Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Idea Update about upcoming changes

More
8 years 7 months ago #11 by sozzled

ruud wrote:

sozzled wrote: 2) The article makes the point that autosubscribe will only be "allowed for B2B". How will K 5.0 ensure that websites where autosubcribe is implemented are used only for B2B purposes to ensure its legality ?

How do eg car manufacturers ensure that their cars are not used as getaway cars in a bank robbery?

That is an unfair analogy.

A better comparison would be, "How does Microsoft ensure that a person using the Windows operating system have the legal right to obtain updates?"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #12 by ruud
Replied by ruud on topic Update about upcoming changes
I think (but I am not a legal expert) that a must is to notify.
I once was involved in a project to disclose ones workplace via the internet. Legal department told us to create a notice on the web page ("Unauthorised access, or usage of this computer system in breach of internal policies, is prohibited and may result in legal or disciplinary action being taken against you").
Without that notice is was 'legal' to try to hack your way into the system: nobody told you that you where doing illegal things....

sharing = caring

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #13 by sozzled
I do not have the interest to debate this matter here. I have already put my case forward in other places and, if people don't care, that's their problem. At the end of the day it will only require one complaint put to the authorities and the Kunena developers may find themselves in more trouble than they bargained for.

Yes, it's one thing to put a warning on merchandise and say "stay out of here if you are not qualified to modify the product" and it's an entirely different matter if the merchandise does not have tamper-proof safeguards to prevent its possible misuse.

In my opinion, a "warning" is not a safeguard against potential misuse.

Returning to the "car" analogy, most vehicles used in crimes are stolen. It is a requirement, these days, for motor vehicle manufacturers to equip cars with engine immobilisers. However much we play games with analogies, the fact remains that from just about any way you look at this, freely placing the means to illegally invade peoples' privacy with web software makes the author of that software an accessory to the illegal misuse of that software.

By the way, although we're not discussing "hacking"', one doesn't have to have a notice placed somewhere to say that it's illegal to hack into a website. "Hacking" (in this sense) is illegal anyway and most countries have anti-hacking laws. So, no, it's not a case of "it's not illegal because no-one said otherwise." It's illegal because the law says it's illegal.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by sozzled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh

More
8 years 7 months ago #14 by 810
Replied by 810 on topic Update about upcoming changes
We are also going to deprecated Php 5.4

So you need to Update Php

min : 5.5..
Req : 5.6

See: php.net/supported-versions.php
The following user(s) said Thank You: ssnobben

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #15 by sozzled

810 wrote: We are also going to deprecated Php 5.4

So you need to Update Php

min : 5.5..
Req : 5.6

See: php.net/supported-versions.php

I think that's a step too far. Even Joomla's own technical requirements are only PHP 5.3.31 (although they recommend PHP 5.4, or higher).

Just because the PHP website says that PHP 5.4 is no longer officially supported (or that PHP 5.3 "died" on 14 August 2014 ) does not negate the need for continued support for those who may require additional time for their webhosting providers to catch up. :whistle: Have a look at the configuration reports provided by your users to see what version of PHP they are currently using and use that as a determining factor in deciding what minimum version of PHP should be used rather than what version is "supported" by PHP.net .

I would suggest that the primary factor, in choosing the minimum versions of server operating system software to operate one's website, is whatever is needed in order to run Joomla. For example, some years ago my webhosting provider at the time was not using the minimum operating system software (I can't remember if it was PHP mySQL or something else) required for whatever was going to be next major release of Joomla. Because Joomla was moving forward—and I wanted to maintain my involvement with Joomla—I changed webhosting providers in order to remain up-to-date. My forum needs were a secondary consideration. The changeover involved a few hundred dollars but it was worth it because Joomla has gone from strength to strength. B)

If K 5.0 will require PHP 5.5 then I hope you will still be providing support for K 4.0 for a long time. In my own case, I am running PHP 5.4.41. I would also suggest that if you abandon K 4.0 (within one month of releasing K 5.0, as you indicated in your article) you will lose the majority of people from this community. I, for one, will not be upgrading to K 5.0—I will not even be able to test it—if PHP 5.5/6 is required in order to run it. :angry:
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by sozzled.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #16 by sozzled
See my earlier post in this topic above.

As a suggestion, instead of making the decision that K 5.0 will require PHP 5.5 now, how about running a community survey to gauge community support? You can make the case for PHP 5.5—and why you believe it's needed for Kunena to move forward—in a new topic and ask people to vote for the following proposition and allow peoople to respond accordingly:

What should be the minimum version of PHP for K 5.0?

1. PHP 5.3.31 (the minimum version required for J! 3.4)
  2. PHP 5.4.31 (as recommended for K 3.0/K 4.0)
  3. PHP 5.5 (currently supported by PHP.net)
  4. PHP 5.6 (the latest version supported by PHP.net)

Alternatively, if people wish, they can use the Thank You feature here to show their agreement with what I have written (or how you may choose to respond) or they can reply to this topic.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by sozzled. Reason: include link to community surveys category

More
8 years 7 months ago #17 by ssh
Replied by ssh on topic Update about upcoming changes
I vote for: "keep moving forward"

As an alternative solution for the problem explained by sozzled
I think Kunena team can also provide a hosting solution exclusive for websites running kunena for a competitive price (Of course, You can count with me if you want to develop this project)

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #18 by ShockPuppet
thank You Kunena Team for all your hard work.

Why the change to minimum PHP 5.5 ?

We set up a website end of last year through Godaddy which auto set up PHP 5.4 (Native) and its going to cause headaches I assume for many people. For godaddy users, a straight switch in the cpanel from 5.4 native to 5.5 will cause error 500 (i know, it happened to me). I had to work out what extentions i was using with native and enable them for the upgrade but its beyond a lot of casual users to do so and they may need some additional support if new kunena means new php... where will that support come from?
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by ShockPuppet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sozzled

More
8 years 7 months ago #19 by xillibit

ShockPuppet wrote: thank You Kunena Team for all your hard work.

Why the change to minimum PHP 5.5 ?

We are going to have minimum as Php 5.5 but we haven't said that it will be in Kunena 5.0, we are following developpement of Joomla! 3.5 and if the technical requiements change with this version, Kunena will change too else it will not change. So the mimimun of Php 5.5 could be in Kunena 5.1, or 5.2....

I don't provide support by PM, because this can be useful for someone else.

More
8 years 7 months ago #20 by ruud
Replied by ruud on topic Update about upcoming changes

xillibit wrote: ...we are following developpement of Joomla! 3.5 and if the technical requiements change with this version, Kunena will change too else it will not change. So the mimimun of Php 5.5 could be in Kunena 5.1, or 5.2....

Good call (my opinion), Kunena is not the only component on Joomla websites so changing PHP for Kunena can lead to problems with other components.
I think following the underlying CMS's requirements is best-practise as other components do that as well.
BTW: I run on a very cheap provider and I was pleasantly surprised that they already offer php 7 (and every version below that): just a matter of selecting the version you want and of you go :)

sharing = caring

Time to create page: 0.558 seconds