Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Please Read This First:

This is a community-driven self-help category to ask questions about designing or developing your own Kunena template. Please be aware that there are rules that apply to topics posted in this category:

Do not use this category for:
  • asking questions about how to make simple changes to a template designed by the Kunena project team (use K 3.0 Templates instead);
  • advertising your own template designs.

Topics that do not meet the above guidelines may be removed without notice.

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

Question If you disable the browser setting "download images", forum buttons are not visible

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #1 by Fox
Using the default kunena template, when the browser is set to "don't load images", the topic buttons are not visible, because the links have a white font over a white background.

- Demis Palma -
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Fox.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #2 by sozzled
Sounds like a good reason to not mess around with that browser setting to me. :lol:

Pretty simple to fix this: change the colour of the font.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #3 by Fox
Thank you for the suggestion, but in my opinion it should be considered a bug. That's why I spent my time reporting that.
Sure, I changed the font before posting, but in this way the Kunena team is wasting the opportunity of fixing it on the official release.
In addition, this is not the appropriate section: I originally posted the message under "Reporting Defects" category.

- Demis Palma -
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Fox.

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #4 by sozzled
Let's just say that I disagree with your assessment that this is a bug (or a design defect). The issue arises when some users decide to disable standard browser settings in relation to "download images" and, in the 4½ years that I have been associated with this project, this is the first time I've seen this matter raised in this particular context.

It may be possible to devise some clever [Javascript] script to query browser settings (in the few cases where people have chosen to disable standard browser features) and load an alternative CSS. Kunena is open source and people are welcome to devise and share their solutions in non-typical cases like these. I hope you also understand the position of the Kunena developers who have a mighty job on their hands trying to deliver a product that operates successfully in the overwhelming majority of cases where people use modern web browsers, where people are typically not constrained by the "cost" of downloading images, and where issues like these occur once in a blue moon.

Perhaps some people may agree with you that this is a design defect but, in the grand scheme of things, is it worth diverting the efforts of the development team to remediate it?

If you, or someone else who shares your interest, have a suggestion for a solution, we welcome that input here. You are also welcome to participate in helping the Kunena project by offering to join the development team. I'm sure all team members - not to mention all members of this community - would appreciate your assistance.

More
10 years 8 months ago #5 by Fox

Let's just say that I disagree with your assessment that this is a bug (or a design defect)

I don't want to discredit your opinion. I am not a native English speaker, and I probably have used wrong words, which doesn't express exactly my thought.
I can try in a different way: with image loading disabled, I can browse almost everything of a kunena website (including this one) as shown in the screenshot. Forum tabs, login / logout buttons, links, controls, everything. Except for a few important buttons, such as "Reply".
It seems to me an unnecessary limitation.
Let's say that to me, there is no reason why the Reply button should have less dignity than the others controls. :)

It may be possible to devise some clever [Javascript] script to query browser settings (in the few cases where people have chosen to disable standard browser features) and load an alternative CSS

Actually I was thinking to a simple css statement using "composite style background" or something similar, to have a background fallback when images are not loaded:
Code:
background: #828282 url("../media/iconsets/buttons/default/default.png") repeat-x 0 -480px;

You are also welcome to participate in helping the Kunena project by offering to join the development team.

I appreciate your invitation. I am already an active contributor in Kunena translations
www.transifex.com/projects/p/Kunena/language/it_IT/
but if I'll have a few more time I will request to join the development team with pleasure.

- Demis Palma -
Attachments:

More
10 years 8 months ago #6 by sozzled

More
10 years 8 months ago #7 by Fox
I don't know if the forum is the right place to submit similar small fixes while I am not a member.
Is there a better place to submit?

- Demis Palma -

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #8 by sozzled
The forum is the right place to discuss ideas, to report things that you may be concerned about, and to contribute your opinions about whether the current and proposes design of Kunena is "unnecessarily restrictive" for general purposes.

In unusual situations like this one - and let's understand that, in the 4+ years that I have been a member of this forum, I have not seen a question like yours asked where someone deliberately wants to run their browser with "download images" option disabled because, I think we have to acknowledge, that's not how people run their web browsers these days, generally-speaking - if you have a proposal for a solution we would love to hear of it.

The forum is the right place for the exchange of these ideas. GitHub is the place where developers take the ideas from here and build software. But GitHub is not the place to ask for solutions to issue that occur where there is little likelihood of demand for them.

Yes, your "fallback solution" idea might be workable. It might be better to use GitHub and see if the developers respond to you there. Or, if the developers have the time and the interest, they might look on the forum at your suggestions.

Time to create page: 0.570 seconds