Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Merged Last post date "42 years ago" - access denied to topic - database errors

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #21 by sozzled

marfisk wrote: I don't understand the answer. Patch up the database how? Do you mean when it occurs go into the database to fix it on a case by case basis? Or am I missing something as far as a real, long term solution?

Yes, exactly. I mean, do as we do here: patch the database as, or when, required and if it's important enough for you to do this. At K.org we experience this "42 year" phenomenon one time in every few thousand messages posted at this site. When these things happen we either choose to fix the error or we ignore it.

I do not doubt that a search of Google may show hundreds of thousands of results with the text "42 years" and Kunena. But what about searching for "Topic started 42 years" AND Kunena ?

These things undoubtedly happen and it would be good to know why they do and it may be reassuring to know if there's something that can be done to either (a) prevent this from happening or (b) easily remediate/recover from the problem after it has happened.

As I was attempting to suggest earlier earlier in this topic, the solution depends on how tightly people value and demand data integrity.. If one were running a business that depended for its existence on having a database solution with zero tolerance for error, then, if this were my business, I would not be reliant upon MySQL as my database solution ... and neither are businesses whose existence depend on having the most reliable, durable, robust and scalable database solution that money can buy.

We have not eliminated the possibility of unintentional PHP coding errors or code-injected exploits of database integrity, but I think we should try to obtain a realistic assessment of the scope of the problem and the effort involved in dealing with it. I'm not implying that there is an absence of interest by the Kunena project team to investigate these issues - I am aware that there has been a discussion on this topic - but I don't know what the team has decided can or will be done about this issue as a long-term solution.

The business of the Kunena project, as conducted on this site, is dependent on the software functioning properly but, in the rare cases when things don't always work, I would not say that the business of the project has been seriously threatened by those failures either.

This is where I want to leave my involvement in this topic. My recommendation is to fix the problems on a case-by-case basis. Other people are entitled to their own opinion.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #22 by ozneilau

sozzled wrote: At K.org we experience this "42 year" phenomenon one time in every few thousand messages posted at this site.

For a one in a thousand error, this seems like a reasonable approach.

On the affected website I look after, it has been more like 20% of posts. This makes it a high maintenance product so unless I'm confident the issue can be fixed, why would I risk installing Kunena on any other website?

Neil
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by ozneilau.

More
11 years 6 months ago #23 by marfisk
Neil,

To follow up on the connectivity issue, on the site where you have a 20% drop off, how do the users connect?

We've seen it only twice so far, but we just switched to this software this week, and people are still migrating in, so it's not a viable sample.

The issue for us is that it's a volunteer organization, and of all the volunteers, I'm the only one with DBA experience. I shudder to think of the dangers posed by unskilled folks wandering about the database making changes. I'm helping another volunteer expand her knowledge, but if I were hit by a bus today, there would be no one on staff capable of making back-end fixes. The point of WP and therefore of related plugins is to take the "dangerous" work out of the hands of those without the training. allowing them to run the complex websites reasonably.

More
11 years 6 months ago #24 by ozneilau

marfisk wrote: on the site where you have a 20% drop off, how do the users connect?

The website has been running fine and without issue until I installed Kunena. There aren't many registered users or posts yet and the database issue has happened only a few times but usually results in multiple rogue entries being generated that have to be cleaned up.

Neil.

More
11 years 6 months ago #25 by marfisk
I meant in the forum. That's the only place I've seen this as well. We have reached 1000 posts on our forum and it's only happened 2 times, but I'm a DBA. I don't like applications that introduce data errors to be left to do so :). When I get a moment, I'll troubleshoot this some more, but it's a spare time volunteer thing for me, and right now not much time is spare.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #26 by slayer99199
I'm having the same issue with a new site. In beta testing, I have users posting all over the forums. I'm getting the 42 year topic with no permissions randomly. I end up pruning all the topics in the forum and when users post a new topic, it happens again. It's averaging about 50% of the new topics at this point.

