Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Merged WYSIWYG editor for Kunena: How to allow HTML tags?

More
11 years 6 months ago #151 by TheZoker
Replied by TheZoker on topic WYSIWYG Editor for Kunena
But the thing I dont understand:

As Balázs already said in the topic:

But why would you develop a new one for thousands of dollars, when you can simply implement a TinyMCE or any other Joomla editor? I never understood this developer behaviour. Kunena is a Joomla extension, and so, it can use the features of Joomla.

You dont have to create a complete new WYSIWYG Editor, but can use a existing Editor like JCE or TinyMCE.

In these editor are a few years of development and the only thing you need to do is, to implement on of these brilliant editors to kunena.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #152 by sozzled
It doesn't matter what people who are not part of the Kunena project team (like Balázs) may believe or may have written. If it was as easy to do as people have suggested in the past 3½ years then I think this subject would have been resolved a long time ago, don't you?

Kunena is an open-source software product. If someone knows how to make this WYSIWYG-style editor happen then we welcome those people to join the Kunena project and make it happen. It's easy to write "implement these brilliant ideas"; it's another thing to actually find the time to make that so. ;)

I hope what I have written may help you to understand the issues more clearly now. :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #153 by N6REJ
Actually sozzled I think that was kinda disrespectful reply on your part.
it is relatively easy to use the Joomla editors in a component... whats the issue here is, Kunena demands it be a bbcode native editor, and THAT is harder. While there are bbcode wysiwyg editors I don't think the integration is smooth like a native J! editor is. Therein lies the rub.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #154 by sozzled
I was not being disrespectful (that is not in my nature). If this was as easy as people claim it was, then it would be easy for anyone to do this. It's easy to assert that the integration is easy; it's easy to lay the responsibility to do the job at the feet of the Kunena project. But people need to remember that the Kunena project team members have real lives and many commitments outside the work of developing the project. Kunena is open source software; that means that anyone can assist the project by coding the necessary parts that improve the overall functionality of the product.

The only thing we've heard from people who want this WYSIWYG-style editor is "Hey, guys, fix the problem!" Well, you have seen the whole discussion on this subject and what have we achieved from 3½ years of continual badgering of the project team members?

If this is as easy to do as people claim that it can be done then how about people make a constructive effort to get the job done instead of complaining why it has not been done. This is not "easy" for the Kunena project team to do within the limits of the amount of time that is available in people's lives or the budget to employ others who could do the job. This is a community effort and that means that the community needs to get behind the effort.

What do you think it's worth, to you, to make this effort? I think that's the key question that has not been answered.

I mean no disrespect to anyone in the community but this discussion is going nowhere without the constructive help that we're going to need to make a difference.

This topic points out that there are difficulties in using a "native" Joomla editor for the simple fact that to do so exposes the risk of contaminating your site with malicious material. Furthermore, native WYSIWYG-style editors do not provide as much flexibility as BBcode editors. If that were the case then BBcode forums like phpBB, SMF, vBulletin and the like would have been dead-in-the-water years ago. Integration of a "native" (or even a third-party editor) is relatively straightforward. Ensuring that this facility does not create a constant hazard , risk of site contamination and, at the same time, include other features like spoilers, maps, auto-insertion of Joomla articles - and how would you markup the configuration report? - these are not so easy to do.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 5 months ago #155 by Balázs
Sozzled, I don’t know if you have written any lines in Kunena, or you are just a guy who talks in the name of the developers to judge the comments. But anyone, who have already developed one or two plugins by themselves knows the guides of Joomla, and they are made exactly to make things easier when implementing, so you don’t have to write everything from zero. Your component is just getting bigger by that. By the way, I don’t remember asking when it will be ready, insead I have given advices many times, because I think the current development metodology for Joomla extensions is below any critics. But feel free to ask a Joomla developer about the things I said.
I am more and more sure it would be better to develop the next generation of Kunena from the start, fully following the way of Joomla MVC and using the following things:

- Joomla registration
- Joomla profile and user management
- Joomla category management
- Joomla search engine
- Joomla recaptcha
- Jooma editors

This is what I think would be a step forward in development. We would have an extension with clean code, lesser size and more user friendly interface. I think this is what would worth the effort and money.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #156 by chris_z
I would like to be able to have administrators use some special keywords to insert HTML into their posts. I have a rudimentary plugin working that uses the onKunenaPrepare event and checks for a context of kunena.messages and also checks that a post is authored by an administrator so not just anybody can insert HTML.

The problem I am having is that the inserted HTML is not rendered but the HTML itself is dispayed. All < and > are replaced with & lt; and & gt;. How can I render the HTML inside a post without hacking Kunena?

This is for Kunena 2.0
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by chris_z.

More
11 years 2 months ago #157 by sozzled

chris_z wrote: How can I render the HTML inside a post without hacking Kunena?

You cannot, Unless you hack the source or write your own plugin, you cannot.

More
11 years 2 months ago #158 by chris_z

sozzled wrote:

chris_z wrote: How can I render the HTML inside a post without hacking Kunena?

You cannot, Unless you hack the source or write your own plugin, you cannot.

Indeed. I am writing my own plugin and I am asking for advice on what function call or technique to use to allow HTML to be inserted. That is why I posted in the Forum > Community self help > Customising Kunena >User-written Plugins section before somebody moved my post here.

Here is the code I have so far:
Code:
public function onKunenaPrepare($context, &$item, &$params, $page = 0) { if ($context == 'kunena.messages') { for ($i = 0; $i < count($item); $i++) { if (JAccess::check($item[$i]->userid, 'core.admin')) { $item[$i]->message = str_replace('SPECIALTAG', '<h1>Here is some <em>HTML</em></h1>', $item[$i]->message); } } } }

However, when I actually put SPECIALTAG in an administrator's post, the HTML is not rendered. I literally get the following as output to the web browser:

<h1>Here is some <em>HTML</em></h1>

I am asking other programmers familiar with Kunena if there is a way to keep the HTML tags from being converted to have & gt; and & lt;

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #159 by sozzled

chris_z wrote: How can I render the HTML inside a post without hacking Kunena

This was your earlier message. The answer to this question is that you cannot do this without (a) hacking or (b) writing a plugin.

Because you did not indicate that you were in the process of writing a plugin, I thought you were asking "how can I do this without hacking Kunena?" (and that is why I merged your topic here).

If you are considering writing a plugin, that is great to hear. I am sure that there will be a lot of people interested in following your progress.

The Kunena team considered the effort involved in similarly writing a plugin but, because no-one was willing to pay the development costs to build it, the idea was shelved. We estimated that it would probably take one person about one week to do this job (if that person did nothing else) and it could be useful as something that people may want to buy as an add-on for Kunena. Please bear in mind that the K 2.0 is at end-of-life and that there will be no further enhancements made by the Kunena team to K 2.0 as the team focuses its energy on building K 3.0. You may want to consider this in your plans.

Thank you for your input and ideas. We wish you every success. As the team is fully committed to the development of K 3.0, however, I would not expect that there will be a significant amount of feedback on the forum from the team in relation to what you are trying to do. But we sincerely wish you the very best and we look forward to hearing more about your success in the User-Written Plugins category. :)
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 2 months ago #160 by GJSchaller
A client of mine is looking for a WYSIWYG editor that will allow him to compose a message easily using WYSIWYG, and then copy & paste the BBcode into Kunena.

I've googled around for one, but the top hits all point to www.ecardmax.com/hoteditor/ which seems to have some bugs in it, and the Ordered Lists code is not the same as Kunena's code.

Anyone seen one I can point to?

Geoffrey Schaller
Technical Officer
Knight Realms

Time to create page: 0.620 seconds