Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

If you are having problems then, for your own benefit, it would save us all a lot of time if you would kindly post your configuration report when you ask for help from this forum. If you do not post your configuration report we will not ask you for it but you will probably not get your problem solved, either.

K 2.0 support will cease on 31 August 2013 and this section of the forum will be closed and archived after that time and no further questions will be answered about this version.

Merged Sometimes users get: "You do not have permissions to access this page"

More
11 years 7 months ago #21 by chrustik

sozzled wrote: First things first. We do not test Kunena on J! 1.5 running with the System - Legacy plugin enabled. Please read Legacy mode . Joomla systems running with legacy mode enabled are not supported by Joomla and they are not supported by us.

Secondly, you have two conflicting menu items. Please restore the original Kunena menu. There are many topics in this forum (and the FAQs page) that explain how to restore your Kunena menu.

Thirdly, if you are having problems with K 2.0.2 and the K 1.7 Blue Eagle template, we advise you to use the K 2.0 Blue Eagle template.

Fourthly, uddeIM 2.1 is out of date. We do not recommend using out-of-date software.

Then I set to default the K 2.0 Blue Eagle the emotions dosnt work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #22 by chrustik

sozzled wrote: First things first. We do not test Kunena on J! 1.5 running with the System - Legacy plugin enabled. Please read Legacy mode . Joomla systems running with legacy mode enabled are not supported by Joomla and they are not supported by us.

Secondly, you have two conflicting menu items. Please restore the original Kunena menu. There are many topics in this forum (and the FAQs page) that explain how to restore your Kunena menu.

Thirdly, if you are having problems with K 2.0.2 and the K 1.7 Blue Eagle template, we advise you to use the K 2.0 Blue Eagle template.

Fourthly, uddeIM 2.1 is out of date. We do not recommend using out-of-date software.

I do everythink you said. Thanks.

More
11 years 7 months ago #23 by sozzled
chrustik: Can you now please show me your updated configuration report please. Your updated configuration report needs to show:

(1) No legacy mode
(2) Standard, unmodified Kunena menu items
(3) K 2.0 Blue Eagle template
(4) uddeIM 2.8

chrustik wrote:

Then I set to default the K 2.0 Blue Eagle the emotions don't work.

The fact that the emoticons do not work is almost certainly caused by a Javascript library conflict. In other words, you have installed other software on your website that clobbers Joomla Mootools Javascript. This problem is a different problem. This is discussed in Before you post your question, read this first .

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #24 by Maszek
Hi Sozzled,

I am glad that you are helping Chrustik, but you have readirected me to this topic and now you only seem to deal with Chrustik's issue. Or am i mistaken?
Please take a look at the post where I submitted all the information you've asked for, to diagnose my problem.

Looking forward to your suggestions,

Maszek
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Maszek.

More
11 years 7 months ago #25 by sozzled

Maszek wrote: The solutions you suggest above are concerning Chrustik's request, right?

Yes and no.

Yes, my recommendations earlier were addressed directly to chrustik but all of the recommendations I have written in this topic may apply equally to everyone.

The possible reasons why people receive the error message "you do not have permissions to access this page" are many. Before we can even begin to understand the infinite possible different unique situations that every site administrator may be using on their websites, we try to start with a few simple basics.

We know that, in 95% of cases, the simplest system works!

When people have made a dozen or more changes at the one time (and we don't know anything about any of those changes) and then they start having problems, it's very easy to say "help me because I do not know what I did but my system doesn't work the way it's supposed to work."

So let's start with why people get "you do not have permissions to access this page":

(1) If you have defined a category where other people are not allowed to access topics in that category then people will get the message. Here is an example on this website that will give you that error message: >>> click here <<<

(I do not get the message "you do not have permissions to access this page" because I have access to the topics in the category.)

(2) If you are using unusual URL redirection (including customised changes to your .htaccess file) or if Joomla menu items are not properly configured or conflict with one another.

(3) If you are not using software designed for K 2.0., developed, supported or maintained by the Kunena Project. If people are experiencing problems using the K 1.7 Blue Eagle template with K 2.0.2 then people should first try using the K 2.0 Blue Eagle template.

(4) If you have any problems that you cannot seem to resolve by other means, first try resetting your Kunena configuration back to the original default values. In the same way, try resetting your category back to the same permissions used with the "Welcome Mat" category that was originally installed with Kunena.

(5) If you have changed anything to do with Joomla ACL.

In the case you described for us, Maszek, I would make the following suggestion:

Change Primary Includes Child Groups to Yes. Your category configuration says, in effect, "The only people who can access this category are people who have not logged in. As soon as you login, you cannot access the category."

Change Secondary User Group to Manager and change Secondary Includes Child Groups to Yes. Your category configuration says, in effect, "If you cannot access this page using the primary access method then nobody can access this category."

Please read Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 1) and Sections, Categories, sub-Categories (Part 2) - advanced setup for special groups .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maszek

More
11 years 7 months ago #26 by Maszek
Thank you, Sozzled, for dedicating so much time to this.

I set the permissions to the groups as you mentioned--assuming that by 'manager' you meant 'administrator'. (I know that this may seem redundant but it is my experience that in 72% of the cases technical issues do not get solved because of inconsistent use of terminology).

[IMG

Alas, it did not change the access to the page . (I kind of expected this, since i am the owner (administrator and moderator) of the forum. Aren't i right to assume that no-one could deny me access to any topic or thread?)

The issue I encountered started occurring after I migrated to Kunena 2.0. In fact, the post was accessible in K1.5, it disappeared entirely in 1.7 and it resurfaced in 2.0 - though crippled. Some other posts resurfaced in K2.0 as well--those I was able to restore.

I also noticed the following: the User who created the topic is not visible and the time stamp is missing.
[IMG

Could this provide any clue?

More
11 years 7 months ago #27 by sozzled
I can dedicate all the hours in the world to this issue if you would like to contact me and offer to pay me for my time. :)

By "Manager" I meant exactly that - perhaps "Beheeder"?

If the problems originally surfaced in K 1.7 (which is about the time when these new category permission options came into effect) then I would say you need to look at all categories to see what you've done differently,

Again, let me point you to the standard reference point. The permissions used for the section and category that is installed for you when you first install Kunena has everything necessary for you to access topics in that category and not get "you do not have permissions to access this page" messages. As soon as you start changing permissions anywhere you risk the increased likelihood that you will encounter access problems.

Maszek wrote:

Alas, it did not change the access to the page. (I kind of expected this, since i am the owner (administrator and moderator) of the forum. Aren't I right to assume that no-one could deny me access to any topic or thread?)

I cannot access this page, either, and I am certainly not the administrator and moderator of that forum. I am not even a registered user at that forum.

Maszek wrote:

I also noticed the following: the User who created the topic is not visible and the time stamp is missing.

In what way, specifically, is this issue related to "you do not have permissions to access this page" messages? If this is not related to this topic, please to not go off-topic. The problem is difficult enough to solve without adding extra confusion. Thank you.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #28 by Maszek

I can dedicate all the hours in the world to this issue if you would like to contact me and offer to pay me for my time. :)

I wouldn't mind offering you a remuneration if we can agree on it, but you're "just a user, mate". Am I talking to the person with the appropriate knowledge for this issue?

By "Manager" I meant exactly that - perhaps "Beheeder"?

Clarified!

If the problems originally surfaced in K 1.7 (which is about the time when these new category permission options came into effect) then I would say you need to look at all categories to see what you've done differently,

I did not do anything differently, most topics migrated without a problem, some offered the option to "restore", this one does not allow me to do anything at all.

Again, let me point you to the standard reference point. The permissions used for the section and category that is installed for you when you first install Kunena has everything necessary for you to access topics in that category and not get "you do not have permissions to access this page" messages. As soon as you start changing permissions anywhere you risk the increased likelihood that you will encounter access problems.

I did not change permissions since the first installation. The only changes to permissions I made were the ones encouraged by you today.

Maszek wrote:

Alas, it did not change the access to the page. (I kind of expected this, since i am the owner (administrator and moderator) of the forum. Aren't I right to assume that no-one could deny me access to any topic or thread?)

I cannot access this page, either, and I am certainly not the administrator and moderator of that forum. I am not even a registered user at that forum.

Speaking of sidetracks... ;-)

Maszek wrote:

In what way, specifically, is this issue related to "you do not have permissions to access this page" messages? If this is not related to this topic, please to not go off-topic. The problem is difficult enough to solve without adding extra confusion. Thank you.

I don't know Sozzled, you tell me... I am just another user and was hoping to point out something that might solve the issue. Up to know, I feel entangled in a lot of theory and very little fact-finding.
Apart from that, I'm having a ball!

Looking forward to your suggestions,

Maszek
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Maszek.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #29 by sozzled
:cheer: I, too, enjoy these meaningful discussions. Although I am just a user trying to help other users with their problems, when you consider that I've been using Kunena for 4 years or so, have written "a few" messages in this forum and I have [almost] daily discussions with others on the Kunena project team, I may have picked up one or two extra skills that qualifies me to offer my help in a more professional way. If you doubt my credentials - and I'm sure you don't doubt them - look at my profile on the team page. ;)

The reason why we do not have these kinds of issues as a common occurrence is because of the general approach to keep things simple. I am a firm believer in the KISS Principle . Keep to the basics:

* a standard Joomla installation
* a reliable webhost
* recommended security settings
* up-to-date software
* recommended configuration settings
* make sure it works before you change anything
* test it again after you change something

As I wrote before, in 95% of cases, Kunena will work without making any changes at all. As soon as you make one change, you change the whole environmental dynamic.

Perhaps you made more than one change without realising what other changes you have made? Perhaps the problem that we're discussing is caused by other factors not yet know to us?

Most of the time, general problems like these can be solved using a general [theoretical] approach. Sometimes unique problems require unique solutions. Depending on the urgency, the desirability or the need, sometimes there are additional costs.

(1) You could change all sections and categories in your forum to use the same permission settings;
(2) You could simply create a whole new section and category exactly like the Welcome Mat category and see if this works.
(3) You wrote that you, as the site administrator, cannot access certain topics. Can a "normal" registered user access these topics? Does the problem only affect you or does it affect all administrator accounts?
(4) How many categories are affected like this? Is it just the one or are there many?
(5) Have you published the affected category?

There are many more questions I could ask. At the moment it's a bit like hunting for a needle in a haystack. A professional should be able to pinpoint the exact cause fairly quickly if they are able to work directly with you on the case. You may write to me using the email address on the team page but I should mention that (a) I need to be able to talk with you, in English, on Skype (b) I require 2 hours payment up-front - regardless of whether or not we find a solution - before I begin to work on these kinds of problems and (c) my fee is based on standard consultant's rates (which means I'm not cheap!) ;)

I should mention, too, that if you find any cases of "you do not have permissions to access this page" on this website here, at www.kunena.org , I can probably tell you in less than 1 minute exactly why that is the case! ;) We like to keep things simple at www.kunena.org and that is why this site uses a very standard installation of Joomla and Kunena. B)
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 7 months ago #30 by Maszek
Hi Sozzled,

In order to keep things simple at Kunena, I suggest you get rid of 85% of the Forum options in the back end. The number of permutations from possible combinations of tweaks and settings is so large, that an administrator drowns in them and the way I see it, the Kunena community does too.

Solving this particular problem is not worth more than USD 15.- to me. Considering the amount of time I've already spent on it without result, I am already through my (time)budget.

Thank you again for paying attention to this issue.

Time to create page: 0.428 seconds