Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Merged WYSIWYG editor for Kunena: How to allow HTML tags?

More
12 years 11 months ago #91 by Eranda
How can we copy and paste html web page contents directly to kunena ?

So we don't need to make them [urls=] [/url] / [img=] [/img] manually. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #92 by Eranda

Eranda wrote: How can we copy and paste html web page contents directly to kunena ?

So we don't need to make them [urls=] [/url] / [img=] [/img] manually. :)

Ohhh..That means we can't do this and save user's time?? If we can do this users will post more posts :(

Any alternative ways to do this ? :(

More
12 years 10 months ago #93 by MatthewSchenker
Hello,
I'm new to Kunena. Well, at least as far as building it into client sites. I've used it in many Joomla sites as a visitor.

I'm amazed that there is no WYSIWYG editor for Kunena. For site development, I don't use a WYSIWYG editor, but for non-technical visitors to user forums, people generally expect one.

Is there any way to make one work in Kunena?

Thanks,
Matthew

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #94 by LarsAgerstrand
The general user is not a hacker, is there no way to get a WYSIWYG-editor to kunena?

The editor now is horrible for most people.

/ Lars
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by LarsAgerstrand.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #95 by sozzled

LarsAgerstrand wrote: The editor now is horrible for most people.

That's an opinion. The fact is that uncontrolled WYSIWYG editing usually means that HTML is stored in forum messages and, as we all know, when you allow people to enter HTML you create a security hole that allows cyber-terrorists to do untold havoc on your site. Most web-based forums do not allow HTML; that's also a fact.

It is hoped - but there is no guarantee - that a future version of Kunena will allow some kind of WYSIWYG editing feature. This feature is still some distance away. We ask people to be patient.

If people really would like WYSIWYG editing as the number one priority, and they're prepared to pay for this feature to be developed as that number one priority, the development team would be grateful if you would like to donate to the Kunena project to make this happen sooner rather than later. :)
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #96 by sozzled
This topic is a discussion about how it might be possible to implement WYSIWYG editing in Kunena. I suggest we try to stay on that topic and not broaden the issue into the other areas (like AJAX, "layout" and a comparison with other forums) that you've mentioned.

Fair enough. We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. I'm trying to steer a fairly moderate course between the two extremes: on the one hand, the unrestricted use of HTML in a web-based discussion forum is an undeniable security risk; on the other hand, being lumbered with an inflexible BBcode-driven legacy from the old "bulletin board" days requires a small learning curve for novices. There's a happy medium, I hope, somewhere in between.

I also think that you've overlooked a key difference between Kunena and other commercial forum software that charge you for their use. Kunena is developed by volunteers who have freely given their time so that you can have this forum product for free.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 4 months ago #97 by N6REJ
I don't see how pure html can do anything negative. It has zero scripting ability. afaik its when you add all the xhtml that things start to be able to happen

More
12 years 4 months ago #98 by sozzled
This discussion is resurrected every few months, gets a bit of a work-over about the risks of HTML (and there's no consensus of opinion there) and generally, whenever the mention of asking for money is concerned, the topic dies down. I can only advise people what I have written before:

I don't want to dampen people's hopes but I would like to say that K 2.0 is expected to greatly improve the way that message editing is implemented, not just in Kunena but in other Joomla extensions, too. The general plan is outlined in docs.kunena.org/index.php/Kunena:About#K_2.0

More
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #99 by sozzled

monkeyman wrote: I didn't see in all that "will greatly improve the way" and the whole doc a single word about "nice and simple post writing/editing". Guess, others don't see it either - this is why the question stays on.

The text used in the plan may not have said "nice and simple post writing/editing" but the strategic goal is an important one:

3. Separation of the BBcode into a self-contained library that can be easily extended and used in other Joomla extensions.

What we have to understand is that, up to now, the BBcode editor/parser has been a tightly-coupled function of Kunena. By separating this function and enabling a BBcode parser to exist independently of Kunena (and be usable in other Joomla extensions), this creates the possibility of using other editors with Kunena - possibly even WYSIWYG ones - but I'm not making any promises here because I'm not a developer and I'm not fully au fait with the details of K 2.0 at this time.
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by sozzled.

More
12 years 4 months ago #100 by sozzled
I've actually written several fully-functioning WYSIWYG editors over the last 15 years and they're not too difficult to do; most of the work is done with Javascript and turning your browser on its head (from read-only into read-write) but there are a few technical fiddles to ensure your WYSIWYG editor is cross-browser compatible and that the Javascript library does not conflict with (or is clobbered by) other Javascript libraries. And, of course, we know that's never going to happen, don't we? :whistle:

Another issue is how you handle storing and retrieving the forum messages (not to mention that your database if going to grow by an unquantifiable extra factor depending on how much people use this few feature) but those are small matters of detail that are outside the scope of this discussion.

Time to create page: 0.589 seconds