Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Email Notification Not Working

More
10 years 9 months ago #11 by vscire
While testing today I made some minor changes to the settings which did not fix the problem, but here is the new configuration:

This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Disabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 30 seconds | Max execution memory: 256M | Max file upload: 64M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : beez5 | author: Angie Radtke | version: 2.5.0 | creationdate: Unknown

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle 2.0 | author: Kunena Team | version: 3.0.0 | creationdate: 2013-05-15

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 3.0.0 | 2013-05-15 [ Wanga ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: None

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: None

Modules: None

The topic has been locked.
More
10 years 9 months ago #12 by sozzled

vscire wrote: While doing some additional testing this afternoon I noticed that when I posted topics as test user Keith and replied to those topics as test user Scott, the "reply count number" next to the topic remained 0 when Keith was logged in.

I don't know if having to approve messages impacts on the issue about email notifications "not working"; maybe it does, maybe it doesn't?

What happens if you do not subject your forum categories to the need to approve messages? Do the email notifications work then?

Have you enabled Kunena debug mode to see if this helps shed some light on why your users do not seem to be receiving email notifications when messages are posted (i.e. when they are published) on your forum? :dry:
More
10 years 9 months ago #13 by vscire
I turned on the debug mode and tested another post and reply. The only message I get is "Warning: Kunena Debug Mode has been turned on!" However, maybe information appears in a spot that I'm not seeing. I did change some of the configuration earlier today, and now an administrator does not need to approve posts.

There are plugins that are Kunena plugins that are not enabled. Could that be my problem?
Kunena - AlphaUserPoints Integration
Kunena - JomSocial Integration
Kunena - Community Builder Integration
Kunena - Gravatar Integration
Kunena - UddeIM Integration
More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #14 by sozzled
Do not enable plugins that you do not need (especially those integration plugins). If you want to know more about what these things do, see Forum integration with other Joomla extensions

After enabling Kunena debug mode and submitting a new post in a topic to which other users are subscribed, you should see (at the bottom of the screen) further details about what happened when Kunena processed the submit request. Do you see any information about what happened?

Changing the configuration (without knowing what you are doing) - "experimenting" as it were - can be a dangerous thing that only further complicates matters. Reverting to the default configuration may be a better option and the first step to diagnosing what's going on. As I have written numerous times on this forum, Kunena should work, first time, out-of-the-box with no modifications needed to the configuration.

In cases where you want to test if email notifications are working, make sure that the forum email address (in the Kunena configuration) matches the site email address. This may be the only change that you need to make (see Subscription Emails are not working
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by sozzled.
More
10 years 9 months ago #15 by vscire
With Debug turned on I don't see messages on any pages except the warning that it is turned on.

I used the feature to return the configuration to the default settings and that did not solve the problem.

The email address I use is a gmail account, so I created an account at HostGator using the Cpanel as mentioned in the thread for which you sent me a link. I changed the Global Settings in Joomla to the new email server at HostGator. Unfortunately, I got the same result. Emails are sent to the administrator, but not the creator of the original post for which there was a reply created.

Is there a method to uninstall Kunena and re-install? Maybe starting over is the solution?
More
10 years 9 months ago #16 by sozzled
I have asked the developers to look into this matter about what happens when messages need to be approved by a moderator/administrator and email notifications are not sent after the message has been approved. It is possible that email notifications may not be sent (after the approval is made). This part of email notifications (where message review/approval is involved) may not have been tested and it is possible that the email feature may not work if message review/approval is involved.

We do not use message review at this website ( www.kunena.org ) because we do not feel that it is needed here and therefore I, personally, have not tested this feature. I have asked, a couple of times, for the developers to look at this matter and give you their considered response to your question. You could be right. This feature may not work if message review is used on a person's forum. I do not know any more than this. Sorry.

It's easy to uninstall and re-install Kunena if you think it would help. Before doing that, however, can we eliminate the possibility that message review/approval is a factor in preventing email notification to subscribed users?
More
10 years 9 months ago #17 by vscire
Thanks for your continued attention to my issues. I have tested the situation with the forum set up so that approvals of posts are not required and I still have the email problem. I will try to uninstall and re-install.
More
10 years 9 months ago #18 by Matias
Reinstalling Kunena doesn't help, I'm suspecting that there's a bug somewhere (my quick look into the code didn't reveal it, though).

Let's try to summarise the issue and try to figure out when emails get send and when they're not sent.

I would try these use cases:

* Category which doesn't need approvals
* Category which needs approvals

In both of them:
* Make one user as a moderator
* Make one user as a subscriber to the category
* Make one user as subscriber of individual topic

Then do these actions as yet another user (user himself doesn't get emails):
* Post a new topic (both categories)
* Reply to existing topic with subscriber in it (both categories)
* Approve both topic and message as moderator (moderated category)

All of these actions should send emails to someone. Which ones don't?
More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #19 by vscire
I attempted the testing that you requested and found that things seem to be working properly, which had me very confused. The last thing I did on Friday of last week was to make some changes on the web server and uninstall Kunena and then re-install. After I did those things nothing changed. The Global Moderator received emails, but not the users. I gave up and walked away for the weekend. The changes that I made on the server had to do with how primepoint.com is hosted. I am using HostGator. primepoint.com was not the primary domain, that is, the files were not at the top level in the Public HTML folder. I made the necessary changes so that all the files for primepoint.com were moved up to the Public HTML folder. But, as I said, nothing changed with reference to getting email notifications. HOWEVER :) after the changes to the server and uninstall - re-install the categories and topics where where still in tact and I continued to test replies to the topics that had been posted prior to the changes. Today, things work with any new topic, so I think this is resolved.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by vscire. Reason: typo
Time to create page: 0.611 seconds