I've gone as far as to reapply the permissions, change the permission types (from Access Level, Community Builder or User Groups) with no luck. Here's what I'm running:

Joomla 2.5.7
Kunena 2.0.2
Community Builder 1.8.1

Here's some additional information using the Joomla Forum Post assistant:

Forum Post Assistant (v1.2.3) : 3rd November 2012 wrote:

Basic Environment :: wrote: Joomla! Instance :: Joomla! 2.5.7-Stable (Ember) 13-September-2012
Joomla! Platform :: Joomla Platform 11.4.0-Stable (Brian Kernighan) 03-Jan-2012
Joomla! Configured :: Yes | Read-Only (444) | Owner: hidden (uid: 1/gid: 1) | Group: hidden (gid: 1) | Valid For: 2.5
Configuration Options :: Offline: 0 | SEF: 1 | SEF Suffix: 0 | SEF ReWrite: 1 | .htaccess/web.config: Yes | GZip: 0 | Cache: 0 | FTP Layer: 0 | SSL: 0 | Error Reporting: default | Site Debug: 0 | Language Debug: 0 | Default Access: 1 | Unicode Slugs: 0 | Database Credentials Present: Yes

Host Configuration :: OS: Linux | OS Version: 2.6.32.59-sg3 | Technology: x86_64 | Web Server: Apache | Encoding: gzip, deflate | Doc Root: /home/hidden/public_html | System TMP Writable: Yes

PHP Configuration :: Version: 5.3.18 | PHP API: cgi-fcgi | Session Path Writable: Unknown | Display Errors: 1 | Error Reporting: 30709 | Log Errors To: php_errorlog | Last Known Error: | Register Globals: | Magic Quotes: 1 | Safe Mode: | Open Base: | Uploads: 1 | Max. Upload Size: 24M | Max. POST Size: 32M | Max. Input Time: 45 | Max. Execution Time: 45 | Memory Limit: 128M

MySQL Configuration :: Version: 5.5.27-28.1-log (Client:5.0.91) | Host: --protected-- (--protected--) | Collation: utf8_general_ci (Character Set: utf8) | Database Size: 3.21 MiB | #of Tables: 152

Detailed Environment :: wrote: PHP Extensions :: Core (5.3.18) | date (5.3.18) | ereg () | libxml () | openssl () | pcre () | sqlite3 (0.7-dev) | zlib (1.1) | bcmath () | bz2 () | calendar () | ctype () | curl () | dba () | dom (20031129) | enchant (1.1.0) | hash (1.0) | fileinfo (1.0.5-dev) | filter (0.11.0) | ftp () | gd () | gettext () | SPL (0.2) | iconv () | session () | intl (1.1.0) | json (1.2.1) | ldap () | mbstring () | mcrypt () | mysql (1.0) | mysqli (0.1) | pcntl () | standard (5.3.18) | PDO (1.0.4dev) | pdo_mysql (1.0.2) | pdo_pgsql (1.0.2) | pdo_sqlite (1.0.1) | pgsql () | Phar (2.0.1) | posix () | pspell () | readline () | Reflection ($Id: 593a0506b01337cfaf9f63ebc12cd60523fc2c41 $) | imap () | shmop () | SimpleXML (0.1) | soap () | sockets () | SQLite (2.0-dev) | exif (1.4 $Id$) | tidy (2.0) | tokenizer (0.1) | wddx () | xml () | xmlreader (0.1) | xmlrpc (0.51) | xmlwriter (0.1) | xsl (0.1) | zip (1.11.0) | cgi-fcgi () | bz2_filter (0.1) | http (1.6.5) | mailparse (2.1.5) | memcache (2.2.5) | stats (1.1) | xattr (1.1.0) | SourceGuardian (8.2) | mhash () | ionCube Loader () | Zend Guard Loader () | Zend Engine (2.3.0) |
Potential Missing Extensions :: suhosin |

Switch User Environment (Experimental) :: PHP CGI: Yes | Server SU: Yes | PHP SU: Yes | Custom SU (LiteSpeed/Cloud/Grid): Yes
Potential Ownership Issues: No

Folder Permissions :: wrote: Core Folders :: images/ (755) | components/ (755) | modules/ (755) | plugins/ (755) | language/ (755) | templates/ (755) | cache/ (755) | logs/ (755) | tmp/ (755) | administrator/components/ (755) | administrator/modules/ (755) | administrator/language/ (755) | administrator/templates/ (755) |

Elevated Permissions (First 10) :: cache/page/ (777) | components/com_jreviews_addons/ (777) | images/uddeimfiles/ (777) |

Extensions Discovered :: wrote: Components :: SITE :: com_mailto (2.5.0) | CB Captcha (1.3) | CB JReviews MyReviews (1.2) | Rating Field (1.2) | Yanc Integration (1.2) | CB Profile Gallery (1.2) | CB Mamblog Tab (1.2) | CB jReviews Favorites (1.2) | CB ProfileBook (1.3) | CB Mambo Author Tab (1.2) | CB jReviews MyListings (1.2) | com_wrapper (2.5.0) |
Components :: ADMIN :: com_cpanel (2.5.0) | Fox Contact Joomla 1.5 (-) | COM_FOXCONTACT (2.0.19) | com_templates (2.5.0) | com_finder (2.5.0) | com_messages (2.5.0) | com_checkin (2.5.0) | com_plugins (2.5.0) | com_admin (2.5.0) | com_s2framework (1.4.12.70) | com_joomlaupdate (2.5.0) | com_installer (2.5.0) | com_cache (2.5.0) | com_media (2.5.0) | com_login (2.5.0) | com_search (2.5.0) | comprofiler (1.9) | comprofiler (1.9) | com_config (2.5.0) | com_categories (2.5.0) | com_redirect (2.5.0) | com_menus (2.5.0) | com_modules (2.5.0) | com_kunena (2.0.2) | Kunena - Joomla Integration (2.0.2) | plg_system_kunena (2.0.2) | System - Kunena Forum (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_comprofiler (2.0.2) | Kunena - CommunityBuilder Inte (2.0.2) | Kunena - JomSocial Integration (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_community (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_kunena (2.0.2) | Kunena - Kunena Integration (2.0.2) | Kunena - AlphaUserPoints Integ (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_alphauserpoints (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_gravatar (2.0.2) | Kunena - Gravatar Integration (2.0.2) | plg_quickicon_kunena (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_joomla (2.0.2) | plg_finder_kunena (2.0.2) | Kunena - UddeIM Integration (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_uddeim (2.0.2) | plg_system_kunena (-) | mod_kunenamenu (2.0.2) | Kunena Menu (2.0.2) | com_weblinks (2.5.0) | com_users (2.5.0) | com_newsfeeds (2.5.0) | COM_FSF (1.9.2.1486) | com_content (2.5.0) | com_banners (2.5.0) | uddeIM (2.8) | com_languages (2.5.0) | com_jreviews (2.3.16.210) |

Modules :: SITE :: CB GroupJive (2.5.3) | mod_login (2.5.0) | mod_breadcrumbs (2.5.0) | CB Workflows (1.9) | CB PB Latest (1.3) | mod_articles_news (2.5.0) | mod_articles_category (2.5.0) | mod_banners (2.5.0) | JReviews Favorite Users Module (2.3) | mod_users_latest (2.5.0) | mod_kunenasearch (2.0.2) | mod_custom (2.5.0) | mod_feed (2.5.0) | mod_finder (2.5.0) | mod_kunenastats (2.0.2) | mod_stats (2.5.0) | mod_menu (2.5.0) | mod_syndicate (2.5.0) | mod_related_items (2.5.0) | uddeIM Mailbox (2.8) | uddeIM Statistics (2.8) | mod_kunenalogin (2.0.2) | mod_articles_latest (2.5.0) | CB Gallery Module (1.2.2) | mod_articles_categories (2.5.0) | mod_languages (2.5.0) | CB Online (1.9) | mod_articles_popular (2.5.0) | mod_wrapper (2.5.0) | Freestyle FAQs: Category Listi (1.9.2.1486) | CB Login (1.9) | mod_weblinks (2.5.0) | mod_search (2.5.0) | mod_random_image (2.5.0) | Fox Contact (2.0.19) | CB Content (1.5) | jReviews Advanced Search Modul (2.3) | JReviews Listings Module (2.3) | mod_articles_archive (2.5.0) | mod_footer (2.5.0) | JReviews Reviews Module (2.3) | JReviews Totals Module (2.3) | JReviews Directories Module (2.3) | mod_whosonline (2.5.0) | JReviews Fields Module (2.3) | JReviews Range Module (2.3) | uddeIM Notifier (2.8) |
Modules :: ADMIN :: mod_login (2.5.0) | mod_title (2.5.0) | mod_submenu (2.5.0) | mod_custom (2.5.0) | mod_feed (2.5.0) | mod_latest (2.5.0) | mod_menu (2.5.0) | Community Builder Admin menu (1.0) | mod_logged (2.5.0) | mod_version (2.5.0) | mod_popular (2.5.0) | mod_toolbar (2.5.0) | mod_quickicon (2.5.0) | mod_status (2.5.0) | mod_multilangstatus (2.5.0) |

Plugins :: SITE :: plg_captcha_recaptcha (2.5.0) | System - SEOSimple (2.1) | plg_system_cache (2.5.0) | plg_system_sef (2.5.0) | plg_system_logout (2.5.0) | Security - jHackGuard (1.3.4) | plg_system_languagecode (2.5.0) | plg_system_p3p (2.5.0) | System - CB Core Redirect (1.0.0) | plg_system_log (2.5.0) | plg_system_kunena (2.0.2) | System - Helix Framework (1.9.4) | plg_system_remember (2.5.0) | plg_system_debug (2.5.0) | plg_system_redirect (2.5.0) | plg_system_languagefilter (2.5.0) | plg_system_highlight (2.5.0) | plg_extension_joomla (2.5.0) | plg_editors_codemirror (1.0) | plg_editors_tinymce (3.5.4.1) | plg_finder_contacts (2.5.0) | plg_finder_weblinks (2.5.0) | plg_finder_content (2.5.0) | plg_finder_categories (2.5.0) | plg_finder_newsfeeds (2.5.0) | plg_editors-xtd_image (2.5.0) | plg_editors-xtd_pagebreak (2.5.0) | plg_editors-xtd_article (2.5.0) | plg_editors-xtd_readmore (2.5.0) | plg_content_kunenadiscuss (2.0.2) | Content - Community Builder Au (1.0.1) | plg_content_vote (2.5.0) | plg_content_pagebreak (2.5.0) | JReviews (2.3.16) | plg_content_pagenavigation (2.5.0) | plg_content_geshi (2.5.0) | plg_content_emailcloak (2.5.0) | plg_content_finder (2.5.0) | plg_content_loadmodule (2.5.0) | uddeIM Content Link (2.8) | plg_content_joomla (2.5.0) | Content - Community Builder (2.1.0) | plg_authentication_ldap (2.5.0) | plg_authentication_gmail (2.5.0) | plg_authentication_joomla (2.5.0) | plg_kunena_comprofiler (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_uddeim (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_gravatar (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_kunena (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_community (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_alphauserpoints (2.0.2) | plg_kunena_joomla (2.0.2) | plg_user_profile (2.5.0) | plg_user_contactcreator (2.5.0) | plg_user_joomla (2.5.0) | plg_quickicon_joomlaupdate (2.5.0) | plg_quickicon_kunena (2.0.2) | plg_quickicon_extensionupdate (2.5.0) | plg_search_contacts (2.5.0) | uddeIM Searchbot (2.8) | plg_search_weblinks (2.5.0) | Search - Community Builder (1.0.1) | plg_search_content (2.5.0) | plg_search_kunena (2.0.2) | Search - Freestyle FAQs (1.9.2.1486) | plg_search_categories (2.5.0) | plg_search_newsfeeds (2.5.0) |

Templates Discovered :: wrote: Templates :: SITE :: beez5 (2.5.0) | siteground-j16-1 (1.0.0) | beez_20 (2.5.0) | atomic (2.5.0) | shaper_zaara (1.0.0) | siteground-j16-3 (1.0.0) | siteground-j16-2 (1.0.0) | Blend_Education (1.6.0) |
Templates :: ADMIN :: hathor (2.5.0) | bluestork (2.5.0) |

I'm going live in December, I like the forum but if I can't get it to work consistently, I'll have to make a change. I appreciate your efforts.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by slayer99199.

More
11 years 5 months ago #27 by slayer99199
Is this issue being addressed elsewhere?

More
11 years 5 months ago #28 by sozzled
The problem lies in your database. You have records where the message timestamp is NULL. You can either (a) choose to ignore the symptoms - if it only affects one or two messages or (b) you can fix the issue by editing the records in the table _kunena_messages.

Does this issue affect every message in your database? :dry:

More
11 years 5 months ago #29 by marfisk
At what point does this get escalated. It's not the number of records affected but that it's a consistent problem across installations. One person experiencing this might be a problem with their database, but offering the product through WordPress which is commonly deployed on a MySQL database backend because of the number of hosting companies offering MySQL as their default database means you can't just assume people will have an Oracle or SQLServer database to work with. It's not enough to say we should change our database, because we may not have the ability to do so. Where in the documentation does it say not compatible with MySQL databases?

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #30 by sozzled
I do not understand the question about problem escalation. To whom would you like this problem escalated?

The problem occurs because MySQL is not a 100% reliable database system - let's face it, it's cheap and nasty - and it's free and different implementations of MySQL are not as reliable as other implementations of it.

The cause of the error is a transactional database corruption. In other words, part of the data that is supposed to be saved in the data was not properly saved. The remedy is to fix the the records in the database.

As far as I can tell (and I am only a mere forum moderator) this issue is not a consistent problem; the problem is intermittent - i.e. it does not happen all the time, every single time- but, I agree, the problem is a continually nagging one. If this problem happened consistently than everyone's forum would be a complete failure (including the one here at www.kunena.org ). If, on the other hand, this problem is occurring consistently, for every database transaction at your website then the first line of escalation is with your webhosting provider, not us.

The K 2.0 Technical Requirements states that K 2.0 requires MySQL.
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds