javascript.

Hmm.. maybe the shoutbox is the culprit... Will check and report in a minute. Before I do so, I want to touch on one more thing...

sozzled wrote: It would take me forever to explain everything that people can do to resolve the problem. I do not have "forever"; for me time means money and I do not have an inexhaustible reserve of either. :)

I can definitely understand that, and I would not want you to waste such time. Just giving me a point in the directions I might look is enough, truly.

Sozzled, I want you to know that I understand and appreciate your frustration, and am grateful you responded. I've read plenty of responses you've given on this forum, and I can see quite well what you've had to deal with. Please, take a break, drink a beer, and relax knowing that not everyone is looking for a fight.

If this problem has been brought up often, and it's not already been done, I'd think that maybe a page in the documents concerning it and possible causes to check out would save you and others lots of time.

Anyway, thanks again for responding. I'll check and see if I can find in some way the conflicting extension, and I'll report back my results.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

More
4 years 10 months ago #23 by 810
Replied by 810 on topic Preview does not work
If the preview isn't working there can be a conflict with;

1) Template, try default joomla template.
2) Plugins, disable all none default joomla/kunena plugins
3) Modules, disable the modules on the kunena pages
4) Bug in browser, try with different browsers

todo's

1) Update all plugins,modules,template updates
2) Check error.log on you hosting panel

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #24 by sozzled
Thank you very much for your reply, mythus.

In truth, I'm not in the least frustrated. I'm concerned that people are not getting they help they require and that people maybe expect too much within the confines of a discussion forum. The truth of the matter is that each person's problem is unique. There's no quick fix. There are only some general guiding principles (some of which are only acquired after spending years understanding how the whole website management "thing" works).

There are commonalities, of course. Sometimes the problem is caused by a certain webhosting provider (there's a fairly simple way to check this) and sometimes the problems are caused by one, two or more of (perhaps) dozens of extra "goodies" that the person who designed the website added. And perhaps, sometimes, the phase of the moon may play a part. :lol:

I have a saying: "nothing is impossible; everything has a cost". In other words, as soon as I put a figure on the cost on fixing the problem, the problem (invariably) is solved. If I have any "frustration" it's that people expect that this problem can be solved at zero cost.

Here are some facts:

1) This problem is not caused by Kunena (even though, in my opinion, this topic is incorrectly categorised in the "reporting defects" category here);

2) This problem is caused by "something" that Kunena needs;

3) This problem seems to affect (perhaps) less than 0.1% of all users of Kunena;

4) It can take anywhere between 1 hour and several days to pinpoint the cause of the problem (depending on the software "soup" that is your website);

5) 99.9% of the (less than 0.1% of) people who have this problem are prepared to pay zero dollars to have it fixed.

So, if I have any "frustration" it is only that I don't know what else I can say that I have not already written many times elsewhere in this forum .

You asked for a general guide to fix the problem. Hmm ... "educated guesswork", trial-and-error, serious commitment, patience ... depends really on whether you want to fix the problem that you now have or whether you're looking for an easy workaround.

More
4 years 10 months ago #25 by mythus
I've disabled the shoutbox. It didn't solve anything. I disabled any module that I wasn't using. Didn't solve anything.

1) Template, try default joomla template.

Using default templates. Check.

2) Plugins, disable all none default joomla/kunena plugins
Did so. Didn't solve it.

3) Modules, disable the modules on the kunena pages
Tried that. No Dice.

4) Bug in browser, try with different browsers

Preview works here with the same browser (firefox), but to satisfy this I've tried firefox, chrome, vivaldi, and gnome web browser. Still the lovely issue persists.

todo's

1) Update all plugins,modules,template updates
Checked, all are up to date.

2) Check error.log on you hosting panel

Looked at the error.log. It complains about the following A LOT...

errorlog wrote: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/mythus/public_html/administrator/components/com_rantispam/builtinplugins/kunena.php on line 88

Could rantispam be the culprit? I'd hate to disable it but maybe I should try?

Thanks, 810!

sozzled wrote: You asked for a general guide to fix the problem. Hmm ... "educated guesswork", trial-and-error, serious commitment, patience ... depends really on whether you want to fix the problem that you now have or whether you're looking for an easy workaround.

If I wanted the easy way out, I'd dump Kunena. Nah, I'm committed to finding the issue and fixing it. Being that I am studying here and hoping to learn something, I'd love to be able to find the issue, learn why that issue is there, and how to solve it. If that fails, there's always the pocketbook option - I am not against paying to solve this. But before I do that and miss this opportunity to learn, I'd like to try fixing it myself. :)

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #26 by mythus
Well, I just found the culprit...

It was rantispam.

I wonder, those who don't have this issue, do you have rantispam enabled?

Disabling rantispam causes the preview function to work on my site. I worry about what ramifications might come keeping it disabled though.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by mythus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #27 by sozzled

mythus wrote: Well, I just found the culprit... It was r-Antispam.

Congratulations! I wonder what the developer of this product must be feeling if people start identifying r-Antispam as a cause of the Kunena message preview feature falling over?

You asked, in an off-handed way, whether disabling r-Antispam will cause you any "ramifications". It is only my personal opinion, of course, but I do not believe in anti-spam products tacked-on to Kunena will address the mitigation of spam on anyone's website. It's a bit like what I wrote earlier in relation to the Kunena Login module: some people adore anti-spam products and some people quite happily live without them. I cover this subject in more detail in an article I wrote a few months ago: How to stop forum spam in Kunena . (Feel free to add any comments you might have about that article; I welcome all suggestions, comments, criticisms, other insights.)

As long as we're clear on one thing: r-Antispam may not necessarily be the only culprit and it may not be responsible for all instances of the message preview problem.

More
4 years 10 months ago #28 by mythus
Thank you, I'll be sure to read that article.

sozzled wrote: As long as we're clear on one thing: r-Antispam may not necessarily be the only culprit and it may not be responsible for all instances of the message preview problem.

Of course. Everyone has different situations on their site that could just as likely cause the issue. On my site that was really the last thing left to check - joomla wise that is. Once I disabled it I slowly re-enabled the few other mods I have. I don't have many, wanting to keep things simple so I don't detract from the purpose of my site too much. I can happily announce that so far preview still works.

Now there are still some modules/extensions left to enable - mainly JCE editor and JDownloads, but those aren't crucial to my or my site's needs. Should I enable them and the preview function ceases to work again, I'll live without them.

I am still curious though on how many having this hissue (or had this issue) can trace it back to r-Antispam. I am equally curious on if those who don't have this issue have r-Antispam enabled.

You've linked to the developer of r-Antispam for a reason. I'll be sure to let him know that, for me at least, it possibly affects Kunena's preview feature.

Thanks again.

More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #29 by sozzled
I use JCE Editor and I have not experienced any issues with this and with Kunena. there have been instances where JCE Mediabox have caused problems with Kunena in the past but I think they're all ancient history now. I dont know anything about JDownloads, sorry. It's probably safe but, you're right, you should check it.

More
4 years 10 months ago #30 by phredcg
Replied by phredcg on topic Preview does not work
I finally got it to work, but I had to completely unpublish the Kunena - Community Builder Integration plugin. I can live without that, but it is too bad as it would be great to have that kind of integration. I know others were able to fix it by just changing the access control, but that did not work. I tied various combinations of the settings, but the only thing that worked was disabling it completely. The kind of users we have would be more confused by a preview that does not work than not having what the integration allows.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds