- Posts: 937
- Thank you received: 116
The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 220.127.116.11 [K 6.1.3] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.2.x/4.3.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1.0 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.1
Use this category:
- to ask how to install or upgrade; or
- if you encountered problems during the installation or upgrade procedure.
Use a different category to ask questions about problems that you may be having after you successfully installed or upgraded the currently supported version. If you are unsure what is the current supported version of Kunena, please go to the download page.
Solved Forum lost categories after upgrade to J4
With the exception that after kunena version 6 I was uninstalled.
I first imported the old kunena V5 data .sql.
And I also saw in Maintenance: Global Check-in that category table of kunena had to be checked in there.
but further your adjustments in categories and ranks
done and yes I must say then it does indeed work.
But then it is also to be hoped that one will also be there somewhere
the old kunena v5 media files is called saved so
one can still use it.
The fact that you can't open themes is probably because no categories are published. I've noticed that categories that are not published still show as published in the backend. Publish some categories and then try to create a topic.
By the way: The database collation for Joomla 4.x and Kunena 6.x should be utf8mb4_unicode_ci or utf8mb4_general_ci.
Thank you. I am unable to create any categories to publish on the back end. No pre-existing categories made it through the update, and the back end gives the error each time I try on the back end. I added my observations of what was happening on the front-end to give some perspective that would perhaps give further insight.
I'm sure that the primary cause behind all of is that the categories did not survive the upgrade, despite doing our best to uninstall on the J3 site and install as per the documentation.
Thanks for noting the correct database collation - is there a script one can run via phpmyadmin to update this perhaps? Or would it just be better to uninstall K6.1.x and try to install it afresh again, or is it likely to lose the entire history in that scenario?
You can set the collation by clicking on "Operations" at the top and then scrolling all the way down. At Collation click the pulldown menu and scroll all the way down and select unicode_ci or general_ci under utf8mb4.
Below that click "Change all table collations" and if you want also "Change all column collations". Then click on OK in the lower right corner.
Then wait until the message appears that the character set has been changed. With large databases this can take a moment.
Important: Make sure to create a backup first.
Migrate the forum and users to a new site
I think this isn't going to work as my site has been upgraded and live on J4 for about a week now; I thought we could do this on the J4 site. We have an online shop and had new users with transactions etc. since that update. Because of the relatively active shop, we had to do the update on a live situation, following the upgrade instructions (that for whatever reason failed) after encountering issues on the dev site when we didn't follow those instructions.
I don't think I can go back to the old backup of all the J3 users and then lose some of those that registered and shopped in the meantime. I will probably just make the forum page something else - copy and paste the old Q&A into a document of some kind and then decide what to do about Kunena; start over perhaps.
Thanks anyway, I appreciate your input.
with wamp or xampp .
Then again try to Upgrade to Joomla 4 and Kunena version 6 in the right way.
If that worked out well, you can only do it with phpmyadmin
Export all Kunena tables
and you can then put it back in your current version.
So then you don't touch the regular Joomla user
And if you can work with Wamp or xampp server
then you can also update your current website/shop
run in it as well (just make different database names but keep the same prefix .)
I often do this myself in this way to convert old forums
to the new version
Thank you both very much for your phpMyAdmin guidance.
We created the upgrade on our dev site using an old backup of the J3 site to start with.
Were extremely careful to uninstall/delete absolutely everything Kunena 5 and all the related menu items, trashed and burned in the J3 dev site.
Managed to upgrade successfully... such a relief!
Exported the new dev site Kunena tables (ensuring the collation was correct)
Also trashed and burned the Kunena menu items on the live J4 site.
Imported the new Kunena tables to the live site, and it successfully restored the component and the menus.
Fortunately, with the forum not working (only displaying recent topics) on the live site, there were no lost posts.
I'm very grateful for your input, thanks again for taking the trouble to do so.