Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Installation error - Unable to create destination

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #21 by sozzled
It's not complex. I will give you a way to establish whether the problem is with the way you built you website or whether the problem lies with your hosted server environment.

I call it the " When all else fails, try this " approach.

If you start with a totally clean, no-frills, "vanilla-flavoured" Joomla website, built by using the standard Joomla installation method, then you will probably not have this problem. On the other hand, if you used some "scripted" installation method - and we are all aware that many webhost providers have next-to-useless scripted Joomla installation tools built on products like Fantastico for example - then things may work differently.

If you start with a solid, dependable foundation, where files are owned by apache:apache (for example) and folders and file permissions are set according to how the Joomla installation process should set them, then there should not be problems like these "JFolder::create: Could not create directory" problems.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #22 by Funesto
Whops!
Did you ever thought "Am I so stupid?" when reading on troubleshooting: " Have you plug your device to the power source?"

Well THIS IS THE FIRST TIME that my hosting did not reserved ALL THE SPACE for web services. My issue was due to "Out of free space".... :blush:

Well now I re-allocated space and Kunena was installed pretty simple.

Sorry again.... No Minimum requirements, no file permissions ors Jeek stuff ..... JUST FREE SPACE!!! :blink: :blush:

Well Thank you!!! I suggest to include this case to the "minimum requirements" :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #23 by friday shoes
Not the same problem as mine then because I've got gigs of free space.

Maybe the mods should separate the thread again if it's not the same issue.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by friday shoes.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #24 by sozzled
We are not splitting this topic. We were, in effect, asked to bring two separate issues together. I cautioned you earlier not to be too hasty to agree that two separate issues be treated the same.

sozzled wrote:

Funesto wrote: Same problem I have in my thread ...

Although I am a little sceptical when people make the claim "I have the same problem" , for your sake I have merged the two topics together in the hope that, perhaps, you will both be able to help each other with this "same problem".

General information about folder/file ownership/permissions is given in the Wiki article Securing Kunena . The information in this article is obtained from Joomla.

Please understand, this is not specifically a Kunena problem. This is a problem relating to website administration.

The advice I gave before, as the approach to resolving this matter, remains the same.

Funesto has tried to help. It's not his fault that his solution does not work for everyone.

More
10 years 8 months ago #25 by friday shoes

sozzled wrote: We are not splitting this topic. We were, in effect, asked to bring two separate issues together. I cautioned you earlier not to be too hasty to agree that two separate issues be treated the same.

I didn't say it was the same problem, Funesto did. Also neither I nor Funesto asked for the threads to be merged either. That was done before we even had the chance to suggest it.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just pragmatic and ultimately just want to find out what causing the problem. Now that Funesto has solved his problem and I've confirmed my issue is not the same that's why I suggested the thread be unmerged.

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Funesto

More
10 years 8 months ago #26 by Funesto
... and to be honest, it WAS the same problem, since I found the solution. Minimum requirements was OK for both, Folder permissions was OK for both, Jfolder could non create anything for both ...

Now that I found my problem (by myself) we know that the causes are different, but the problem is the same: JFOLDER could not create anything even if we minimum requirements to install.

I did not ask for merging the topic, but we had the same replies to our questions, maybe you thought we had, as replies was identical! ;-)

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #27 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Kunena 3.0.1 wont install
There are many reasons reasons why software may be incapable of writing data on storage devices. The problems can include hardware failure, no space available, security restrictions, data corruption ... all kinds of things.

There are also many reasons why exactly the same Joomla error message appears on (literally, thousands of) different websites, too. The problems may be dissimilar. It's not that these are necessarily different instances of the "same problem"; these are only different cases of the same error message.

That is why I wrote the article I have the same problem ... .

As forum moderators we don't always get it right. Merging a topic was, in my view, how I thought I could best assist you. Merging two topics together is "mechanically" a fairly easy thing to do; splitting a topic, once merged, is not so easy. Perhaps it was the wrong thing to do but, really, does it matter now? What's done is done and let's move on. I have a dozen or more other matters I would like to attend to and debating how we moderate the forum is not one of those things.

So ... I'm sorry if I made a mess of things. Let's move on shall we?
The following user(s) said Thank You: friday shoes

More
10 years 8 months ago #28 by friday shoes
Am glad to say I finally solved the installation problem.

All I needed to do was add this line

:/volume1/web

to open_basedir settings on my Synology Nas drive

For anyone else you can find the settings in control panel > web services > php settings.

Tick the Customize PHP open_basedir and add the :/volume1/web line to end of the existing code.

Then install Kunena which went without problems.

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds