Kunena 5.1.15 Released (27 Oct 2019)

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 5.1.15 [K 5.1.15] which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 3.9.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 5.1 and issues discovered during the development stages of K 5.1.

× Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question [Merged topic] Video in Kunena

More
7 years 11 months ago #51 by sozzled
Very simply put, some videos are allowed and some aren't. There are countless examples where you can upload videos - even to this forum here - if you browse the topic [Merged topic] General testing of K 1.6 features ... more examples than I could count. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #52 by mcmoody
It looks like the conventional video methods are all around embedding videos from other sites. My forums require my users to be able to upload directly into our website, preferably, the same way we upload images now through kunena. Is there a way to add a button to the edit list that uploads a video directly through the message board interface?

If not, out of curiosity, would you recommend installing jomsocial or something similar that allows video uploading so users can grab videos from their own profiles to share? This is an internal site and people will not necessarily have youtube accounts, etc. I'm trying to make this SEAMLESS and simple and all we really need on the site is message boards. No other social bells and whistles.

martha

More
7 years 11 months ago #53 by sozzled
We had an interesting discussion "around the table" on this subject yesterday. The general view of three of us who participated in this discussion was along the lines you, too, have concluded, Martha. That is, the general approach to displaying videos on Kunena is that they're hosted off-site and only the links need to be embedded in the forum.

Of course there are mechanisms for users to upload videos to your website but they come at a number of costs.

Take, for example, a simple video in .AVI format that lasts a mere one minute. That's about 64 Mb. Now, it's easy to upload 64 Mb (or, roughly, 3 times the size of a standard Joomla installation kit) to your website using FTP but it's not so easy to upload 64Mb via a PHP script on a shared webhost were, typically, you're restricted to a maximum limit of 10 Mb. Therefore one hurdle that you may have to deal with is how to get these files on to your server.

Let's assume a less-extreme example. Instead of a high-quality video in .AVI or .WMV format, let's go "down-market" to .MPG format and suppose we're now talking about uploading the same 1-minute long video but, instead, we're now only talking about 4 Mb. While it's certainly possible for a PHP script (in most cases) to handle the upload of 4 Mb, you also have to ensure that the Joomla Global Configuration allows for these different file formats. As we have already discussed earlier in this subject, some people - some deviously-clever people - have discovered ways of insinuating malicious code into some of these file formats and, by allowing these things to be uploaded on to your website, you're inviting some people to use your website as a platform to spread malicious software content. This also needs to be another factor in your consideration.

There also comes the question of storage cost. If you allow your users the means to upload files to your server, you may find yourself in the situation where it becomes difficult to maintain your site, backup and restore the site, because your server has become bloated by all this "extra" content that you've allowed. In extreme cases, it may reach the stage where no-one can add additional content if you've reached the storage quota set by your web hosting provider.

As I've mentioned before, there are many ways that you can host video content on your website. You can, for example, use video gallery components - just like you can use photo gallery components - and let your users share video content between one another in that way. I know, we're discussing something that lives "outside" the forum but I'm merely explaining that there are many ways for people to upload video content on your site. You can, for instance, use a Joomla article (where you can employ HTML5 <video ...> tags, if you want.

The main focus on this discussion topic seems to be about the "seamlessness" requirement for a forum to allow the upload and subsequent display of video content. As Jiminimonka remarked, this is not commonplace. In our discussion yesterday, none of us could name a web-based forum (e.g. phpBB, SMF, or anything else) where we'd seen this kind of feature provided. If someone knows of an example, we'd love to see it in operation for ourselves.

The point, therefore, of my comments here is that it's definitely possible within Kunena to link to video content that was uploaded to a website or that is hosted elsewhere - perhaps off-site. There are many examples posted on this site containing videos (I pointed to one such topic in my last reply). Not all video formats are supported and not all video content providers are catered for in Kunena. With the Kunena 1.7 series at end-of-life, and with our priorities now set on delivering K 2.0, this situation is unlikely to change in the very near future.

More
7 years 11 months ago #54 by Jiminimonka
Further to what Sozzled just wrote, I quote the JomSocial System Requirements for Video Upload

JomSocial wrote: php.ini Tweaks

When it comes to large photo/video uploads, there are a few inter-related php.ini configurations that you will have to tweak in order to avoid timeout errors.
Those are:

1.max_execution_time = 9000 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
2.max_input_time = 9000 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
3.memory_limit = 1024M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume
4.post_max_size = 1024M ; Maximum size of POST data that PHP will accept.
5.upload_max_filesize = 1024M ; Maximum allowed size for uploaded files.

That is a LOT of server load, and on a website with lots of users potentially uploading at the same time, you would need a website like YouTube to be able to handle it.

A video that is 1024M is going to be very short, or very low in quality/resolution, so you would ned to increase the load a lot more to enable users to upload a 10GB video for example. Even with compression that takes 20-30 minutes to get onto YouTube, which is dedicated to the task.

Please read the FAQ.
Only one question per topic.
Search before you ask a question.

More
7 years 5 months ago #55 by johnD
So is the new version any easier to add Video Providers. I am a teacher so Youtube is out and band in many schools. I use Techsmith Camtasia 8 to create video and their new Screencast website allows hotspots. I would love to have Screencast.com as a provider. Please please.
cheers
johnD

More
7 years 5 months ago #56 by Groenteman

The general view of three of us who participated in this discussion was along the lines you, too, have concluded, Martha. That is, the general approach to displaying videos on Kunena is that they're hosted off-site and only the links need to be embedded in the forum.

I would like to be able to add a video in kunena that is stored on the websites server.
What does hosting cost on a clustered server? 3 euro without limitation. So the data transfer
and storing won't be a problem. The problem is kunena to not allow it.

I use hwdvideoshare and users can upload a video to the server but after 1.7 kunena doesn't
autoembed the player anymore. I can't downgrade to 1.7 because of the changes in the DB.

How to get this solved please?

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds