Kunena 6.2.6 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.2.6 [K 6.2.6] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.1 / K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.2

This category is for general discussion about the Kunena Project or this website.

Please use other categories for questions about problems that you may be having with your website.

Merged WYSIWYG editor for Kunena: How to allow HTML tags?

More
11 years 6 months ago #141 by sozzled
G'day, Sheppard, and welcome to Kunena.

Your dilemma has been argued, debated and discussed many times in this topic into which I have merged your post. I am sure that you will find this topic very valuable background reading in arriving at your decision. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheppard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #142 by Sheppard
Hey,
thank you for your response.

The last concrete answer is 4 months old now. It says after the release of K2.0 it will take about 2 months to get a WYSIWYG Editor out, if the Kunena-Team decides to implement one.

So, if my calculator is right, a WYSIWYG-Editor will be released as paid-version in the next view days :)

Haha, ok, seriously. How high on the priority list is a WYSIWYG-Editor today. Are there any plans and is there a time frame, or will it be like waiting for “Duke Nukem Forever” ;)
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Sheppard.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #143 by sozzled
Your assumption is unfounded.

We wanted to improve the message editor. There were no funds available to achieve this target in the timeframe. I do not know when or if this objective will be met. The Kunena project is starved of funds to make this "ideal" objective a reality. Any "promises" made several months ago have been overtaken by other events. The Kunena project, starved of funds, can only attend to matters of bug-fixing and readying the component so that it's compatible with J! 3.0. While it would be lovely to enhance Kunena's functionality and feature set, this is not achievable within current budgetary constraints. I am sure that you understand that, given the open-source, community-driven nature of this project and the fact that we are not yet ready to deploy a "paid" version at this time - a version that will have additional functionality - this is the reality that we current face.

If people would like to help the project there are many ways to do this. Those who have PHP programming expertise can join the project on Github . Donations are always welcome. Financed requests for sponsored work can be fitted in, too. There is much work that needs to be done in the areas of documentation, assisting with attending to user's requests for help and general work around the forum, too.

Please remember that there is no company behind Kunena; everyone who contributes to Kunena is a hobbyist, enthusiast or professional web developer who gives their time freely to this project - volunteers every one of us. Our hope is to make Kunena the most reliable, scalable, durable and robust forum component for Joomla that we can make it and to give people the best solution to meeting their forum needs. The forum is a self-help community-driven resource for users to help one another. Our job, in moderating the forum, is not necessarily to answer every question but, rather, to point people in the right direction where they can find the answers.

Last of all, Kunena is free. Freely available and free of charges - the source code is all there and you can modify it to your heart's content. That's the way we want it to remain but there are limits to what can be achieved under these current arrangements.

WYSiWYG editing is not the highest priority: fixing current software errors is topmost and, given the pressures of the Joomla community with the availability of J! 3.0, people will have expectations for a K 3.0 (J! 3.0-compatible version) before anything else.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheppard

More
11 years 6 months ago #144 by Sheppard
No offense intended.
I couldn’t point out enough the amazing work you do on kunena in your free time, and I am under no illusion that fixed promises can be hardly done.

Of coure I can’t estimate how much work it would be to include an existing editor or building up a new one.

On the other side when I read here ( www.kunena.org/forum/159-K-17-Common-Que...ysiwyg-editor#121315 ) that adding an editor is very easy, or here ( www.kunena.org/forum/77-General-Talk-abo...ags?start=110#125223 ) that the parser has no problems with HTML-content anymore, it looks for me that it wouldn’t be such a big deal.

It’s a topic since 3 years now, and after Joomla 3.0 is before Joomla 3.5, so I don’t see light at the end of the tunnel. That's not criticism, but it’s a shame for me, because the editor is the only weakness I can notice.
But for my community it’s a no-go, and so l have to find a solution – and changing the platform seems to be the only one in appropriate time. But I hope I will be able to change back some day :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #145 by sozzled
We sympathise with you but, of course, sympathy is small compensation for a lack of progress or an iron-clad commitment to make good on an indication that something will happen. I do not know how difficult or easy it is to develop, build, test and implement a WYSIWYG editor - I am not a developer. I have written WYSIWYG editors in my time (using Javascript/ASP) but I am under no illusion that this activity is as easy as some people may have suggested. Perhaps it is easy; I simply do not know the answer.

What we know as a fact is that this forum is very busy. The lack of a WYSIWYG editor has not slowed the number of messages that appear hear. The existence of a WYSIWYG editor, neither, would enhance or improve the volume or quality of messages on this forum. Indeed, I am one of the few people who use bolding, italicising, underlining or other "fancy" techniques. I conclude from this that having a WYSIWYG editor would probably be underutilised on most forums.

We understand that for many people having a WYSIWYG editor is important. There is a difference between important and necessary and there's an even bigger difference between importance and urgency. If this requirement was as important and urgent as many people have claimed over the past nearly 4 years then we would have seen donations pouring in from all quarters to make this idea come to fruition. Instead, we have no sponsorship, no funds to complete the activity, no incentive other than our desire to make Kunena the best possible web-based discussion forum component for Joomla that we can make it (within the constraints of our time, energy and budget).

We hope too that some day this idea will be realised. In the meantime, we live in hope that things will change.

Changing platform may be a solution but I don't know what alternative platforms exist that will give your community the ability to flourish in a WYSIWYG-driven environment. I would be very keen to hear from you what Joomla alternatives you may be considering that give you this power combined with the flexibility that you get for free from Kunena.

More
11 years 6 months ago #146 by Sheppard
Indeed, most users don’t use BBCode intensively.
I don’t think there is a correlation between amount of content and the existence of an editor – look at Facebook.

But if your community is based on high quality content (like user reviews, etc.), text formatting with BBCode is a pain.

I use JomSocial on my side, and so it’s really hard to find a forum that integrates well with it. But with the forum being the heart of the community it’s also not acceptable to make compromise on this point.

Kunena is very close to the quality of a Stand-Alone-Forum, and I don’t think there is a Joomla-Extension that will solve my problem.

Long time ago I worked with SimpleMachinesForum. Thanks to the great bridge I was able to connect the forum with the Community-Builder and the PMS-component (and there was an WYSIWYG-Editor too). But the project seems to be dead now.

Of course I could use a Stand-Alone-Forum. Synchronization of the user-database isn’t a big deal anymore. And I’m good enough in editing the template to make it look identical. The problem starts with the integration of JomSocial/Community-Builder …

If there would be a KickStart-Project for a WYSIWYG editor, that would be me:

I like the principle of club membership, and so I'm member in many joomla-clubs.

But building up websites as a hobby too, I wouldn’t pay someone to do my work.

What I like is supporting developers with some money, and I think crowdfunding works very well.
On the other side I want to see something like a project schedule or being able to influence the direction of development a little bit if I support a project.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #147 by sozzled
We've decided to take on-board the suggestion that, if the community is willing to sponsor the development of a WYSIWYG-style editor for Kunena, if the absence of this feature is the tipping-point that prevents people adopting Kunena for their web-based discussion forum needs, then, why not? So, with the community's support, we'd like to give this a go.

See A WYSIWYG-style editor for Kunena . Let's gauge community opinion and, once and for all, let's see what we can do to get this matter sorted.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by sozzled.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #148 by Balázs
I didn’t read all the posts, because probably they don’t worth it.
Kunena could use a more modern editor, I can only agree with that. But why would you develop a new one for thousands of dollars , when you can simply implement a TinyMCE or any other Joomla editor? I never understood this developer behaviour. Kunena is a Joomla extension, and so, it can use the features of Joomla. For example: editor, captcha, category management, user management. Instead, the development team treats it like a CMS completely different from Joomla, like you had to develop everything yourself. This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I’m sure of one thing: Kunena’s development team chose the worst way to develop a Joomla extension.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Balázs.

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #149 by TheZoker
Replied by TheZoker on topic WYSIWYG Editor for Kunena
Hi all,

How do you think about a WYSIWYG Editor for Kunena?

There are still some very good editors like TinyMCE or CKEditor...

It makes the board much more user-friendly for the user.

Are there any plans to integrate something like that in kunena?

Thankx
TheZoker
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by TheZoker.

More
11 years 6 months ago #150 by 810

Time to create page: 0.462 seconds