Kunena 6.3.0 released

The Kunena team has announce the arrival of Kunena 6.3.0 [K 6.3.0] in stable which is now available for download as a native Joomla extension for J! 4.4.x/5.0.x/5.1.x. This version addresses most of the issues that were discovered in K 6.2 and issues discovered during the last development stages of K 6.3

Topics contains old discussions (generally more than one year ago or based on circumstances that subsequently changed) or topics resolved in other ways. Topics moved into this category are closed from further discussion.

Question Disappointed from Kunena

More
14 years 8 months ago #11 by terrence klaverweide
sunnyjey wrote:

After stable version, I was waiting for addition of New Advanced features like Polls, Groups etc, but the present team is more concentrating on adding new communities like JS, Joomunity-- making it more complicated and slow.

I actually went ahead and bought Jomsocial, after Kunena devs announced 'big plans' for it, so you may want 'advanced features like polls', I just want it to be fully integrated with JS.

What I am saying is that you speak as if you speak for a whole nation, but it are just your PERSONAL needs you're reflecting here.

Relax, your advanced features will come, sooner or later.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #12 by halo3montage
I am not disappointed in Kunena being a basic joomla forum application. But for people comparing Kunena to other forums (vBulletin & phpBB)... you will be disappointed.

The basics like groups, polls, and multiple image uploads (in both posts and forum signatures) should high priority.

Anyways, thats my two cents.

Keep up the good work Kunena.

More
14 years 8 months ago #13 by skillless
And now see the time Kunena is being developed and how long vBulletin or phpBB exist...
Kunena is on the right way with an active developerteam, so you won't get disapppointed.

More
14 years 8 months ago #14 by schmatzler
If you like phpBB then use phpBB.

Kunena is another solution, all forum system have their pros and cons. ;)

More
14 years 8 months ago #15 by RjSteed
Replied by RjSteed on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
In reading the initial poster disappointments, what I am understanding is this (and I see it too with a great many programs)...

A program comes out, usually its a fine idea. Eventually, the developers get lost in all the wants and desires of the people using it that it appears they get off track from thier original intent. So we the ill fortunate people who cannot spend the kind of money it takes to run a real website which costs thousands to operate and maintain, end up having to wait until what we have chosen to use is working properly.

SO, in short. Time would be better spent in just getting the program working before adding more fluff. Thats my belief of what he is trying to say...

Now I must add, I did not read all the posts in this thread. Only because of the difficulty in figureing out whats being said.

I do have to say, so far Kunena is running fine on both of my sites with the exception of the Community builder profile intergration. I did do a post on this but have not noticed any respones as of yet.

More
14 years 7 months ago #16 by basnet
Replied by basnet on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
i was running a forum on phpbb3, but i was satisfied with the look and compatibility of phpbb3. so moved to kunena and all i got is disappointment. i had posted queries but they never got a reply. i am having a problem with dyfunct preview and my signature doesnt display. if my users cant preview their post, thats a big let down for my website.
if any one can solve my problem???
i am thinking about going back to phpbb3 now. kunena is great but it has got lot of bugs and they go unresolved.

More
14 years 7 months ago #17 by skillless
I say it again, don't compare vBulletin/phpBB with Kunena, yet...
It's like looking at Cisco Systems and another growing (!!!) networking company. Kunena needs time.
If you're not satisfied with the component, yet, then try another.
When you remember where Fireboard was at November 2008 and Kunena now is, you'll understand what I mean.
Kunena IS already the best integrated forum for Joomla, now just take you some time and get surprised how it grows :)

@basnet
Your problem with signature and preview maybe an individual problem, because at most of us these features work without any problems.
Make a new thread with more information about your system and used components, so we try to help you.

More
14 years 7 months ago #18 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
I've been recovering from the flights and a nasty virus which I got just before leaving to the airport after Dev Meeting.

I'm currently working on Kunena 1.5.6 to fix the regression we made in K1.5.5. Otherwise Kunena 1.5.6 will have no other fixes/features as I want to get the new release out within a few days after we have properly tested it.

We are not dropping support for Kunena 1.5, but we will focus mostly on bug fixes from now on. The reason is that we see no future for Kunena if we keep using all our resources to make new features for old legacy (JoomlaBoard/FireBoard) code, which does not work well in Joomla 1.5 and which does not work at all in Joomla 1.6.

Our original plan for Kunena was to create a new forum software for Joomla 1.5 without taking legacy code from FireBoard with us. Unfortunately for us FireBoard project died -- someone had to take over the project and to support its users. So instead of releasing FB 1.0.6 we renamed the last FB to Kunena 1.0.6 and released it by ourselves. What we didn't expect was the popularity of our software. So instead of implementing the new Kunena 2.0 we ended in fixing over 1000 bugs in the legacy code.

Now it's finally time to move forward. We are taking different direction from FireBoard: they tried to make new features (FB 2.0) on top of the old code. Unfortunately I have learned in half a year that changing something in the old code is not easy. Every new feature will most likely break something that you didn't expect because of the current code is not well structured.

More
14 years 7 months ago #19 by etusha
Replied by etusha on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
Matias thanks for your reply
any date for 1.5.6 and 1.6

send me for tests :)

More
14 years 7 months ago #20 by Matias
Replied by Matias on topic Re:Disappointed from Kunena
Well, I had one extra day to work on Kunena 1.5.6. It contains 15 bug fixes and will go to testing later today. I'd like to have it released within 3-4 days.

Giving dates for Kunena 1.6 is harder as it depends on how much time each of the team members has and how much we will convert to use Joomla 1.5/1.6 MVC.

We have already made huge changes to the database schema and we have models for most forum screens (categories, category, messages, recent discussions, my discussions). We have also new BBCode engine and mostly working view for recent discussions. Also backend has seen its share of changes.

My first impressions from Kunena 1.6 are very good: its very fast in my test server, even without any caching (disabled for now). It has also really clean design, both inside code and in template.

Time to create page: 0.523 seconds