Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved K 3.0 SEO Meta Description Generators

More
10 years 5 months ago #21 by sozzled
Thanks for the feedback but I don't quite understand the immediacy of the problem and, in particular, how it may affect this website here at www.kunena.org (or other sites, for that matter, either).

Kubik-Rubik wrote: As ChaosHead said, this should be fixed as soon as possible to improve SEO in Kunena!

What happens if this problem is not fixed "as soon as possible"? Will life on this planet as we know it cease to exist? (I'm kidding, of course, but I think it's important for us to all understand the reasons for why this seems to be such an urgent matter) Being quite serious, if this problem is not fixed, as soon as possible, what is the impact of the problem on this website here ( www.kunena.org ) and for other people? This is really the essential question and this is the issue that I don't understand. I would really appreciate expert guidance on the matter. I read the article you referred to and it really did not seem to make a lot of sense in terms of this being a pressing problem that requires priority treatment.

Kubik-Rubik wrote: I have fixed it already on my project page. The fix is very easy and needs only changes in two lines in the view class of Kunena.

And, what, specifically, is the fix that you recommend, please? I would like to refer this to my more experienced colleagues who can offer their thoughts. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #22 by Kubik-Rubik
Sozzled, I do not refer to this website (kunena.org) but to the handling of the internal link structure in general! Just examine a big forum such as forum.joomla.org , you will never find a nofollow attribute for internal links.

The problem to use the nofollow attribute for topics is that Google does not index the linked pages and does not use the link for the ranking. Obviously, every administrator wants to have these pages in Google's index, or what do you think? See also here for more details: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow#Interpret...idual_search_engines

The good thing is that the search engines are smart enough to use the feed to get the needed data from the forum... but this is not an optimal solution. The nofollow attribute should at least be removed from the topic links (as I have implemented in my Kunena instance).

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions
kubik-rubik.de

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #23 by sozzled
Thank you for your reply but, I'm sorry to appear obtuse, I still do not fully understand the urgency and the consequences for not addressing this matter with the priority that a few people seem to think is required.

I am more concerned about the broad statement made earlier in this topic that there is something that needs to be fixed "as soon as possible." This statement could imply that there is something seriously wrong that affects all Joomla websites using the Kunena forum - and the forum at www.kunena.org is no different to any other site, true?

Do we have a problem for all Joomla websites using K 3.0.3 - yes or no - and if we do have a problem what are the consequences. I really would like some evidence or examples of the consequences so that I can help you by providing evidence on the developers to prioritise this as a more urgent need. :)

It's not so much that there may be a problem. The issue is (as Matias wrote earlier) the priority that this matter needs to be given serious and urgent attention. I am more concerned whether this is an urgent matter than affects any (or every) website using Kunena software. From the sounds of things, this is not something that we need to be too worried about with www.kunena.org but, I agree with you, it affects different people in different ways.

Can you help the developers of Kunena to show them where, specifically, they should make changes for the future - we are currently working on K 3.0.4 - and possibly this is something that could be used in the near future. Perhaps you might like to contribute your suggestions on GitHub ?
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
10 years 5 months ago #24 by ssh
Please consider for version 3.0.4 to modify the last part of every URL when using SEO feature on kunena.

For example:
www.examplewebsite.com/category/ 2

instead of:

www.examplewebsite.com/ category?limitstart=50

This should work better for crawlers (URL Parameters)

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #25 by Shimei
What I set out to do was to find out why Joomla! articles on my site net 80% of all traffic. Although there are almost equal amount of content in the forums, the traffic brought in by search engines is nearly 20%. I changed all nofollow to follow, something happened after two weeks. My traffic went from 200 visitors a day to 700+ visitors, but then for some reason I was slammed back to the mediocre traffic rates after a week of great traffic. So I have no hard stats showing another change that I can pin point, only that change happened, but with Google making so many changes to their search it's hard to pin point any positive or negative changes.

My only thing that I can think of that indicates something is wrong is the amount of traffic coming in from non Joomla! component (Kunena) compared to Joomla!. I notice Joomla! has no nofollow attributes, so I thought to just experiment myself and rid of all no follow.

Also, I noticed that there are urls that are "unread" but redirect, even if made follow, so I can't see any negative impact upon making all follow.

Oh, forgot to add, it would be nice to have only one h1 header in kunena index for Joomla search, this is something that Google places emphasis on. And article titles should be H1, but not in the main or index page. There should be only one h1 there and... everything else should use h2 h3 and so on. It would also be nice to have meta description for the forum and keywords that can be set as different than that of the global joomla meta info for index page. When I look at this page I am amazed that Google can even make sense of it at all! I'd like for the index page itself to find its way through the search rankings and rank for the forum of its kind: keywords: forum reformed theology ect

Just some thoughts, and Thanks
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Shimei.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #26 by Shimei
As an example, Kunena index page scores 50% for h1 and h2 tags. This is horrible considering it is coming from the flagship Kunena site. Here's a great resource for testing h1 and h2 tags which can be selected from the drop down menu: seositecheckup.com/tools or one could just check source of the index page and count or see what is being used as h1 and h2. There should be only one h1 telling what the page is about that Google will place emphasis upon. H2 next and so on...
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Shimei.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xillibit

More
10 years 5 months ago #27 by Kubik-Rubik
Created issue with link to the solution in GitHub: github.com/Kunena/Kunena-Forum/issues/2092

Regards

Kubik-Rubik Joomla! Extensions
kubik-rubik.de

More
10 years 5 months ago #28 by xillibit
Maybe that change can be integrated partially : github.com/xillibit/Kunena-forum/commit/...ca5a6eac5104ccbfb641

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds