Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question [Merged topic] Video in Kunena

More
13 years 4 months ago #11 by freedomcoach
Replied by freedomcoach on topic Re: Video in K1.6
xillibit, is this fixed yet?

Sincerely,
Howard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #12 by sozzled
Replied by sozzled on topic Re: Video in K1.6
The feature is still deliberately disabled in K 1.6 for security reasons.

More
13 years 4 months ago #13 by freedomcoach
Sozzled:

That is interesting. I had no idea that was the reason. Are there any plans to make this work down the road?

Sincerely,
Howard

More
13 years 3 months ago #14 by freedomcoach
Sozzled:

Are the video issues resolved in 1.6.2?

Sincerely,
Howard

More
13 years 3 months ago #15 by sozzled
freedomcoach: The security issues involved with using (or should I say, misusing) the

However, if your are asking if there has been a relaxation of the policy to allow the unfettered use of the [video] tag by Kunena users, then the answer is that K 1.6.2 still keeps that policy intact.

More
13 years 3 months ago #16 by freedomcoach
Sozzled, thanks for this update. Can you shed any light on the rationale for this policy? Has the Kunena team taken it upon itself to police or control the content being presented on a forum?

They are not doing that with text or images so why do it with video? Perhaps there is another rationale for this policy. If it is too politically hot to share publically, you can let me know on skype and I give my word not to repeat it in any public place.

Sincerely,
Howard

More
13 years 3 months ago #17 by sozzled
The rationale for this policy is simple. Unscrupulous people can sneak malicious code into innocent-looking video files. When people "play" these video files, they're affected. The developers of Kunena are not prepared risk their reputation (that would result, among other things, in the removal of Kunena from the Joomla Extensions Directory), or suffer the opprobium of the Joomla community, by allowing the Kunena forum product to become a vehicle for those who have no scruples to dump malicious code on the unsuspecting users of Kunena forums around the world.

Therefore, in order to protect the majority of users against the malicious intent of others, the means of allowing the kind of software payload (as I have mentioned) has been removed until a more safe/secure method can be used for playing video files. Currently, therefore, the only safe secure means is to use an approved list of trusted video providers.

More
13 years 3 months ago #18 by freedomcoach
Hi sozzled,

Thanks for this clarification. It makes total sense. Last I checked, youtube was the only video provider on the drop down list that worked. Maybe this has changed recently.

Is it reasonable to assume that if a person uploads a video to youtube with embedded malicious code. it will detected and deleted or the code will be stripped out of the video file?

This would then be the only way to justify trusting videos from youtube. It also suggests that if you want to post a video onto your forum, figure out a way to get the video onto youtube.

Sincerely,
Howard

More
13 years 3 months ago #19 by sozzled
It is reasonable to conclude that, because YouTube vets all uploaded videos before they can be accessed by an unsuspecting public, anything that does not conform to YouTube's Terms of Service will not be allowed to be hosted. I can't draw any other conclusions about other video providers.

More
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #20 by N6REJ
Replied by N6REJ on topic Can't use local video's
ok, either i'm horribly stupid or video embedding is extremely ambiqous.
I'm trying to embed video's from the my server into a private kunena forum.
These are training video's so they contain content I don't want the world to see.
I can embed vimeo, youtube no-problem. If I chose flash and put the url into the insert video html area I get just a link.
What in the world am I doing wrong?
I find it amazing that I would need some sort of special plug-in to do what it appears kunena already does.
PLEASE SOMEONE tell me how to do this.

I see current, flash, quicktime surely one of these must be designed for local video :blink:
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by N6REJ.

Time to create page: 1.321 seconds