Blue Eagle (RC3) for K5.1 is released (Today)

Please update the Kunena Blue Eagle to 1.5.0 RC3 if you use Kunena 5.1.
We made several bug fixes and improvements. Also Blue Eagle has now all the features from Crypsis.
Download: www.kunena.org/download/templates/category/blue-eagle-5

× Topics that are moved into this category are generally considered to be closed. Users may want to add additional information but these topics should not be resurrected in order to discuss new problems or unrelated matters.

Question Cannot create discussion in Forum Category: You do not have permission

More
5 years 7 months ago #11 by Ratman

sozzled wrote: Please read the important information regarding the use of J! 1.5 legacy mode . Joomla does not support the use of the System - Legacy plugin and Kunena is not tested on systems that have this plugin enabled. We do not answer questions about problems that people have with unsupported versions of Joomla ("legacy mode" is unsupported).

I understand that. Unfortunately I did not find out yet why I need the legacy plugin to be enabled. If I disable it, my site does not work anymore. Anyway, that is my problem, not yours :)

sozzled wrote: Please also try using the standard Kunena menu if you have problems.

well, Although it does not look like the kunena standard menu, I am using the correctly generated menu items, but I moved them to my topmenu bar. The original kunena menubar is not working well with my site template, the menu items build a vertical stack instead of a horizontal bar. But as I said, I am using the original menu items generated by the kunena setup.

sozzled wrote: You need to choose who has access to your forum: you have defined (in your Kunena plugins) both Community Builder access will be used as well as Joomla access. I suggest you try using Joomla access and set "CB access" to no.

Thank you very much for the hint. I changed the settings according to your suggestion.

sozzled wrote: You have also set your forum to use both CB avatars and Kunena avatars. Choose one or the other. The same for CB login and Joomla login: one or the other, not both.

Thank you, I changed the settings and I am using Community builder avatars only now.

sozzled wrote: I hope that hlps.

well, I think it helps to make my site faster and more stable. Unfortunately it did not help to make my kunena discuss plugin working as expected. Automatic forum entries work, custom entries do not.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #12 by sozzled
When diagnosing any problem I think it's always good to have a known reference point, something that works so that you can compare the problem against. It's like in medicine: we all know that having a headache is not normal. Sometimes the technique involves finding the cause of the problem and sometimes the technique involves treating the symptoms. Obviously if you the cause of a headache is a diseased brain, it's not a simple matter of replacing the incurably sick brain with a health one. :laugh:

However, when we're dealing with software there are simpler and less-invasive ways to treat these "illnesses" if we start with some practical basics.

In the first case, J! 1.5.x with "legacy mode" is sick. We all know it's sick. J! 1.5 legacy mode was never intended to be a long-term solution. It was like taking an aspirin for Joomla; a quick-fix ... not a perfect cure.

It's not that legacy mode itself is inherently bad (although if you do not have extensions that require it, you should not enable the plugin, anyway); the issue here is that J! 1.0 extensions do not always co-operate with J! 1.5 extensions and that is a known fact. J 1.0 became unsupported back in 2009 and if you use J! 1.0 extensions then you accept that you're taking a big risk. The article Legacy mode in the Wiki gives you tips to help identify any "legacy" extensions you may be using. I suggest you identify and remove those things from your site.

Removing your dependence on legacy mode is one of the first steps you should take to put your site on a more reliable, supportable footing. That's what I'm trying to help you to achieve. If you start with a good foundation then there's a stronger likelihood that you will not have the problems that you now have. This is not a guarantee but it's the way that - in my opinion - is one that gives you the best preparation to move forward.

Ultimately, of course, there is the last-resort When all else fails, try this approach. If you can do all you want to do on a "vanilla-flavoured" newly-created Joomla plus Kunena website then you have a reference point against which you can compare your problem site against.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ratman

More
5 years 7 months ago #13 by Ratman
@sozzled: I fully agree with you. I´m working as an IT-Consultant in 2nd and 3rd level support and the words you told me are nearly the same words I tell to my customers when there´s a serious problem. The first thing I do is to check wether the customers PC meets the enterprise standard or not. Our IT-Environment is very complex and we only can support PCs that meet our standard hardware and software environment.

On the other hand: My site is working very well since many years now without any serious problems. Even the kunena discuss plugin worked well over a long time, but it stopped functioning a while ago. I do not know exactly which version worked and which does not.

I do not really know yet why my site needs the legacy plugin, there is not one single component, plugin or module that shows a red icon that would indicate that it needs the legacy plugin. But if I disable the legacy plugin, my site will not work anymore.

But I think it will be useless to further investigate this problem. Joomla 1.5 has reached it´s end of life and it´s time to create a new site based on Joomla 2.5 or 3.0. I think I will start soon to create a "stage" site where I can test if my favorite modules and plugins will work in the new environment and try to pull most of my content over to the new site. And of course: My site would have a kunena forum :) It is the best forum component I ever had!

Thank you very much for your support and for a great piece of software!

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #14 by sozzled
ratman wrote

I do not really know yet why my site needs the legacy plugin, there is not one single component, plugin or module that shows a red icon that would indicate that it needs the legacy plugin. But if I disable the legacy plugin, my site will not work anymore.

The legacy extension detection method shown in the Wiki is not always 100% reliable but if your site does not function without the System - Legacy plugin enabled, it is also 100% guaranteed that there's some old J! 1.0 code on your site that requires the plugin to be enabled. It's also fairly likely that, over time, your site and/or data will become eroded and lose referential integrity as a consequence of not reviewing and properly maintaining the site's software assets.

I would love to know what's causing your permission problem but, as I've written, your site is outside my known reference. If Joomla could not fully guarantee legacy mode, the Kunena project hasn't any hope of offering better counsel. I do not, however, believe that your problem iis exactly the same as the one described in msg #1 of this topic, because of the added legacy mode complications.

Thank you for your words of appreciation. Even though yor problem wasn't solved, it was a pleasant change to read what you wrote. :)
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds