Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Question GoDaddy and K 3.0

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #11 by Moonstone
Replied by Moonstone on topic GoDaddy and K 3.0
Really? I've been hosting with GoDaddy since 2005 (since my pre-Joomla PostNuke days) and have been extremely happy with them up until now. This is the first time any of my issues have been host-related.

Anyway, I read this update on the GD forums posted 2 days ago:

We’re in the process of rolling out support for MySQL 5.5 to all Web Hosting plans. If you do not see 5.5 as an option when creating a new database, then it is not yet supported by your account. It will be coming soon, but I do not have an ETA I can provide.

The MySQL 5.5 servers will be separate from the MySQL 5.0 servers, so existing databases will not automatically upgrade to 5.5. You would need to make a backup of your current database, create a new MySQL 5.5 database, and then restore the backup into the new database. You would then need to update your application’s connection strings to use the new database.

It's not yet supported for me, but seeing that others now have it makes me hopeful.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Moonstone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #12 by bgreen0722
Replied by bgreen0722 on topic GoDaddy and K 3.0
GD still has not upgraded their MySql. I just got off the phone with them and got ticked off at them for not keeping pace with the rest of the tech world! What is everyone doing to handle this issue? I have spent countless hours developing a site with JomSocial which supposedly requires Kunena. I'm on Joomla 3, the latest Jom, and the latest K wont install because of the DB issue. Everything seems to be running right, I just get an occasional error message on the front end that K is not installed. It does not seem that K is required for registered users to be able to create groups on the front end.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by bgreen0722.

More
10 years 8 months ago #13 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic GoDaddy and K 3.0

bgreen0722 wrote: What is everyone doing to handle this issue?

What is everyone else doing? We're not using GoDaddy. Sorry, but that's the truth.

It costs very little to get a good hosting service. There are thousands of them around the world today. If GoDaddy's customers are not happy then it doesn't cost a lot to say good-bye to GoDaddy and go somewhere else.

(I have never used GoDaddy and I would never use a hosting service that costs less than $50 per year to run my business)

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #14 by Moonstone
Replied by Moonstone on topic GoDaddy and K 3.0

sozzled wrote: (I have never used GoDaddy and I would never use a hosting service that costs less than $50 per year to run my business)

Actually, what is frustrating is that is no longer the case. GoDaddy hosting now comes with a significant price increase. In fact, I just renewed my hosting with a $20+ annual price increase. That makes my hosting alone (not including the domain name) cost almost $72 a year. I have to wonder where my money is now going, exactly.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Moonstone.

More
10 years 7 months ago #15 by TedHed
Replied by TedHed on topic GoDaddy and K 3.0

Moonstone wrote: The latest version of MySQL GoDaddy offers for Linux hosting accounts is 5.0.96, and Kunena 3.0 won't install without a minimum of MySQL 5.1.

No K3.0 for some of us GoDaddy users, it seems. :(

I am in the same boat with Network Solutions. Their excuse is that I'm sharing a server so upgrading me would upgrade everyone. Not sure why that would be bad. I'm not asking them to downgrade.

More
10 years 5 months ago #16 by philowantage
Replied by philowantage on topic GoDaddy and K 3.0
Today I failed to load K 3.0 on Godaddy.
My MySql version is 5.5.19 and I got the "MySQL 5.0.96-log is not supported." error.
GD support looked at my problem for 20 minutes and couldn't provide any more info nor get the problem fixed. I'm just getting started with the squeeky wheel procedures. I'll report back here on my progress. I would appreciate any positive feedback from others.

More
10 years 5 months ago #17 by philowantage
Replied by philowantage on topic GoDaddy and K 3.0
I'm stiffled by Godaddy and their MySql platform. MySql 5.5 has had general availability since December2010. Why can't we get and upgrade to 5.5? They responded today ( Oct. 29, 2013 )

Our current shared hosting plans do not have access to MySQL 5.5. However, our newly released Plesk and cPanel enabled shared hosting environments do have access to MySql 5.5. We are working on upgrading all of our systems to MySQL 5.5 as soon as possible.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but I may vote with my feet if they don't git er done.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #18 by sozzled
The issues that people have with GoDaddy and their apparent refusal, reluctance or inability to meet their client's expectations, is not just an issue for Kunena but, more broadly, for being able to create Joomla websites using GoDaddy as a hosting platform.

Although this topic states (as the subject title) "GoDaddy and K 3.0" I think that it's important to state a couple of important facts.

The technical requirements for K 3.0 are defined, in general terms, as those that meet or exceed the same requirements needed for the supported versions of Joomla, viz. J! 2.5 and J! 3.1 (and soon-to-be-released J! 3.2). That's just stating a simple fact.

If webhosting providers cannot meet the minimum requirements for Joomla then, it follows, that people will not be able to use K 3.0 either.

The minimum requirements for Joomla (and Kunena) are "a reliable webhosting platform" - and people can make their own interpretion of that - or, in other words, a place where the necessary software components have been assembled that allow people to conduct their website business.

There are a plethora of "reliable" website hosting providers. Choosing a reliable webhosting provider depends on many factors:

• Does the provider have all the ingredients needed to run my website?
  • Does the provider have a good reputation and responds in a timely manner to its client's ongoing needs?
  • Can the provider's platform support my current and projected business requirements?
  • Is the webhosting platform good value for money?

This is not an exhaustive list and, besides, every person has different needs or may prioritise their needs differently. Therefore, it's impossible to give a guaranteed answer to the question "what is the best webhosting provider for Kunena?" ... (or for Joomla for that matter). Sorry, but that's just stating another fact.

When J! 3.0 was in its planning stages, I looked at the minimum technical requirements and compared those against what my webhost provider (which was not GoDaddy, by the way) was offering. I asked my webhost provider what plans they had to upgrade their software to align with the minimum technical requirements so that I could move ahead with the times and utilise the power of J! 3.0 for my site development activities. The response I received from my [then] webhosting provider - with whom, up to that time, I had been very happy - was lukewarm. Their response was something like "one day we might upgrade our software but we don't have any plans to do that in the short term." So I immediately started looking around for another webhosting company and, as soon as I found one, I "jumped ship" and transferred my website business elsewhere. It took me less than a week to do it. I have never looked back with regret at this, one of the best decisions I have made.

The short answer, not just in relation to GoDaddy (which I know very little about, except from reading the comments in this topic), is this: if you do not get the service you paid for then you need to do what you need to do to get better service ... or take a "chill-pill" and accept the consequences. In the final analysis only you can decide what is best for you.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shimei

More
10 years 5 months ago #19 by TedHed
Replied by TedHed on topic GoDaddy and K 3.0
If you know of a Joomla/Kunena friendly host, please send me the name via PM.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #20 by sozzled
:S

TedHed wrote: If you know of a Joomla/Kunena friendly host, please send me the name via PM.

This is off-topic; however, in case others are similarly interested, please see What are some good webhosting companies that support Kunena? . Obviously each one of the thousands of members of this community knows of at least one Joomla/Kunena-friendly webhosting provider. How else can we explain the half-million (and more) websites around the world that use Kunena today?

The main point I want to make is that everyone has different needs and there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Just as there are bad, cheap webhosting providers - and there are bad, costly webhosting providers, too - there are also good, webhosting providers that suit a whole range of budgets.
Warning: Spoiler!

I apologise if some of what I've written here is off-topic. It makes little or no difference what anyone says is good (or bad) about a particular service or product. In the final analysis, only you can decide what is best for you. :)
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds