Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Installation error - Unable to create destination

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #11 by friday shoes
I successfully connected to my server using telnet and signed in under root user.

I used the following telnet command

chown -R nobody:nobody /volume1/web/

I then tried installing kunena again using the same method at the beginning of this post and I get the same error.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by friday shoes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #12 by Funesto
Same problem I have in my thread.... It's very strange because I had some other installations OK

More
10 years 7 months ago #13 by Mortti
Now, things can get a little complicated when we start talking about shared Web Servers, the Web Server software will be running with its own username and groupname, most servers are configured for them to use either "apache" and "apache" or "nobody" and "nobody" as username and groupname. Here is the problem. Your Web Server runs as its own user, and this user is not you or in your group, so the first two sets of permissions do not apply to it. Only the world (other) permissions apply. Therefore, if you configure a permissions set similar to 640 on your website files, your Web Server will not be able to run your website files.

docs.joomla.org/How_do_UNIX_file_permissions_work%3F

More
10 years 7 months ago #14 by friday shoes
Good to know I'm not the only one then.

More
10 years 7 months ago #15 by Funesto
According to "Joomla Directory Permission" I have everything WRITABLE, except for "configuration.php" file

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #16 by sozzled

Funesto wrote: Same problem I have in my thread ...

Although I am a little sceptical when people make the claim "I have the same problem" , for your sake I have merged the two topics together in the hope that, perhaps, you will both be able to help each other with this "same problem".

General information about folder/file ownership/permissions is given in the Wiki article Securing Kunena . The information in this article is obtained from Joomla.

Please understand, this is not specifically a Kunena problem. This is a problem relating to website administration.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mortti

More
10 years 7 months ago #17 by Mortti
Replied by Mortti on topic Kunena 3.0.1 wont install
I recommend you guys to take a look of your server provider... personally, I recommend you guys CGI or FastCGI server providors, it's so simple!

docs.joomla.org/Security_Checklist/Hosting_and_Server_Setup
docs.joomla.org/Security_and_Performance..._hosting_provider.3F

These are things, what is NOT Kunena things, but Kunena is Securing too that and you cannot blame us! I think...

More
10 years 7 months ago #18 by friday shoes

sozzled wrote:
Please understand, this is not specifically a Kunena problem. This is a problem relating to website administration.

Could it be a problem with the Kunena installation files? What if I were to unpack the main zip and put all the folders within the package file into the correct libraries/components/media/plugin directories and go to discover instead in the extension installation menu?

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #19 by sozzled
@friday: I have lost count of the number of times I have consistently, without failure, installed Kunena. On a standard, no-frills, uncomplicated, Joomla platform, it takes less than 30 seconds to install Kunena. I never unpack installation files; I rarely even download installation kits, these days, if I can avoid it. And, besides, the Kunena installation package is a bit "tricky" to run if you don't use Joomla to install the software for you.

I hardly ever see these folder/file permission problems these days because I never change these things when I first install Joomla.

But even though it takes next to no time to install Kunena, the process will not work the same way for you (as it does for everyone else) if the security on your site is different to a "standard" Joomla site.

For your information, I suggest you read carefully K 3.0 Installation Guide and watch the video.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #20 by friday shoes

sozzled wrote: @friday: I have lost count of the number of times I have consistently, without failure, installed Kunena. On a standard, no-frills, uncomplicated, Joomla platform, it takes less than 30 seconds to install Kunena. I never unpack installation files; I rarely even download installation kits, these days, if I can avoid it. And, besides, the Kunena installation package is a bit "tricky" to run if you don't use Joomla to install the software for you.

I hardly ever see these folder/file permission problems these days because I never change these things when I first install Joomla.

But even though it takes next to no time to install Kunena, the process will not work the same way for you (as it does for everyone else) if the security on your site is different to a "standard" Joomla site.

For your information, I suggest you read carefully K 3.0 Installation Guide and watch the video.

Yes I did watch the video and read the guide, that's why I thought this would be a piece of cake, alas something so simple has turned into something quite complex.
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by sozzled. Reason: removed "ebay" item accidentally quoted from an earlier message

Time to create page: 0.447 seconds