Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Solved Non existent thread gives 200 HTTP status code instead of 404

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #1 by cybnet
Hi!!

I've notice that when I delete a thread in my kunena forum, the URL still works and shows this message: "You don't have permission to access this page". The problem is that the HTTP response code is "200 OK" instead of "404 Not Found".

I've also tried appending a non-existing thread id (no previously deleted) to my forum category URL and the result is the same with a 200 code.

Is there anyone else with problem?

I use joomla 2.5.8 and kunena 2.0.3.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by cybnet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #2 by xillibit
Hello,

Do you have just put in trash or completly deleted it ?

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
11 years 4 months ago #3 by cybnet
Hi xilliiy!!

The problem is with threads that has been sent to trash, completly deleted or even if I use a random non-existing thread id.

More
11 years 4 months ago #4 by sozzled
I really do not know the answer to this question. Why is it important if K 2.0.3 generates a HTTP 200 response instead of a HTTP 404 response and what difference does it make.

The point is that if you have a non-existent topic then you have a non-existent topic and attempting to link to a non-existent topic will fail. I think it should be that simple.

If, for example, I write "Go to www.kunena.org/forum/K-2-0-General-Quest...-code-instead-of-404 " this will fail because the topic does not exist. Does it necessarily matter? That's not for me to say. I'm only providing my personal opinion and I will leave it to technical experts to argue the merits of whether the outcome should be HTTP 200 or HTTP 404 and leave it at that.

Good luck. I hope you receive the outcome that you seek.

More
11 years 4 months ago #5 by cybnet
Excuse me sozzled but I can't agree with you. If a page dosen't exist, the HTTP response code should be 404, not other. This has been the standar in web developing for many years and it is still the standard. Also, you get a "Access Denied" message, obviously is not an appropiate message. Following the standard helps to search engine and users:

- The HTTP status code is saying to search engines that the page exists when it's not. Also you can get a lot of URLs with duplicate content.
- The screen message can confuse users as they will think that they have not enough permissions. But the reality is totally different.

Of course I'm not going to link a non-existent topic but I can delete a existent one that has been previously linked or indexed by search engines.

Maybe is not a big problem as the forum works and nobody can access to non-existent topic but it is something that is not working as it should be.

More
11 years 4 months ago #6 by xillibit
This is for SEO, when server return code 200 when the topic has been deleted it's not good. And for user it's not good neither

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
11 years 4 months ago #7 by cybnet
Nice you understand my point of view. Can you confirm that it is a issue that kunena developers will try to fix?

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #8 by sozzled
I can confirm that this is an issue that will not be addressed in K 2.0 because, in our opinion, this is not something that requires "fixing".
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #9 by cybnet

sozzled wrote: I can confirm that this is an issue that will not be addressed in K 2.0 because, in our opinion, this is not something that requires "fixing".

Sorry sozzled, my previous message was to xillibit who agrees with me and who is a kunena developer (as I can see bellow his avatar).

So, I ask again to some kunena developer to confirm if this issue are going to be addressed or not.

And sozzled, I would like to know why you think that the HTTP response code is not important.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by cybnet.

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #10 by sozzled

cybnet wrote: And sozzled, I would like to know why you think that the HTTP response code is not important.

It is not me who "thinks: this. My understanding of what xillibit wrote is that the Kunena team believes tat, from an SEO perspective, the current situation is not entirely appropriate. Although we're sympathetic to the situation, the matter will not be addressed in K 2.0.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 1.004 seconds