Kunena 6.2.5 & module Kunena Latest 6.0.7 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.5 [K 6.2.5] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.3.x/4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Upgrade problems with K 1.x -> K 2.0.3 (and solution)

More
11 years 2 months ago #41 by sozzled

Phoenix wrote: ... K 1.7.2 has serious security flaws with SQL injections and is attracting hackers who are looking for outdated software to exploit and causing CPU spikes.

The first part of that statement is true. I don't know about the affects of such exploits that lead to degraded CPU performance, however.

The situation is the same with K 2.0.2. There is a known XSS code-injection vulnerability that was addressed in K 2.0.3 (which is why K 2.0.3 is important). The team has also discovered two other XSS code-injection vuinerabilities in K 2.0.3 (which are also present in all previous versions of Kunena) which will likewise make it imperative for people to upgrade to K 2.0.4 at the earliest opportunity following its release. You will minimise the possibility of security issues by upgrading from K 1.7.2 to K 2.0.3 and that is the first step in the process to keep your site as clean as you can possibly make it (and not only for the benefit of getting your host provider off your back ;) )

I haven't solved the mystery of the missing post - evidently there's an issue with the database that I would like get the developers to investigate - but thank you for your understanding.

As far as problems you're having with upgrading from K 1.7.x to K 2.0.2 are concerned, in a few words, what is the basic problem? Have you considered "plan B" (i.e. upgrade from K 1.7.2 to K 2.0.3 and then tweak the database in the manner indicated in Kunena 2.0.3 known issues )? Direct manipulation of the database is not recommended in all cases, especially if you lack confidence in understanding SQL or in site restoration.
The topic has been locked.
More
11 years 2 months ago #42 by sozzled

Phoenix wrote: FWIW ... I just clicked recent posts on the forum and received this error ...

500 Internal Server Error
Fatal Error was detected!

Please contact the site owner.

Go back

The no replies tab is producing the same. All the other tabs are working.

Phoenix

It seems like you have issues with the Kunena menu. Is that what you are saying? Have you tried restoring the standard Kunena menu? Would you like help in showing you how to do that?
More
11 years 2 months ago #43 by Phoenix
Hi sozzled,

This is on the Kunena forum here (not my own). I'm using Firefox if that helps

It's still happening as of the time of this post.

Phoenix
More
11 years 2 months ago #44 by Phoenix
This message contains confidential information

Database collation check: The collation of your table fields are correct

Legacy mode: Disabled | Joomla! SEF: Enabled | Joomla! SEF rewrite: Enabled | FTP layer: Disabled |

This message contains confidential information
htaccess: Exists | PHP environment: Max execution time: 60 seconds | Max execution memory: 512M | Max file upload: 200M

Kunena menu details:

Warning: Spoiler!

Joomla default template details : jbcultivate | author: Anthony Olsen | version: 1.1.2 | creationdate: June, 2009

Kunena default template details : Blue Eagle 2.0 | author: Kunena Team | version: 2.0.2 | creationdate: 2012-09-02

Kunena version detailed: Kunena 2.0.2 | 2012-09-02 [ Botschafter ]
| Kunena detailed configuration:

| Kunena integration settings:
| Joomla! detailed language files installed:

Third-party components: UddeIM 2.9

Third-party SEF components: None

Plugins: Search - Kunena Search 1.7.2 | Content - Kunena Discuss 1.7.2

Modules: Kunena Latest 1.7.2 | Kunena Stats 1.7.2 | Kunena Login 1.7.2 | Kunena Search 1.7.2

As far as problems you're having with upgrading from K 1.7.x to K 2.0.2 are concerned, in a few words, what is the basic problem? Have you considered "plan B" (i.e. upgrade from K 1.7.2 to K 2.0.3 and then tweak the database in the manner indicated in Kunena 2.0.3 known issues)? Direct manipulation of the database is not recommended in all cases, especially if you lack confidence in understanding SQL or in site restoration.

There are currently two issues. I upgraded to 2.02 (instead of my original plan of 2.01). My forum was left with two threads out of about 10,000. I ran the SQL query and recount statistics and they all came back.

When I did my last backup before I locked the forum late last night ... I made a post after the backup warning people that there would be issues today with the upgrade (again ... this was after the backup).

When I restored the last backup with k1.72 ... this thread was of course missing (it wasn't part of the backup). When I upgraded to 2.02 and followed the "procedure" however, along with restoring all the missing posts ... the title of my thread was attached to another thread with a different title.

I tried to edit the main title but discovered that it couldn't be changed (at least I don't know how to). The thread is the fourth one down in the recent topics view titled "Site Outages" but the contents are the contents of another thread that was originally titled "Store in San Diego".

My question is do you know how this could have happened (it's the only "mixed" thread like this I've seen in the forum) and is there a way to edit the main topic title to change it back to what it should be?

I'll wait for your reply and then post my second question which is a little more complex ... and important (at least to me) :)

Phoenix
More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #45 by sozzled

Phoenix wrote: I ran the SQL query and recount statistics and they all came back.

Well, that's good news to hear. :)

The other problems that you're having are probably unrelated to this general issue that people are having with the more "widespread" loss of most/all of the forum and they probably deserve a separate topic(s) (although I'm still a little mystified as to the cause).

