Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Disappointed from Kunena

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #21 by etusha
Replied by etusha on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
first open again Donate Zone
second do u need any help for K1.6 (im not a coder )
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by etusha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #22 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
Donations will open soon, but not right now. We are also looking for other means to get some money for the development.

We can use help in many places. Everything that is done by someone else than developers will help us allocate more time to coding.

Here are some tasks, but the list is not complete (anyone can participate to these):

Forum: Helping other users where you can really makes difference. Supporting users takes a lot of time and all questions that are solved by moderators or community will help us to get new release out sooner. Moderators will also filter bugs and solutions to the developers, so that they are easier to find and fix.

Documentation: Updating/reviewing documentation is something that needs to be done now and then. Today I used many hours to update only small part of the documentation (mainly installation). Of course there are things that are known only for core team, but community can make a difference, too.

Testing: We do have testing group, but currently joining to the group is not automatic. If you want to test Kunena, you can ask me to add permissions to testing forum..

K1.5 Bug fixing: we need someone who will be responsible on choosing which bugs will be fixed and perhaps committing them to our SVN.

Designing K1.6 (default) template(s): report to me, if you feel you're up to it.

Implementing K1.6 features: report to me, if you feel you're up to it.

• cXc
  • Visitor
14 years 7 months ago #23 by cXc
Replied by cXc on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
skillless wrote:

@basnet
Your problem with signature and preview maybe an individual problem, because at most of us these features work without any problems.
Make a new thread with more information about your system and used components, so we try to help you.

I'm having the same problem and have added my info to the tracker at JoomlaCode, this is the only thing keeping me from switching over to Kunena, I'm currently running Fireboard 1.0.5 rc2 live with Kunena installed but no menu item link to it.

As far as the rest of this topic goes, I'm not disappointed with Kunena at all :woohoo: its already better than it predecessor and development seems to moving along nicely. Everything has bugs and it takes time to fix things, what I can't fix myself I can wait for someone with more skills to address. That's how it is for all scripts, nothing ever works 100% of the time for 100% of the users, one constant as far as coding goes ... "THERE ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE BUGS!" ... and the team seems to work very hard to minimize the number of issues individual users will experience.

Anyway, compared to Fireboard, Kunena is 1000 times better and people should stop thinking of it as the *new* version of Fireboard which it isn't. Yes, it was based on Fireboard but at this point its been changed so much it can't really be considered Fireboard anymore. Many users have no idea how much has changed *under the hood* and focus on what they see in their browsers, if you took a look at the code instead you would find a lot of innovations and potential for Kunena. Kunena is young, still in development and should be thought of in that way, it's not Fireboard, the established (no longer being developed) buggy forum with inconsistent code from the past.

~cXc~

More
14 years 7 months ago - 14 years 7 months ago #24 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
The best place to report bugs is our support forum. Please post your problems into Kunena 1.5 Support Forum or Kunena 1.0 Support Forum depending on Kunena version.
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Matias.

More
14 years 7 months ago #25 by Eclipse
Replied by Eclipse on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
Matias wrote:

Our original plan for Kunena was to create a new forum software for Joomla 1.5 without taking legacy code from FireBoard with us. Unfortunately for us FireBoard project died -- someone had to take over the project and to support its users. So instead of releasing FB 1.0.6 we renamed the last FB to Kunena 1.0.6 and released it by ourselves. What we didn't expect was the popularity of our software. So instead of implementing the new Kunena 2.0 we ended in fixing over 1000 bugs in the legacy code.

Now it's finally time to move forward. We are taking different direction from FireBoard: they tried to make new features (FB 2.0) on top of the old code. Unfortunately I have learned in half a year that changing something in the old code is not easy. Every new feature will most likely break something that you didn't expect because of the current code is not well structured.

I'm just GOBSMACKED by the amount of work that must have been! Wow! So all this is just tidying up the old forum, and you haven't even been able to get to the real project yet? wow! You guys are amazing!

What happens if/when some of you burn out/need to retire? Who "owns" this project, or runs it, etc? What are your rules for handing it on to other developers? Because I know I'd burn out if I'd been working on something this hard and getting this much whining in return for all my efforts.

More
14 years 7 months ago #26 by nbroadsword
That's the life some people live. Being a code monkey is everything to them, whereas for instance, working on networks means everything to me. It's a job for me, and I get paid, granted this skilled group probably does it as a hobby -- I am sure they get paid big bucks being code monkeys somewhere else though.

Time to create page: 1.730 seconds