Your Kunena menu shows that you have a couple of items that seem to "go around in an endless loop" and my advice is that you attempt to restore the default Kunena menu. See The Kunena 2.0 Menu for more information on that subject.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by sozzled.
More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #46 by Phoenix
Hi Sozzled,

Both of my issues are now solved so I won't need to open another thread.

While I still don't know why it happened ... I discovered that a main topic title can be changed with "moderate thread" so I just changed it to what it was originally.

My other issue was connected to both "endless loop" symptoms and why my forum posts were using a different alias in the URL than the forum category. My only forum category was using the number "2" for an alias by default and this avoided endless loops but it would spontaneously revert to using the same alias as the category name after about an hour of working on the site and as soon as this happened it conflicted with a Kunena menu item which had the same name as the category. This happened every time and caused all kinds of other issues as I tried to "fix" it.

The problem was that I didn't realize that category names also couldn't conflict with menu items and I hadn't realized until this that the forum main section and category names were what was appearing in the URL rather than menu names. I had a "category" menu item that was the same name as the category itself. Because the conflict wasn't between menu items it didn't show up in my forum menu manager so I didn't realize to look at the category names until this made the conflict apparent to me. I did a couple of trash, burn, builds but each time I needed to change the names of the menu items back to match what is listed in many links to my site and as soon as I re-named the "offending" menu items the problem would re-appear. The solution was to disable the menu "category" item (which was the main forum view and showed all the posts in my only category instead of the categories themselves) and use the index menu item for the forum category view I wanted.

I don't know if this is mentioned on the forum (potential conflict between forum categories and menu items) but I hadn't read it if it was and only knew about menu conflicts which I carefully avoided.

So overall ... I ended up solving the issue and learned more about the structure of Kunena in the meantime. I still have a menu item which is the same as my main forum section but it's the top level kunena menu item (mattress-forum) which is a menu link which shares the name with the only section in my forum so this isn't conflicting and makes the URL's consistent. Clicking the main menu forum link shows a url of mysite.com/mattress-forum.html (pointing to the mattress forum top level Kunena menu item which in turn points to the index category view), clicking the forum menu index provides a url of mysite.com/mattress-forum/index.html (again the same category view), and clicking a post title shows a url of mysite.com/mattress-forum/general-mattresses/thread#-post-title.html (instead of mysite.com/mattress-forum/2/thread#-post-title.html) which is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for your feedback about the security issues as well :)

I thought I'd outline what I was facing and trying to do and it's solution (even though it's somewhat off topic for the thread) rather than just quietly celebrate that everything was working (after about 48 continuous hours of frustration and no sleep) in case it helps someone else.

Phoenix
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Phoenix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled
More
11 years 2 months ago #47 by sozzled
Thank you for your feedback and your excellent analysis of a couple of issues you were having that, although unrelated to this topic, should help others who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Phoenix wrote: I discovered that a main topic title can be changed with "moderate thread" so I just changed it to what it was originally.

Yes, that's the way to go about this. The Moderate Topic feature allows you to change the subject of a topic and also to be able to rename the subject of all messages posted in that topic.

Phoenix wrote: My other issue was connected to both "endless loop" symptoms and why my forum posts were using a different alias in the URL than the forum category. My only forum category was using the number "2" for an alias by default and this avoided endless loops but it would spontaneously revert to using the same alias as the category name after about an hour of working on the site and as soon as this happened it conflicted with a Kunena menu item which had the same name as the category. This happened every time and caused all kinds of other issues as I tried to "fix" it.

Yes. The Joomla menu system is tricky. A lot of people think that the problems they have are caused by Kunena when, in fact, the problems are caused by the way that the Joomla menu system (which is used by Kunena) operates.

The problem is compounded because the design objective for Kunena was to have a single installation package that would operate whether the target system was J! 1.5 or J! 2.5. The issue becomes more complex because of the differences in the menu system used by those different versions of Joomla. There may be opportunities in the future when Kunena finally removes all the legacy code needed for J! 1.5 systems and this task (of removing that "legacy") will commence with K 3.0.

Even so, the issues surrounding the Joomla/Kunena menu system will continue to make things awkward for people who want to customise their forum to all kinds of different ways by allowing their users to navigate to different parts of the forum. We're aware of the issue. For those who truly understand how the Joomla menu system works this isn't a real problem; for the 95% of all Joomla users who have never delved into the subject these issues will continue to baffle them.

Our simple/quick-fix is to suggest to people to start by using the standard Kunena menu and then change things carefully (one item at a time) and work through each problem before presenting us with "I have no idea why things are not working" when they may never have had things working in the first place. Fortunately, the K 2.0 configuration report shows you exactly what menu items you're using and you can begin to see where conflicts may arise.

Again, thank you very much for the time and trouble you went to in analysing your separate problems and for giving back to the community with your insight. It's very much appreciated.
More
11 years 2 months ago #48 by welling
An existing 1.7.2 forum with categories and posts upgraded to kunena 2.0.3

Upgrade proces finished with no errors, everything noted with OK. The forum now shows all categories however with 0 posts! In the table kunena_categories almost al fields are filled with initial values (0). How to solve this problem?
More
11 years 2 months ago #49 by sozzled
*** Topics merged ***

G'day, welling, and welcome to Kunena.

As you will see, if your browse through this topic, your problem is not unique to you. The solution is given in the information posted in this topic.
More
11 years 2 months ago #50 by welling
Hi, I encounter the same problem. Wonder if you have already solved this issue? Regards
Time to create page: 0.457 seconds